Skincare Helpppp!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this thread is still active. Anyone know of any cream, ointment whatever for the face to fade/prevent the appearance of freckles or dark spots? I am currently using Garnier Skin Renew dark spot corrector and Neutrogena Rapid Tone Corrector (at night) but I haven't seen any difference yet. Actually, getting new ones. I'm home most of the time, so it may be the lights in the house ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. And, yes I use a sunscreen at home. Thanks in advance.

Quote: Originally Posted by boxnewbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not sure if this thread is still active. Anyone know of any cream, ointment whatever for the face to fade/prevent the appearance of freckles or dark spots? I am currently using Garnier Skin Renew dark spot corrector and Neutrogena Rapid Tone Corrector (at night) but I haven't seen any difference yet. Actually, getting new ones. I'm home most of the time, so it may be the lights in the house
wink.gif
. And, yes I use a sunscreen at home. Thanks in advance.
Hi, @boxnewbie!

Sorry it took me a few days to respond...I must have somehow over looked the notification for this thread!

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that will *prevent* the appearance of hyper-pigmentation (i.e. dark spots/freckles) is to completely remove yourself from UV exposure, which, unfortunately is next to impossible, as even basic indoor light bulbs emit UV radiation, (albeit in seemingly small amounts).

The myth for many, many years, and, unfortunately even for many people still today, is that the majority of your "sun damage" is acquired prior to your 18th birthday, but this logic is based solely on the fact that people under the age of 18 spend more time outdoors (kids playing in the yard, teens sunbathing, etc.) than do adults over the age of 18...which, depending on the person/lifestyle/etc.. is simply untrue, and from a statistics standpoint, terribly inaccurate. I'm not sure where you fall in the age spectrum, but wherever you are-it is never too late to take cautionary measures!

As for fading your existing pigmentation, I'd definitely recommend something with a stronger acid content than what your able to pick up over the counter as the  active content in most OTC's won't be high enough to really correct and/or lighten the areas of issue...which is probably why you haven't seen much of a difference with the Garnier product you've been using.  My go to's for treating hyper-pigmentation are usually a combination of lactic and kojic acids....just make sure when checking the labels on a potential treatment product that these two acids appear in the first half of the list, and the closer to the beginning, the better :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hope this helps!

Tiffany - just wanted you to know that after reading these blogs for over a year and just lurking - I had to join up so that I could write and tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your expertise here. I am 67 but have leared from you. I am now washing 3X and telling all my girlfriends (womenfriends?) to do the same. It reallly makes a difference. I am so pleased that you are still posting and look forward to more. You should write a book - or something. BTW I just ordered the Gel Nettoyant cleanser - will be ordering the Cranberry Gommage and L'Occitans She Butter. I think that if you recommend something it is worth a try. Hugs.

This method CURED my acne breakouts that I get every month around my period! As long as I stick to this, I don't break out then. If I slack even a little...well, let's just say when I did because an injury made it difficult...I'm still clearing up that breakout. So having to wash my face like this every day vs. nasty breakouts around that time of the month...I think the extra few minutes in the morning and evening to do this washing is completely worth it especially since at least one of those can be worked into your daily shower routine. Man was it a mistake to lapse in my washing routine (even if it was due to injury that made it difficult). I've sung the praises of this method to everyone who will listen and several have already said they've seen great results. Man, where has this information been my entire life?! Thanks @Tiffany27la! You're a lifesaver! Now, if I could just fade the marks from the past acne!

Quote: Originally Posted by DumbBlond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Tiffany - just wanted you to know that after reading these blogs for over a year and just lurking - I had to join up so that I could write and tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your expertise here. I am 67 but have leared from you. I am now washing 3X and telling all my girlfriends (womenfriends?) to do the same. It reallly makes a difference. I am so pleased that you are still posting and look forward to more. You should write a book - or something. BTW I just ordered the Gel Nettoyant cleanser - will be ordering the Cranberry Gommage and L'Occitans She Butter. I think that if you recommend something it is worth a try. Hugs.
@DumbBlond, I can't even begin to tell you how much your comment means to me...THANK YOU 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

As I've said before, it's never too late to start, and I'm SO thrilled you were able to find some of my advice helpful! Please keep me informed on your skin's progress, and I would love to hear your thoughts on the products after you introduce them to your rotation! 

