Should I let my daughter wear makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although lipstick at 8 years old and a child who is 'the envy' of other little girls at school are not great things either and not something I'd be encouraging with my own daughter. Those are negatives IMO and not good values for a child to be forming at such a young age.

What values are you referring to? I see make up as a form of self expression and a fun form of art.  As long as you raise your kids right and don't get it in there heads that self value is based on looks, then there's nothing wrong with it. 

make up, beauty and looks is just one aspect of any human being.  wearing make up (at 8 or at 14) doesn't prevent one from growing into a strong young woman, beautiful both inside and out.  as women we don't have to choose between beauty and brains... or beauty and heart.  we can have it all, i thought that was the whole point of make up.  

my concern is primarily if the make up looks appropriate.  when a little girl wears ridiculous amounts of make up (such as on that horrible pageant show) and appears as an adult woman, this is when we as a society have majorly screwed up.  when an 8 year old wears lip gloss or whatever, and still looks like an 8 year old, i don't see it as anything more as "being girly" which some women enjoy more than others due to nothing more than natural differences in temperament.  some 8 year olds might want to climb trees, others may wish to wear make up, and some might do both... this says nothing about their future potential or "value."  

Originally Posted by vicka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

make up, beauty and looks is just one aspect of any human being.  wearing make up (at 8 or at 14) doesn't prevent one from growing into a strong young woman, beautiful both inside and out.  as women we don't have to choose between beauty and brains... or beauty and heart.  we can have it all, i thought that was the whole point of make up.  

my concern is primarily if the make up looks appropriate.  when a little girl wears ridiculous amounts of make up (such as on that horrible pageant show) and appears as an adult woman, this is when we as a society have majorly screwed up.  when an 8 year old wears lip gloss or whatever, and still looks like an 8 year old, i don't see it as anything more as "being girly" which some women enjoy more than others due to nothing more than natural differences in temperament.  some 8 year olds might want to climb trees, others may wish to wear make up, and some might do both... this says nothing about their future potential or "value."  

Some girls just are the envy of other girls.  I didn't say I'm encouraging her to be something she isn't.  Perhaps you were never the envy of anyone but it is either you are or you're not.  In the real world, you are either the one employers, teachers, boys etc are going to pick or you are not.  Its a part of life.  Its a lesson she's going to learn sooner or later and she has learned to deal with being popular without growing a large ego or swelled head.  She is secure with her own image.  Hopefully, this will not change as they grow older and other girls become more vindictive.

Why would you say that a girl who is the envy of other girls is not a great thing?  I was and it was great.  

She and I made those cosmetics.  She picked the colours and we made them.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Although lipstick at 8 years old and a child who is 'the envy' of other little girls at school are not great things either and not something I'd be encouraging with my own daughter. Those are negatives IMO and not good values for a child to be forming at such a young age.

I was actually referring to DivaDoll's reference to bringing up children with certain 'values' and then saying her daughter is the envy of other little girls at her school. What is that teaching such a young child? That physical appearance etc is of great importance and that being envied by others is a good thing. I have no problem with girls wearing makeup but really believe that young ones at that age should be forming a good solid basis as human beings *before* moving onto the stages of makeup, etc. Playing around with it at home at that age is one thing. Wearing it out anywhere at such a young age is another. I personally wouldn't allow that with my own daughter. Not at that age.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was actually referring to DivaDoll's reference to bringing up children with certain 'values' and then saying her daughter is the envy of other little girls at her school. What is that teaching such a young child? That physical appearance etc is of great importance and that being envied by others is a good thing.

I have no problem with girls wearing makeup but really believe that young ones at that age should be forming a good solid basis as human beings *before* moving onto the stages of makeup, etc. Playing around with it at home at that age is one thing. Wearing it out anywhere at such a young age is another. I personally wouldn't allow that with my own daughter. Not at that age.

but physical appearance is important.  how we look matters in virtually everything we do from interpersonal relationships to career success. 

Perhaps you should take more time in reading posts... I've repeatedly said my daughter does not wear any makeup to school.  

I mentioned that the OP should decide with her daughter according to her values. I'm not telling her what her values should be.  In the end, she has to live with her decision - no matter what advise we give her in this thread. 

My daughter is the envy of other girls because other mothers at the school seek me out to tell me that their daughters all talk about how great my daughter dresses and how cute she looks all the time.  I'm not teaching her to strive to be the envy of anyone.  I am teaching her that this situation will not always exist and that she will one day find that such attention will not be around.  She is free to enjoy it while it lasts and that in the end, she should always rely on herself and her abilities. It is a fact of life that some people will stand out more than others.  They will get more opportunities because they are remembered.  Am I wrong here?  I know that if people don't know you exist, they aren't going to remember you when there's a good opportunity to be had. 

Yes! and they've done many experiments even with young children as to how they would react with someone good looking vs someone who is ugly.  Its called a Halo Effect.  

