Sewing

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I's advise you to buy it in the store and not on the ebay. Mostly because you can try it out in the store; you have more machines to choose from, and so on.

Maybe you could see which brands are available in Italy; there are some brands that are only available in the US and some that are in Europe.

It sounds like everyone knows what there doing and love it i would really love to sew and learn everything i can but i dont know how to get started i havent had the time to right now but i was wondering how everyone else did and what are some tips you can share. books? tutorials?

Originally Posted by loveBaby It sounds like everyone knows what there doing and love it i would really love to sew and learn everything i can but i dont know how to get started i havent had the time to right now but i was wondering how everyone else did and what are some tips you can share. books? tutorials? I've been sewing since I was 6, my college major was Apparel Manufacturing, and I work in the apparel industry. Of every book I've seen on the subject, the best one, in my opinion, is "Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing", it takes you from beginner to tailor. There are great books for beginners and great books for advanced skills, but that one has it all. You may also want to search for classes at your local college, community center, or meetup.com.

Great advice from Samantha! Many craft and fabric stores have sewing lessons also. Stock up on a few basic books, shears, pins, tape measure and cheap fabric. The public library even has how to sew videos. You can buy beginner sewing dvd's online too. Then try to find a used working sewing machine to practice with. It's all in the doing. The money I save not having to buy expensive plus sized clothes is absurd! If I didn't know how to sew I would be looking for a teacher....

It's great to see there are a lot of fellow sewers on this forum! Sewing is great, and lots of fun!

sorry SG, i don't make my own clothes. lets just say "its not my cup of tea."

I don't know how to IMHO. I can stitch a hole back together, but nothing serious. I'd love to learn though!

It is sure nice to hear about other peoples projects. I don't know any sewers where I live now. I am self taught but come from a family of sewers. My mom stopped sewing when I was young. I have got her back into it. She even calls me for advice. That is the coolest. I few years ago I made my husband a deep purple wool three piece suit. It was my frist time with wool. He looks super fly in it! My new thing is corsets. I made my own pattern. I didn't like the ones I was finding. I sew as often as I can. My kids love it. Nice to meet you all!! Keep up the good work.

Hey girls check out this site. It has pattern, sewing machine, notion reviews, etc. There is alot of great info. My mom has taken 2 classes. One, she said, had great info but she disliked the teacher. The second she just loved. She is very happy with it. I have never taken a class but I look things up all the time.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

Try your local library. Mine has lots of good sewing books. I have been reading books by Claire B. Shaeffer. She is great. I hope this helps someone out. There are not enough sewers in the world anymore.

Originally Posted by Guenevere Does anyone here who sews use a coverstitch? I don't. I am saving money to buy one though
smile.gif

Are you looking at a specific machine? I have the Husky 936 right now but I'm curious as to what anyone else might be using.

Originally Posted by Guenevere Are you looking at a specific machine? I have the Husky 936 right now but I'm curious as to what anyone else might be using. Not really. But I think I'll stick to Pfaff. I'm really impressed with their quality and the performance of the machines.

Originally Posted by Maychi Not really. But I think I'll stick to Pfaff. I'm really impressed with their quality and the performance of the machines. Have you done a trial run on a coverstitch by Pfaff yet? If so, how was it?

Originally Posted by Guenevere Have you done a trial run on a coverstitch by Pfaff yet? If so, how was it? Sorry, not yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Originally Posted by Maychi Sorry, not yet. I'll let you know when I do. Thanks! A friend of mine has a Brother and says she likes it. Coverstitch machines tend to be funny, some work really well and are really easy to handle and some are a pain in the butt. I had to get used to mine, but I sew mostly lycras and stretch and I wanted to do lycra straps and binding and it seems that the only coverstitch machines that really do that well are industrial, which I don't really want. I finally got to a comfortable point sewing the kind of things I do with mine about 4 months after I got it and really kept working on it. Now I love it and I can't believe I ever did any sewing without it. This is what I do...

Originally Posted by Guenevere Thanks! A friend of mine has a Brother and says she likes it. Coverstitch machines tend to be funny, some work really well and are really easy to handle and some are a pain in the butt. I had to get used to mine, but I sew mostly lycras and stretch and I wanted to do lycra straps and binding and it seems that the only coverstitch machines that really do that well are industrial, which I don't really want. I finally got to a comfortable point sewing the kind of things I do with mine about 4 months after I got it and really kept working on it. Now I love it and I can't believe I ever did any sewing without it. This is what I do... Oh, wow! That's amazing! Great job! I guess you're doing this professionally. I want to try sewing underwear and bathing suits, but I'll get to that after I get a coverstitch.I really like your work!

Originally Posted by Maychi Oh, wow! That's amazing! Great job! I guess you're doing this professionally. I want to try sewing underwear and bathing suits, but I'll get to that after I get a coverstitch.I really like your work!

Thank you! I've been doing this kind of sewing for a while now, mostly for exotic dancers. I've just recently been working on getting started on ebay and later I hope to set up a web site for my corsets and other lingerie. If you want to sew lingerie though you don't really need a coverstitch I love the look of a lingerie zig zag stitch. The coverstitch definitely helps for swimwear though.

Back