Skincare Secret: Green Tea Bags

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by lalalalila /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my mom told me about this "secret" a long time ago, but I only started doing it recently...

Drink one or two cups of caffeinated green tea every day...but save the tea bag! Squeeze out the excess liquid and leave it so that it's just damp, not dripping. And then dab it all over your face (assuming you have no make-up on), focusing underneath your eyes and on top of your eyelids.

So you basically use the green tea bag in place of a toner or refresher spray.

And I kid you not...the results have been fantastic for me!

Green tea is high in antioxidants which nourish and refresh the skin...and the light dose of caffeine has a rejuvenating effect. Skin feels softer and smoother after you do this.

It makes sense...since green tea face masks and moisturizers are sold in stores.

I've been doing this daily for about two weeks now and have seen some serious improvement in my skin.

Give it a try! =)
Im gonna try this. Thx!

Do you wash your face after or just "wear" it the hole day? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

thanks lalalalila as I take green tea three times a day and usually I throw the bag, but yeah your idea deserved a try atleast, will do so . Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quotes: lalalalila /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A face mask is actually more work. [SIZE=inherit]It's much easier to just dab a tea bag on your face and then throw it away (with no mess whatsoever), as opposed to applying a mask, letting it sit for a while and then rinsing it off. [/SIZE][SIZE=inherit]It's also killing two birds with one stone: drinking tea to keep your body healthy, plus keeping your face healthy at the exact same time. =)[/SIZE]

NaturalRadiance 

I suppose that makes sense too, but I feel that there are other benefits to using a face mask. I use the rinse-free type of face masks (meaning you don't have to rinse your face after using this kind of mask) so there's really no mess involved. In your super busy day, putting on a rinse-free face mask actually forces your body to slow down and makes you focus on your breathing. So, letting the face mask "sit" is a guarantee way to allow yourself relaxation time.

Face masks have other ingredients that could be harmful or possibly ruin certain antioxidants in the tea. A lot of companies lie and actually have only a hint of green tea in their products. Look on the ingredients list and if green tea is close the the top they put a good amount of tea, otherwise you're wasting your money. Plus, consider the price between the two. Using just green tea bags sounds more efficient.

magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tea contains hundreds of active ingredients, among which you find theine, antioxidants, tannins, vitamins and microelements. Therefore, yes you will find theine (which is the same as caffeine) in tea.

However, the amount of theine in the tea depends on which kind you're talking about. Green tea like Sencha, or white tea (Yin Zhen, Pai Mu Tan) contains a small amount of theine. Black teas usually have a higher content.

Also, it depends on its quality, i don't want to spit on them but there really is a difference between supermarket teabags and loose leaves teas from tea stores (which can also be sold in individual muslin bags). The supermarket varieties are almost powdered teas with lots of tannins, responsible for the bitter taste. On a side note, muslin is the best stuff for a good brew.

So try getting some loose leaf green tea (white is more expensive), you can also try rooibos which doesn't contain any theine, or detheined tea.

Technically theine only develops in the first minutes of brewing, tannins develop as long as you keep the teabag in the cup, and they attack theine. So if you let your tea brew for a long time, you should get a tea without much theine. The risk is the tannins' bitter taste.

I read you can also run your tea bag under tap water before brewing it, but that i haven't tested.

Anyway, if you use the tea just on your face, just brew it as usual. If you want to drink a part of it, well that's up to you, i personally would still brew it the same way. But i thought caffeine had positive effects on your skin (blood circulation ?), so i don't really bother with whether or not my tea contains theine
laughing.gif
Yes, you're right. I believe loose tea is better too, but only better for drinking. I believe the tea bags are more convenient for dabbing our face with. You also need a strainer for loose tea. If you do not have a strainer, then how will you separate the tea leaves from the tea? Also, since the leaves aren't in a tea bag, it will be quite messy to apply this. If you let your tea brew for a long time there won't be as much theine, but it'll also taste bitter (I didn't know that was tannin, I learning so much about tea from you). I would say this is more of a routine to do in the morning, since it has theine and it'll likely wake us up.

Hello, 

I have also heard about green tea bags that it reduce puffiness and dark circles under eyes. It increases skin tone. But i never try it. Thanks for sharing such helpful information. I will defiantly apply it.

Back