Skincare Helpppp!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've done the 3x washing method a couple nights already and the difference is amazing so far. MY combination skin that is normally oily by the end of the day is absolutely free of oil today and all I did was wash this morning and moisturize! The lack of an oil field of a face is worth the washing alone! I'm super excited about it! Thank goodness I found this thread! 

Ive done it like 3 days,  it seems to be making my skin  blotchy and  my blackheads  more  noticeable, maybe its bringing them out and open . I think  I will try it   a week or so. Im curious lol

Oh Im 48 , my skin is  just normal I guess. I use  the neotragena bar on my face, now I see bumps and now  my blackheads are really noticeable

Quote: Originally Posted by katcole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ive done it like 3 days,  it seems to be making my skin  blotchy and  my blackheads  more  noticeable, maybe its bringing them out and open . I think  I will try it   a week or so. Im curious lol

Oh Im 48 , my skin is  just normal I guess. I use  the neotragena bar on my face, now I see bumps and now  my blackheads are really noticeable
Maybe that soap is too harsh on your skin that many times in a row? Perhaps try it using Cetaphil? It's the most gentle soap I have ever used. Maybe give that a try? 

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And using an oil based cleanser as the final step in your cleansing routine is absolutely perfect. I realize this may seem counter-intuituve to those who have "oily" skin, but, more often that not, it's not *excess oil* that's causing the problem, it's *dehydration*....when the skin isn't hydrated enough, the natural reaction of the sebaceous glands is start working overtime to produce excess oil in order to make up for the hydration deficiency...

A good, basic, inexpensive, Ph-friendly cleanser that I recommend often is Cetaphil :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hope this helps!
Speaking of oil cleansing, I have been reading about using oil cleansing for makeup removing. Everything form sunflower oil to EVOO. It kind of sounds like one of those things that people say is a great "home made" thing to do, but in actuality is totally ineffectual or doing harm to your skin. So the routine would go: Remove makeup with oils, Cleanse, Exfoliate, Moisturize. Any opinions on that?

Also, on the dental related note, that whole ordeal sounds awful :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My one experience with a root canel involved me being in the docs office from the time they opened until after they closed because they kept having to stop... Because they couldn't get me to stop bleeding. It was terrible, and has lead to me avoiding dentists for a while. Guess I need to make an appointment though, sigh.

Quote: Originally Posted by Amby6912 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm happy I found this. For years I've had an issue with one type of acne: hormonal related. It's always in the same areas every month exactly 7-8 days prior to "good" old aunt flo. Blah! I've tried every cleanser I can possibly get without paying a fortune and without going to a dermatologist. Most either go on my "does not work" list or goes on my "worked for awhile but stopped working for some reason" list. I generally wash my face in the morning and night (as I should) but I was only washing once in the morning and once at night after using a makeup removing wipe. Then I'd moisturize. After reading through this thread I think I'll try the 3x in a row at night after my makeup remover and 2x in the AM before makeup. It's the only thing I have never done. Though, since purified water dries my skin out in a nasty way I dread what my skin will feel like using cleanser 3x in a row! Thank you for the great advice, though! I will definitely give it a shot because if it doesn't work it probably means I should see someone about it! 

And one final thing: I hear about sulfur masks and acne treatments and was curious on your thoughts on them over stuff with things like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide (which have been the only things to clear my skin up in the past) . I posted this as a separate thread but well, this seems like a better place to ask it! TIA! 
I can't speak to this point from personal experience, but I do know that Sulfur has been used succssfully for (literally) hundreds of years to address many different skin conditions..(dermatitis, keratosis pilaris, etc.)

While it may see moderate success as an acne treatment, I definitely think their are more advanced options available on the market today, and, IMHO, that tends to make it a somewhat outdated choice...

I'm a huge fan of AHA's..Lactic and Kojic are my go to acids for treating acne, especially if residual scarring is present from previous lesions 
smile.gif

Hope this helps!

Quote: Originally Posted by allistra44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

0d59e99e0af3f1a29fe4077192c944e7.jpg

Also, skincare related question. On days I want to use a mask where do I put it in my routine? Do I do the mask first and then cleanse, tone, moisturize? Or somewhere in between? 

Follow up question, do you have a favorite mask? 
smile.gif

@allistra44-that picture is SPOT ON! You know me pretty well 
add_twinkle.gif

Masks should always be used as the last step BEFORE you start layering hydration/moisturization...the one exception to this is if it's in a professional setting and the esthetician/skin care professional is using ampules to target specific areas, then, depending on the issue, the ampule would be applied first, typically manipulated with some type of electrical current, and then the mask will be applied to promote/ensure optimum absorption...but at home, your routine should look something like this:

1.) Cleanse (3 TIMES!.. You know the drill!)

Like I covered earlier in the thread- cleansing is key..if your skin isn't cleansed properly, then nothing else you layer afterwards is going to absorb..

2.) Tone (only if necessary) 

I addressed this up thread, as well, but it bears repeating that a toner should only be used when the Ph of the skin needs to be balanced..

3.) Exfoliate (this part varies drastically based on the individual's skin type, so you have to find what works for you, whether it be once, twice, three times a

week, etc..)

