Should I have my daughters ears pierced??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say wait till she's old enough to decide for herself. Control of one's life is important even at a young age. 
yay.gif

Originally Posted by sweetnsexy6953 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sry ladies, havent checked this section in a while. I havent gotten them pierced and I probably wont until shes able to decide. I guess we'll just see what happens.

Good decision. Better to let her decide than actually stepping in. Especially for personal purposes.

I waited to 6m which was considered late in my family but my daughter was a NICU baby. if you feel that piercing is the way to go then do it. she won't remember it at all. 

i had mine since i was a newborn and haven't really gone a day without earrings.

if you decide not to pierce you can always do headbands with flowers..they are so cute and chic.

I got my ears peirced when I was a baby, and my little sister did also. My little sister is half hispanic, so when she was a couple months old she got hers pierced, and she had gold studs, gold necklace, gold ring, the whole lot. It was really cute. 

I think girls should always have their ears pierced, the earlier the better, its just part of being a girl.

Plus, I think that they are more permanent if they are done early on. I mean, I've noticed that a lot of guys who get pierced ear(s) end up having them close up really easily. I have gone forever without putting any earrings on and I've never had them close on me. 

Originally Posted by me0wmix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my ears peirced when I was a baby, and my little sister did also. My little sister is half hispanic, so when she was a couple months old she got hers pierced, and she had gold studs, gold necklace, gold ring, the whole lot. It was really cute. 

I think girls should always have their ears pierced, the earlier the better, its just part of being a girl.

Plus, I think that they are more permanent if they are done early on. I mean, I've noticed that a lot of guys who get pierced ear(s) end up having them close up really easily. I have gone forever without putting any earrings on and I've never had them close on me. 
I agree. Mine were done by my aunt when I was a baby (needle and thread), and my own daughters ears were done by the doctor when she was 6 months as well (18k gold studs). :)

My daughter is such a girl, she loves her earings.  She now has little 14k hoops and shows them off at every opportunity.

I wanted it to be my own daughter's choice and at 4 years old she begged to have it done so I took her to get it done. I think my daughter is allergic to metals because her ears always were infected unless she wore gold. She had her ears pierced for years and strangely enough in second grade(I think), one of her ears closed. I didn't allow her to get them re-pierced until she was 12(last year).

I've been wanting to get my daughters ears pierced for a while (she's 2) BUT I also want to wait to let her decide.  I'm really on the fence about it.  I got mine done for my 5th birthday and it was a great present.  I'm also scared that if I get it done noe she'll pull them out or rip them out or something.

I also agree that you should wait until your daughter is old enough to make that decion herself and not want to pierce them just have people stop confusing your daughter for a boy. I have mine pierced by my Aunt when I was 2 weeks old.

I also believe in the child making the decision for herself even just plaiting as it is in our culture. I understand as parents we wish well for our children but there is a limit.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by me0wmix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's kinda like saying all girls should be wearing dresses.  Maybe some don't like it.  Maybe they don't want holes at all in there body.. but they had no choice in the matter because their parents just wanted to get them done.  I agree w/waiting till the child knows whats going on and can decide for herself.

and tbh..I'm a very girly female.. and I love piercings.. of all kinds..

but regular ear piercings.. gag me w/a spoon.. I just don't think its that pretty :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />... I would rather have stretched lobes and a boring little ear piercing.

Depends if your child really wants it or not, but I don't think it's necessary.

I didn't have my ears pierced until my high school graduation. LOL.

Then I didn't wear earrings for a long time until the holes in my ears disappeared.

Basically, I didn't wear earrings for 6 years now! I guess I'm not into decorating my ears.

I think you should wait until she's older. I think my little girl would look adorable with them but I feel like that is her decision and if she wants them when shes a little older than we'll make it like a special day for her.

I got mine done at a very young age, my mom waited until my sisters were old enough to ask to have theirs done.

My sister had a baby 3.5 months ago and got her babies ears pierced a few days after she was 12 weeks, and had recieved the birth certificate in the mail.

Here in Canada you can have a childs ears pierced at 12 weeks, as long as you have the birth certificate to proof she is 12 weeks old.

She didnt cry or squirm at all. They look great!

My sister said her nerves arent fully developed so young, so she doesnt feel pain, the same way she is not tickelish yet.

My sister is the one who obviously turns them everyday and keeps them clean, she hasnt had any problems at all yet.

She picked small stainless steel ball studs. I will post a picture if I remember too.

My parents gor my ears pierced when I was very young, and I have to admit that I am very very very grateful for that! I love wearing earrings, but I would be too scared to get my ears pierced now, so I'm glad I don't remember the pain.

Once I have children, I think I will do the same thing my parents did.

I got my daughter's ears pierced when she was 9 months old. I took a lollipop with me and they had one piercer on each ear and they did them both at the same time. As soon as they went through I stuck the lollipop in her mouth and she didn't cry one bit! I suspect this is because that was her first taste of candy ever lol Now she's 3 1/2 and she LOVES having her ears pierced. Earrings are always something that she asks for any time you ask her what she wants for her birthday/christmas/easter etc. I'm really happy with the decision to do it early on. I'm afraid that it would be about now that she'd be deciding that she wanted them pierced if I waited until she brought it up, and with a toddler it would be much harder to make sure the piercings were properly taken care of!

I do think that you should pierce your baby even she is still infant. Just make sure that the tools to be used are sterilized.  Or it's best to let doctors do it.

I wish I had gotten my ears pierced earlier! I think I was about 15 or so when I got it done, so I was really nervous and freaked out about it. And to make matters worse, I had this weird cyst thing develop at the site of the piercing of one of my ears and it had to be redone, which was a pretty painful process (it's all healed and normal now). I would have much preferred to have gotten them done when I was a baby and I wouldn't have even remembered the process, or have known to have been freaked out about it!

I went grew up with and went to school with a lot of Portuguese kids and all their little baby sisters had their ears pierced from a very young age. Seemed to be a cultural thing. None of them ever seemed to be the worse for wear from having it done. I dont know, though, if I could put a baby through that. For some kids little bits of pain can be super traumatic. For others, they just seem to shake it off. That's one of the many reasons I couldn't bring myself to allow the doctors to circumcise my boys after they were born. Many years later I had seen a group circumcision ceremony done in a small backwoods village and was glad I made that decision. A lot of those poor kids went into shock afterwards and were stiff as a board. Not quite the same as an ear piercing but it's still unnecessary pain subjected on a child. I got my ears pierced when I was 13 and my nose at 21, and even then it hurt like a bugger. Then there's always the possibility of infection, etc. Then again, babies seem heal a lot faster than older kids and adults. Only you more or less know the pain threshold of your own child. But you definitely shouldn't feel pressured to do it for any reason.

I think it's fine, as long as you care for them properly, she will probably want them when she is older anyway

It's completely up to you but I don't think she should have her ears pierced just to make other people aware that she's a girl, who cares what other people think?  Some people I know had their daughters ears pierced at around 6 months old and some waited until their daughter was old enough to decide on her own. I just don't think it would be right to pierce her ears just to make other people happy. Best wishes in whatever you decide to do :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back