Originally Posted by vicka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but physical appearance is important.  how we look matters in virtually everything we do from interpersonal relationships to career success. 

Nothing wrong with letting her wear a little bit of makeup and slowly work from there. If you don't let her, she will do it behind your back!

I don't think being beautiful on the outside is the most important thing in the world, but feeling confident is very mportant and makeup might help a little bit in that department.

I personally think 8 is very young to have their thoughts occupied with makeup and stuff.

Teenage years is where i believe they should be introduced and encouraged to take more care of oneself. otherwise it would real hard to do so once they get older.

Really?  My daughter wants to be a fashion designer.  She's been obsessed with what she can do with clothing since she was 3 when she turned my long sleeve t-shirt into a pleated skirt.  My son and I were pretty amazed on how well it hung on her.  She's fascinated with makeup because we make them together.  She's not obsessed with it but she will wear some on occasion except for school.

Originally Posted by Doya G /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally think 8 is very young to have their thoughts occupied with makeup and stuff.

Teenage years is where i believe they should be introduced and encouraged to take more care of oneself. otherwise it would real hard to do so once they get older

let her remain natural or..els give her good products

dnt let her in dark make up's start with nude colours

n

putting on kohl is not bad  restrict eyelnes foundation n al sorts of damaging products!

the rest is on u!..

jus tke d write decsion :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

xD

- EYE c@n do !t... 

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really?  My daughter wants to be a fashion designer.  She's been obsessed with what she can do with clothing since she was 3 when she turned my long sleeve t-shirt into a pleated skirt.  My son and I were pretty amazed on how well it hung on her.  She's fascinated with makeup because we make them together.  She's not obsessed with it but she will wear some on occasion except for school.
I think it depends on how you are brought up and the environment.

Frankly the world is changing. my days is so different than my Mom's and of course our kids would be different.

My brothers and Mom keep asking me what is it about makeup.. why do you need it so. They dont understand that makeup is just another way of looking good just the same as buying a new outfit wanting to look good. its not about changing yourself or feeling a somebody with it. we need to emphasize this point to them.

But yeah, I'd love my daughter to go through all stages of life, childhood is playing with barbies, not wanting to be one.

i'm not judging, by the way.

my best advise is to be makeup buddies with your daughter. dont judge her, dont restrict her too much. that way she'll be comfortable to ask for your opinion and go with it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think 14-15 is an exceptable age to begin wearing makeup. I would find products that you feel comfortable with her wearing like lipglosses, light coloured shadows, mascara.

I don't think she will need a full face of foundation, powder, blush, bronzer, concealor and highlighter at that age, but you can spend time teaching her about makeup and whats appropriate.

I actually just purchased a very light mineral powder set and a very very light neutral eyeshadow palette, clear and black mascara and clear lip gloss for my younger sister she is 14 (of course with permission from my mom). I got it for her cause she kept using my moms makeup and that can be frustrating in its self when things come up missing. The time when she used my moms makeup, was because she was embarrassed of her blemishes and she was trying to cover them up. Another thing I don't want her using friends makeup or sharing makeup because of the germs out there. I remember seeing the horror stories of girls when i was in high school sharing makeup and getting gross eye infections, it just isn't sanitary because they didn't know any better. Me and my mother have been educating her on makeup not to use or share with other people and ask if she ever needs help or an opinion.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My daughter is very stylish at 8.  She's actually the envy of many girls at her elementary.  She doesn't wear any makeup at school. Blush and lipstick at subtle colours are ok.  Oddly enough, when she is wearing some eyeshadow, it looks like she put on mascara to go with it and when she wears lipstick, she looks like she has blush on too.  (I've tried to wipe it off and she didn't have any on)

This is no different from when my Aunties used to put eyeshadow and lipstick on me when I was 4.  

The way I'm reading the OP: is her daughter old enough to wear makeup?

What I'm referring to is daily use of makeup. I'm assuming if her daughter is going to wear makeup it's going to be on a daily basis. When I mention that 8 is too young to be wearing makeup, I'm saying as part of her daily routine. At that age, glittery children's lipgloss would be the most I'd allow. I see no problem in playing with makeup at a young age. I remember playing dress up as a child and I would sneak into my mother's makeup bag. And many children's plays acquire the use of makeup. Heck, halloween is all about costume/makeup and even in photos a little color is sweet. When I mention that 8 is too young to be wearing makeup, I'm saying as part of her daily routine. At that age, glittery children's lipgloss would be the most I'd allow.

i think letting her wear mascara is okay now too, it makes the eyes pop. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Plus if you think about it, the more you say no the more likely she's going to go to school and borrow her friends makeup and wear it then. I know i did that lol. 

I actually homeschool my daughter so there is no way that she can go behind my back and put makeup on. I'm still debating whether I should let her start wearing makeup or not. She is a total tomboy and I hope that her personality won't change just because I let her start wearing makeup. 

Back