4.) Mask (to answer your question, I don't have a favorite..I have about 30 favorites lol..let me know what issue you want to address specifically, and I'll 

give you my top 5)

5.) Eye cream (of all hydrators, this should be applied first, and without getting too in depth, the main reason why has a lot to do with how the skin surrounding 

the orbital bone is structured)

6.) Hydration/Moisturization (layer these in order of consistency..water based first, oil based second)

Hope this helps!

Quote: Originally Posted by cg0112358 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Late to the game but referred this way by some ladies in the Jan Ipsy thread.

I have oily skin (all over) but have dry patches on my face. I was told about the washing 3x routine, which I started tonight, but do you recommend a cream cleanser for the dry patches or deal with the oil issue by using a gel cleanser?

What cleanser do you recommend for someone like me? I'd love a recommendation for a drug store type (less expensive) and a more expensive type. Also, exfoliator rec too?

ETA: oh, and you're located in NO? I might just have to drive the 2.5 hours east to come visit for skin help...

and apparently I should have finished the thread before posting since reading others posts prompted me to think of other questions....
Hi, @cg0112358 and welcome
smile.gif

As far as recommendations go for a more expensive cleanser, I highly recommend Yonka's Lait Nettoyant and Gel Nettoyant..these have been in my personal rotation for the last 9 years and I don't see them being replaced anytime soon.. A good cleanser in the drug store price range that I recommend fairly often, as well is Cetaphil. I've already addressed up thread the benefit of a using a cream based wash for the third and final cleansing, so be sure to check that out in the first few pages 
smile.gif

I'm actually located in Lake Charles, which, unfortunately is an additional 3.5 hours across the state, but if your ever in my area, definitely get in touch!

Hope this helps!

Quote: Originally Posted by katcole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, @katcole...I addressed up thread the importance of incorporating cleansers in your routine that are protecting the acid mantle of the skin not destroying it, so definitely check that out in the first few pages 
smile.gif

I would have to see your skin in person to give an accurate diagnosis, but it's very possible that the Ph of the cleanser(s) your using is too harsh, which could be the culprit for your blotchy patches..I might suggest finding a recommended skin care professional in your area that specializes in extractions for the removal of blackheads..if she's truly skilled, the difference can be amazing! 

Please let me know how your skin progresses!

Quote: Originally Posted by Amby6912 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I've done the 3x washing method a couple nights already and the difference is amazing so far. MY combination skin that is normally oily by the end of the day is absolutely free of oil today and all I did was wash this morning and moisturize! The lack of an oil field of a face is worth the washing alone! I'm super excited about it! Thank goodness I found this thread! 
I'm happy your already having such great results @Amby6912! Please keep me updated!
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by KellyKaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been washing 3 times at night and twice in the morning and the improvements are out of this world!
SO happy your seeing awesome results! As soon as I finish answering posts on this thread, I'm PMing you back! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by goldendarter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Speaking of oil cleansing, I have been reading about using oil cleansing for makeup removing. Everything form sunflower oil to EVOO. It kind of sounds like one of those things that people say is a great "home made" thing to do, but in actuality is totally ineffectual or doing harm to your skin. So the routine would go: Remove makeup with oils, Cleanse, Exfoliate, Moisturize. Any opinions on that?

Also, on the dental related note, that whole ordeal sounds awful :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My one experience with a root canel involved me being in the docs office from the time they opened until after they closed because they kept having to stop... Because they couldn't get me to stop bleeding. It was terrible, and has lead to me avoiding dentists for a while. Guess I need to make an appointment though, sigh.
@goldendarter- the problem with skincare is that their are SO.many.differing opinions across the board....the advice I offer here is just that..my own opinion from my own professional experience as a medical esthetician for the past 13 years, and I would like to encourage everyone reading along to please keep that in mind! As I stated in the introductory post, my way is certainly not the only way,  but my intention is that, as a result of such, those reading this thread can benefit through their own personal experience  
wink.gif

If I'm being completely honest, I think the main reason "oil" cleansers have had such success in the markets lately is because prior to, so many people were using cleansers with a Ph off the charts high that completely destroyed the acid mantle, or protective barrier of the skin and stripped all their natural oils away..the presence of oil, by itself does *not* produce acne..that's a huge misconception that's been blown way out of proportion for far too many years..our skin needs sebum (oil), or else, from a biological standpoint, we wouldn't produce it...the problem lies in the products we use (more specifically their Ph levels), which, again, heightens the novelty of oil cleansers because, in essence, their just replenishing what should be a normal, natural balance..

There will always be those more inclined to natural skincare, and to that I say, if EVOO works for you, fantastic! 

Whatever you use, the most important thing is finding and keeping a lipidic balance so that your sebaceous glands aren't overcompensating what should already be naturally occurring 
smile.gif

Hope this helps!

(and I'm so sorry to hear about your dental nightmare...I can definitely relate!)