Take care,

Tiffany 
wink.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Amby6912 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This method CURED my acne breakouts that I get every month around my period! As long as I stick to this, I don't break out then. If I slack even a little...well, let's just say when I did because an injury made it difficult...I'm still clearing up that breakout. So having to wash my face like this every day vs. nasty breakouts around that time of the month...I think the extra few minutes in the morning and evening to do this washing is completely worth it especially since at least one of those can be worked into your daily shower routine. Man was it a mistake to lapse in my washing routine (even if it was due to injury that made it difficult). I've sung the praises of this method to everyone who will listen and several have already said they've seen great results. Man, where has this information been my entire life?! Thanks @Tiffany27la! You're a lifesaver! Now, if I could just fade the marks from the past acne!
@Amby6912-Yaaaayyyy!!! It's always so great to hear such positive results! I'm so thankful that so many of you are seeing such a tremendous difference in your skin...as I've said before upthread, I sort of stumbled upon the "Cleansing 3X" method early on in my practice when I was having difficulty treating a few of my break-out prone patients, and it really does work! Of course, the Ph level of the cleansers being used are VITAL as the end goal is to keep the acid mantle balanced and in tact 
wink.gif

So sorry to hear about your injury! I'm wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Tiff

Hi Tiffany! Sorry if you said this already, but how do we know the pH level of our skin, as far as knowing whether we need to use toner after washing to "balance" it? how do we know the pH of the cleansers we're using?

Oh, I'm so, so glad there's a professional who has knowledge here! (not meant to offend anyone else, I just value people with experience).

I'm curious - I really want to purchase a whole new load of products for my beauty regime (skincare) but, I've found most high-end, luxury brands such as the ones I wish to purchase are harsh, have unnatural and possibly harmful ingredients. I'm wondering do you have any favourite skincare brands and why?

PS: I've got oily, acne-prone skin.

Thanks in advance! xx

Quote: Originally Posted by kira685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, @kira685!

For some reason, MUT isn't letting me properly re-quote today..sorry about that! I'm pretty sure I've already addressed this upthread, but it bears repeating, so I'll go into a tad more detail..hopefully you (and the others reading!) will find it helpful 
sdrop.gif

The "ideal" pH level of the skin is 5.5...you can get a bit more technical and address the acid mantle, or protective barrier of the skin, which is primarily formed from the bonding of sweat and sebum on the skin, not necessarily the skin itself, (this can get confusing!) and it's pH level should be somewhere between 4 to 5.5...the problem is we can't exactly test our skin to find out what our individual pH level is..(Well, I suppose you could hold a piece of litmus paper against it if you really wanted to, but I can't speak to the validity of that!) we only know what it should be..

After so many years of doing this, I can usually tell the minute I touch someone's face if their Ph is off, but it won't be quite as easy for you guys, so what you have to do is pay attention to how your skin feels... Keep in mind that pH stands for "potential hydrogen", so it stands to reason that if your face feels extremely dry and tight (either after cleansing, or any other time for that matter..) that your pH level is most probably not optimal...

Whether you need to use toner or not will depend on the pH level of the cleanser your using. Sadly, a LOT of products on the market today-especially over the counter, have extremely high alkalescent pH, which destroys the acid mantle, or protective barrier of the skin..ideally, you should be using products that will stabilize the optimal pH level, which is 5.5

Some companies print the pH level right on the packaging of their products, however, most do not..so if you really want to know what your putting on your face you can pick up some pH sticks/strips from Wal-mart for around $5 (if memory serves me correctly!) and conduct your own test! 

