(Spoilers) Julep April 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I agree... You know I'm going to try that next time.  The Seche top coat is new for me, I just got it about a month ago, so I knew that it helps dry the underneath layers but I thought I had to have them mostly dry before applying it.  So my next mani I'm just going to put on all the layers, throw on the SV, and see how it goes! I think back to before I ever really used top coats and I'd sit there and wait patiently for each layer to dry before putting on the next.  I guess I'm just old school, ha ha!  If this works how you say it will I'm so excited not to have to wait anymore!
Applying SV to dry/nearly-dry polish is a ticket straight to major shrinkage! I usually let my nails dry just enough that the color isn't completely unset so it won't come up when I brush on the top coat, so not even a minute. Probably more like thirty seconds. If that long.

Quote: Originally Posted by LethalLesal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  That is really shady for them to pawn off old shades that were on sale for full price.  

I finally got my order today that I placed back on the 7th for Tatum, Kayla, and Ursula.  Does their "free Maven shipping" usually take that long?  I'm not impressed!  I'm definitely cancelling after this month unless I love the May colors as well.  I just made a $50 order with Rainbow Honey, so I'm going to be set on polish for at least a year anyways.  
Yeah the free shipping takes 5-10 days.  Usually about a week for me.

I'm also thinking about canceling.  I really want the OPI Brazil Collection, it looks so gorgeous and there's shades that will work for fall/winter as well so it's kind of a year round 'summer' set.  That will be about $70 if I order the full collection on eBay.  If I cancel Julep it'll pay for that set in 3 months time, and instead of getting only 6 shades plus a few beauty products I might not use I'll have 12 shades in bottles almost twice the size.  I never have the problems with formula in an OPI polish like I do with the Julep ones lately.

I think I'm talking myself into it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Applying SV to dry/nearly-dry polish is a ticket straight to major shrinkage! I usually let my nails dry just enough that the color isn't completely unset so it won't come up when I brush on the top coat, so not even a minute. Probably more like thirty seconds. If that long.
Thanks for the tip!  I never knew that about SV before, so glad I asked you all about it.

I'm calling tomorrow and officially cancelling, actually.  I'm not even waiting to see the May colors. 

I put my Tatum on, extremely excited as I've been coveting it for weeks now.  It did the same thing as that Billie Jean did.  It was extremely thick, and never dried.  I'm going to try to apply the Kayla later on this evening after my son goes to sleep, so that I can see if it will do the same before I call them.  I can't believe I paid $11.20 for these two polishes right now =(

Thank goodness I had that 50% off coupon.  

I also should probably check their return policy.  I really hope I'm not stuck with this awful polish.

ETA:  Wow I just read their return policy.  A $4.95 restocking fee?!  No!!!! That's absurd, and I'll be disputing the charge with my credit card company if they try to charge me anything as, as the product I received was not the product advertised. 

Has anyone else ever tried to return anything to them before?

I'm calling tomorrow and officially cancelling, actually.  I'm not even waiting to see the May colors. 

I put my Tatum on, extremely excited as I've been coveting it for weeks now.  It did the same thing as that Billie Jean did.  It was extremely thick, and never dried.  I'm going to try to apply the Kayla later on this evening after my son goes to sleep, so that I can see if it will do the same before I call them.  I can't believe I paid $11.20 for these two polishes right now =(

Thank goodness I had that 50% off coupon.  

I also should probably check their return policy.  I really hope I'm not stuck with this awful polish.

ETA:  Wow I just read their return policy.  A $4.95 restocking fee?!  No!!!! That's absurd, and I'll be disputing the charge with my credit card company if they try to charge me anything as, as the product I received was not the product advertised. 

Has anyone else ever tried to return anything to them before?
I had the exact same problem with Tatum!  I put on two coats and even waited in between to get it mostly dry, and it took so so long to dry completely.  I went out later on in the evening and the next morning I had dents all over my nails and that was over 2 hours after I put it on.  Then, when I took it off, it stained my nails horribly even with a base coat.

I will say that Kayla is an absolutely gorgeous color though.  I wore it this last weekend and I got more compliments on it than any other polish I've ever worn.  Although the formula is not great I might get a backup just because it's so beautiful.

I had the exact same problem with Tatum!  I put on two coats and even waited in between to get it mostly dry, and it took so so long to dry completely.  I went out later on in the evening and the next morning I had dents all over my nails and that was over 2 hours after I put it on.  Then, when I took it off, it stained my nails horribly even with a base coat. I will say that Kayla is an absolutely gorgeous color though.  I wore it this last weekend and I got more compliments on it than any other polish I've ever worn.  Although the formula is not great I might get a backup just because it's so beautiful.
It really is gorgeous, but I bet I will be able to find a close enough shade that doesn't take two plus hours to dry.