Late to the game but referred this way by some ladies in the Jan Ipsy thread. I have oily skin (all over) but have dry patches on my face. I was told about the washing 3x routine, which I started tonight, but do you recommend a cream cleanser for the dry patches or deal with the oil issue by using a gel cleanser? What cleanser do you recommend for someone like me? I'd love a recommendation for a drug store type (less expensive) and a more expensive type. Also, exfoliator rec too? ETA: oh, and you're located in NO? I might just have to drive the 2.5 hours east to come visit for skin help... and apparently I should have finished the thread before posting since reading others posts prompted me to think of other questions....
Hi, @cg0112358  and welcome :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> As far as recommendations go for a more expensive cleanser, I highly recommend Yonka's Lait Nettoyant and Gel Nettoyant..these have been in my personal rotation for the last 9 years and I don't see them being replaced anytime soon.. A good cleanser in the drug store price range that I recommend fairly often, as well is Cetaphil. I've already addressed up thread the benefit of a using a cream based wash for the third and final cleansing, so be sure to check that out in the first few pages  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm actually located in Lake Charles, which, unfortunately is an additional 3.5 hours across the state, but if your ever in my area, definitely get in touch! Hope this helps!
Thanks! So you don't recommend a cleanser for oily skin? I'll look into the Yonka and can easily pick up the Cetaphil. I though someone mentioned you being in NO. Lake Charles is actually much closer, I live about 10 min west of Lafayette.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @allistra44-that picture is SPOT ON! You know me pretty well 
add_twinkle.gif

Masks should always be used as the last step BEFORE you start layering hydration/moisturization...the one exception to this is if it's in a professional setting and the esthetician/skin care professional is using ampules to target specific areas, then, depending on the issue, the ampule would be applied first, typically manipulated with some type of electrical current, and then the mask will be applied to promote/ensure optimum absorption...but at home, your routine should look something like this:

1.) Cleanse (3 TIMES!.. You know the drill!)

Like I covered earlier in the thread- cleansing is key..if your skin isn't cleansed properly, then nothing else you layer afterwards is going to absorb..

2.) Tone (only if necessary) 

I addressed this up thread, as well, but it bears repeating that a toner should only be used when the Ph of the skin needs to be balanced..

3.) Exfoliate (this part varies drastically based on the individual's skin type, so you have to find what works for you, whether it be once, twice, three times a

week, etc..)

4.) Mask (to answer your question, I don't have a favorite..I have about 30 favorites lol..let me know what issue you want to address specifically, and I'll 

give you my top 5)

5.) Eye cream (of all hydrators, this should be applied first, and without getting too in depth, the main reason why has a lot to do with how the skin surrounding 

the orbital bone is structured)

6.) Hydration/Moisturization (layer these in order of consistency..water based first, oil based second)

Hope this helps!

I stumbled across this thread last week and decided to try the 3x cleansing. It does seem to be making my skin clearer and brighter, so thanks for the info! I've been using the Mario Badescu enzyme cleanser, which seems to be gentle enough for the job.

For someone with combo oily skin, mainly in the t-zone, and the occasional breakout what mask(s) would you recommend? I don't use any currently, but I would like to start.

I want to thank you Tiffany for your advice, skin has been clearing up, I am not overworking my skin, Instead i'm barely trying to use too many products, simple wash in the morning, and simple wash in the evening, just adding a light moisturizer. I found Tea Tree Oil really helped not overdoing it, but only on trick areas, just going to drink a lot of water as especially think this will help me as my skin tends to get quite dry in the cold seasons so need to keep the moisture. Really greatful

Quote: Originally Posted by cg0112358 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks! So you don't recommend a cleanser for oily skin? I'll look into the Yonka and can easily pick up the Cetaphil.

I though someone mentioned you being in NO. Lake Charles is actually much closer, I live about 10 min west of Lafayette.
Oh, wow! Then your really close to me.. lol! 
claps.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by QueCera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I stumbled across this thread last week and decided to try the 3x cleansing. It does seem to be making my skin clearer and brighter, so thanks for the info! I've been using the Mario Badescu enzyme cleanser, which seems to be gentle enough for the job.

For someone with combo oily skin, mainly in the t-zone, and the occasional breakout what mask(s) would you recommend? I don't use any currently, but I would like to start.
Hi, @QueCera, and you are most welcome! I'm glad your seeing results!  
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Just about any clay or mud based face mask will aid tremendously in oil absorption..one of my personal favorites is Wei's Golden Root Purifying Mud Mask...

Hope this helps!

Quote: Originally Posted by AlexandraB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I want to thank you Tiffany for your advice, skin has been clearing up, I am not overworking my skin, Instead i'm barely trying to use too many products, simple wash in the morning, and simple wash in the evening, just adding a light moisturizer. I found Tea Tree Oil really helped not overdoing it, but only on trick areas, just going to drink a lot of water as especially think this will help me as my skin tends to get quite dry in the cold seasons so need to keep the moisture. Really greatful
@AlexandraB-anytime! I'm always happy to help...please keep me informed on your progress! 
biggrin.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hi, @QueCera, and you are most welcome! I'm glad your seeing results!  
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Just about any clay or mud based face mask will aid tremendously in oil absorption..one of my personal favorites is Wei's Golden Root Purifying Mud Mask...

Hope this helps!
Thanks! I actually have a sample of this too! I'll have to try it tonight.

Back