Hope this helps!

Quote: Originally Posted by SebastianValois /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh, I'm so, so glad there's a professional who has knowledge here! (not meant to offend anyone else, I just value people with experience).

I'm curious - I really want to purchase a whole new load of products for my beauty regime (skincare) but, I've found most high-end, luxury brands such as the ones I wish to purchase are harsh, have unnatural and possibly harmful ingredients. I'm wondering do you have any favourite skincare brands and why?

PS: I've got oily, acne-prone skin.

Thanks in advance! xx
Hi, @SebastianValois!

I understand completely the struggle to find quality skincare...unfortunately, the wide-spread problem is that their are many differing opinions across the board on what's considered to actually be harmful, versus those ingredients that could be potentially harmful, or harmful if used over an extended period of time, etc.etc..

Add to that people's own personal creeds for product ingredients, or lack thereof, (no animal by-products, organic, fair-trade, etc..) and what your left with makes it nearly impossible for me to recommend a singular product or line in existence that anyone has yet to find some sort of fault with 
icon_frown.gif

Now that I've gotten my "disclaimer" out of the way, I can tell you with 100% confidence that, IMHO, (and anyone following this thread for a while already knows what I'm about to say lol)....Yonka is one of best skincare lines I've ever had the pleasure of working with in my 13+ years in this business..I won't go into a ton of detail here, (I'm not compensated in any way for promoting their line), but their product philosophy is based largely around aromatherapy and phytotherapy, and if your in the market for new skincare, I highy, highly recommend them..their Gel Nettoyant and Lait Nettoyant have stayed in my own personal rotation for over a decade and I truthfully don't ever see them being replaced..

Another brand that's garnered my attention as of late is Arcona..I'm a huge fan of their Cranberry Gommage and intend to try other products from the line very soon, as well..

Hope this helps!

ETA: Yonka's Pamplemousse for normal to oily skin is amazing!

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JK5R1O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3PO705FHGOIMT

What do you think of these? I'm so skeptical, because they sound waaay too good to be true. Cleansing everything off your face with just water?
Hi, @kotoko!

I checked these out, but I must admit that I'm not a part of the "microfiber and water" cleansing revolution
blink.gif

Given everything I know about the extensive ingredient lists comprising most of the cosmetics we slather on our faces everyday, I just have to believe that anyone seeing moderate success employing these as their sole cleansing mechanism has to be starting with a relatively blank canvas (i.e little to no makeup/cosmetics on their skin to begin with)...water is simply not strong enough to break down the chemical bonds that comprise most of the products we use on a daily basis much less cleanse them completely from our faces..

Again, I'm sure you'll find those waiting in the wings to disagree with me, and that's fine..but I would love to see/hear from someone who wears a full face of makeup everyday speak to the efficacy of this particular method..I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone!!

Hope this helps!

Okay, so I was going through my routine with a friend and explaining how the washing 3x changed how I do my skin care stuff and she asked me something: since you're supposed to layer your skincare in order of heaviness, where does sunscreen fit in? Before serums and moisturizer? After serum but before moisturizer? Does she use her toner before as well (I don't use toner)? I'm not really sure. I usually use makeup with SPF so if I am using actual sunscreen it means I'm going swimming and am wearing ONLY sunscreen and nothing else. So what do I tell my friend? 

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JK5R1O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3PO705FHGOIMT

What do you think of these? I'm so skeptical, because they sound waaay too good to be true. Cleansing everything off your face with just water?
http://www.amazon.com/My-Konjac-Sponge-Bamboo-Charcoal/dp/B00B1M0XCG/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1395644082&sr=1-2&keywords=charcoal

I will say i bought one of these and use it with my cleanser and I LOVE it it makes my skin so soft after i wash it (3 times hehehehe )    it is super gentle and has a great shape to get around my nose and stuff.  

Hi Tiffany! What's your best tip for hyperpigmentation/acne scars? I have normal skin that gets oily throughout the day.

Back