Anyone else having issues with the julep site? I'm logged in, but I'm not, it's not recognizing I'm a maven

Quote: Originally Posted by Pixikins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Anyone else having issues with the julep site? I'm logged in, but I'm not, it's not recognizing I'm a maven
The julep website is not one of the greatest.  You may just need to clear your cookies, go back and try logging in again.

Since I'm prepaid for May, I'm definitely skipping ad infinitum after that.  I'm sick of the shipping and there were just SO many formula fails this month.  The value isn't there for me anymore.  I've had way better luck and way better polishes from my Black Sheep subscription.  I've been wanting to get a polish bar sub and a something else as well.  I just need to explore.

Quote: Originally Posted by disconik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The julep website is not one of the greatest.  You may just need to clear your cookies, go back and try logging in again.

Since I'm prepaid for May, I'm definitely skipping ad infinitum after that.  I'm sick of the shipping and there were just SO many formula fails this month.  The value isn't there for me anymore.  I've had way better luck and way better polishes from my Black Sheep subscription.  I've been wanting to get a polish bar sub and a something else as well.  I just need to explore.
I'm with you. I also prepaid for May but I think I need to take a break from Julep (and also SquareHue, which I also subscribe to) after that. I have way too many untried polishes and have been disappointed in Julep's formula lately. I also am tired of having the colors that arrive in the mail look different than pictured on the site, which I know is a hazard of buying polish online--but still, Julep needs to step up their swatch game. 

Quote: Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm with you. I also prepaid for May but I think I need to take a break from Julep (and also SquareHue, which I also subscribe to) after that. I have way too many untried polishes and have been disappointed in Julep's formula lately. I also am tired of having the colors that arrive in the mail look different than pictured on the site, which I know is a hazard of buying polish online--but still, Julep needs to step up their swatch game. 
I suspended my square hue account yesterday.  The February box was just a loss for me.  I didn't like getting YET ANOTHER off white, the nude/antique rose color looked awful on me, and I just didn't dig the green all that much.  The formulas this month were really off and super runny.  

I'm going to suspend my Julep account after the May box, also.  I have enough jules to get May for free, otherwise I'd have done it already.  I'd rather use a code at Zoya and get full size bottles of colors that I want and in a consistently excellent formula than spend the same $$ at Julep.

Quote: Originally Posted by RedBadger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm going to suspend my Julep account after the May box, also.  I have enough jules to get May for free, otherwise I'd have done it already.  I'd rather use a code at Zoya and get full size bottles of colors that I want and in a consistently excellent formula than spend the same $$ at Julep.
This is me. I just got enough jules for free May box and after May secret store I am canceling. I probably have around 60 bottles and need a break. I want to go back to Zoya, Opi,  China Glaze and a few others. I have 40 untried polishes (not all Julep). I went crazy this last year buying nail polish and need to slow down. 

So this is a nice offer, Julep.  I also have some good coupon codes that you provided in my April box.  I'd really like to use the 25% off for a bronzer (GLOW25), but the dang blushes/bronzers are STILL not in stock!  Come on!  GRRRRRRR...

After all the issues with Tatum (way too thick and not drying at all), and after looking just about everywhere for a close enough shade match to Tatum before not being able to find one, and giving in and buying it from Julep... I found one today at Walgreens while I was picking up some photos from our vacation that I them print out.  

$3, and it's close enough for me.  I don't have a ton of polish, so I don't mind it being not an exact match.  It's got enough of the same color qualities for me.  Plus, it goes on BEAUTIFULLY, dries QUICKLY, and has almost 2x as much polish.  @prettylights hopefully this will help you out too.  I'll post a side-by-side comparison next week if anyone is interested.  

I was originally in the polish section looking for nail polish thinner, which I guess I'm going to have to go to Sally's or Ulta for, Walgreens and Target didn't have any! 

Quote:Originally Posted by linda37027 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is me. I just got enough jules for free May box and after May secret store I am canceling. I probably have around 60 bottles and need a break. I want to go back to Zoya, Opi,  China Glaze and a few others. I have 40 untried polishes (not all Julep). I went crazy this last year buying nail polish and need to slow down. I

You sound like me! I have always been a polish-a-holic, but I used to just buy whatever pretty color I saw at the grocery store-- usually OPI but also China Glaze or Sally Hansen.. I even own a couple Pure Ice's! But then I discovered Julep and I nearly lost my mind. I've been exclusively buying Julep since I joined in January, and have accumulated 56 polishes thus far. I still have a few on my list that I want to get, and I've probably only used a dozen or less of those 56 polishes... I need to chill out. I can't skip though since I joined in Jan, and I really don't want to cancel :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm gonna hang on a tad bit longer but I am going to refrain from making mulitple purchases each month like I have been! At least that is what I'm saying right now haha

After all the issues with Tatum (way too thick and not drying at all), and after looking just about everywhere for a close enough shade match to Tatum before not being able to find one, and giving in and buying it from Julep... I found one today at Walgreens while I was picking up some photos from our vacation that I them print out.  

$3, and it's close enough for me.  I don't have a ton of polish, so I don't mind it being not an exact match.  It's got enough of the same color qualities for me.  Plus, it goes on BEAUTIFULLY, dries QUICKLY, and has almost 2x as much polish.  @prettylights hopefully this will help you out too.  I'll post a side-by-side comparison next week if anyone is interested.  

I was originally in the polish section looking for nail polish thinner, which I guess I'm going to have to go to Sally's or Ulta for, Walgreens and Target didn't have any! 
Thanks for the heads up!  That's a really pretty color and I would love to see a side-by-side of it.  We should make a Julep Dupes thread!  Like I said before I don't have Octavia but from what I've seen online Finger Paints My Buoyfriend looks really close, and then we have figured out the Brigitte/FP white polish (can't think of the name right now!).  Lizanne also looks really close to OPI Amazon Amazoff.  Rae is a dupe for Essie Splash of Grenadine.

I know Sally's does carry the polish thinner, I've been meaning to pick up a bottle too.  I have Butter London in Bit Faker that I just realized I didn't put the cap back on tightly enough and it's a dried up mess.  It's such a beautiful color and I'd hate to throw it away so I'm going to see if putting in some thinner and letting it sit for a day can revive the poor thing.

Oh no, I haven't tried that one yet.  I did buy Brigitte to put underneath some of the sheer shades from last month hoping it will help make them brighter.  But I also had problems with Brigitte being goopy and taking a long time to dry, and it's really uneven with one coat.   Sigh.  Julep is not impressing me lately.  As I said earlier, I think I'm going to cancel this month unless I really love the colors.  I shouldn't have to fight with polish this much to get a good mani, especially with how much they charge ($14 full price, are you kidding me?? at least they have lots of sales).  And - if you finally get it on and looking good it takes forever to dry and I always wind up with a smudge that drives me nuts.  I have tried Bailey, Kayla, Brigitte and Tatum and all of them have issues. I had really wanted Octavia but I found a Sinful Colors dupe for $2 that looks almost the same from the photos I've seen (My Buoyfriend). I might just start doing that with Julep polishes I like - try to find a cheaper dupe first. With a good base and top coat (Seche) as long as the formula isn't totally awful the cheaper brands last just as long on me since I change my mani every 3-4 days anyway. They have one similar to Harriet that I want to get next.  For $20 a month I could pick up 2-3 OPI polishes that have better formula and twice the amount of polish. or 10 Sinful Colors, or hit up the sales at Ulta or Sally's.
I would absolutely go with Octavia dupe. I own it and posted a Braves mani with it a little while ago. The color is stunning, but formula it is the worst I have had in a while. It took forever to dry. Way way too long. And was thick and goopy from the start. As beautiful as it is, not worth the wait time.

Quote: Originally Posted by prettylights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thanks for the heads up!  That's a really pretty color and I would love to see a side-by-side of it.  We should make a Julep Dupes thread!  Like I said before I don't have Octavia but from what I've seen online Finger Paints My Buoyfriend looks really close, and then we have figured out the Brigitte/FP white polish (can't think of the name right now!).  Lizanne also looks really close to OPI Amazon Amazoff.  Rae is a dupe for Essie Splash of Grenadine.

I know Sally's does carry the polish thinner, I've been meaning to pick up a bottle too.  I have Butter London in Bit Faker that I just realized I didn't put the cap back on tightly enough and it's a dried up mess.  It's such a beautiful color and I'd hate to throw it away so I'm going to see if putting in some thinner and letting it sit for a day can revive the poor thing.

LOL! I'd be okay with a Julep dupes thread. As to a dupe for Octavia, try Zoya Pinta. I remember seeing the Octavia swatches originally and thought to myself that it looked like Pinta.

Quote: Originally Posted by wishingwillow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would absolutely go with Octavia dupe. I own it and posted a Braves mani with it a little while ago. The color is stunning, but formula it is the worst I have had in a while. It took forever to dry. Way way too long. And was thick and goopy from the start. As beautiful as it is, not worth the wait time.
Good to know, and BTW I saw that Braves mani and it was adorable :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL! I'd be okay with a Julep dupes thread. As to a dupe for Octavia, try Zoya Pinta. I remember seeing the Octavia swatches originally and thought to myself that it looked like Pinta.
Thanks for the tip!  I'm really hoping Zoya does their 1/2 price Earth Day promotion this year - I'm already planning on getting at least 10 polishes if they do.  

Back