(Spoilers) Julep April 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by prettylights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I had the same problem with Bailey.  It pooled on the sides of my nails (and since it's sheer that looked really stupid), took forever to dry, and bubbled on me too.  It was also so goopy, like actually had strings of polish hanging off the brush, that I got annoyed and just took it off.
I was really upset about this too, I got the full polish set and Bailey was the color I'd been looking most forward to. I went to put it on right away, it was the same with marion and caitlin. devastating, I've already used so much of these shades trying to do a single mani. 

I saw the spoilers for the mystery boxes, I got Kimberly because it was my namesake and it was "boho glam" supposedly, however the spoilers someone posted earlier showed the some of the shades i will be getting are clearly not Boho Glam. I have gotten disappointing mystery boxes in the past but never really paid attention because my collection was still small....is this a common occurrence, has anyone received their mystery boxes yet to know if those spoilers are correct?

i thought maren was so difficult, I did three layers last night and a top coat, and another layer this morning. so watery and clear, I can see all nail imperfections below it. 

Quote: Originally Posted by kira685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  my secret store order is out for delivery! i got surprise #3, and the pink trio
whenever you get them please post the surprise!

Quote: Originally Posted by LethalLesal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm painting my nails with the Billie Jean right now, and holy moly it's taking forever to try and it's super thick.  I had read some people have trouble with their polishes.  This isn't the best first impression for me!

ETA:  I'm using a base coat and thin layers.  I can understand needing a thinner, but not for a brand new polish that they charge this much for! 
I'm kinda shocked Billie Jean is getting ripped on this thread, It was the first color i ever loved, i used it so much i got one for my mom and then they stopped selling it for about 6 months, so when it came back i panicked and bought two more. I've NEVER done that with any brand or polish before. 

Quote: Originally Posted by trublonderocker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm kinda shocked Billie Jean is getting ripped on this thread, It was the first color i ever loved, i used it so much i got one for my mom and then they stopped selling it for about 6 months, so when it came back i panicked and bought two more. I've NEVER done that with any brand or polish before. 

I hadn't seen anyone other than myself "rip" it, but I'm just having an issue with the formula.  The one I received is too thick.  It was on sale, so that leads me to believe it was old stock.  

i thought maren was so difficult, I did three layers last night and a top coat, and another layer this morning. so watery and clear, I can see all nail imperfections below it. 
Oh no, I haven't tried that one yet.  I did buy Brigitte to put underneath some of the sheer shades from last month hoping it will help make them brighter.  But I also had problems with Brigitte being goopy and taking a long time to dry, and it's really uneven with one coat.  

I was really upset about this too, I got the full polish set and Bailey was the color I'd been looking most forward to. I went to put it on right away, it was the same with marion and caitlin. devastating, I've already used so much of these shades trying to do a single mani. 
Sigh.  Julep is not impressing me lately.  As I said earlier, I think I'm going to cancel this month unless I really love the colors.  I shouldn't have to fight with polish this much to get a good mani, especially with how much they charge ($14 full price, are you kidding me?? at least they have lots of sales).  And - if you finally get it on and looking good it takes forever to dry and I always wind up with a smudge that drives me nuts.  I have tried Bailey, Kayla, Brigitte and Tatum and all of them have issues.

I had really wanted Octavia but I found a Sinful Colors dupe for $2 that looks almost the same from the photos I've seen (My Buoyfriend). I might just start doing that with Julep polishes I like - try to find a cheaper dupe first. With a good base and top coat (Seche) as long as the formula isn't totally awful the cheaper brands last just as long on me since I change my mani every 3-4 days anyway. They have one similar to Harriet that I want to get next.  For $20 a month I could pick up 2-3 OPI polishes that have better formula and twice the amount of polish. or 10 Sinful Colors, or hit up the sales at Ulta or Sally's.

Oh no, I haven't tried that one yet.  I did buy Brigitte to put underneath some of the sheer shades from last month hoping it will help make them brighter.  But I also had problems with Brigitte being goopy and taking a long time to dry, and it's really uneven with one coat.  

Sigh.  Julep is not impressing me lately.  As I said earlier, I think I'm going to cancel this month unless I really love the colors.  I shouldn't have to fight with polish this much to get a good mani, especially with how much they charge ($14 full price, are you kidding me?? at least they have lots of sales).  And - if you finally get it on and looking good it takes forever to dry and I always wind up with a smudge that drives me nuts.  I have tried Bailey, Kayla, Brigitte and Tatum and all of them have issues.

I had really wanted Octavia but I found a Sinful Colors dupe for $2 that looks almost the same from the photos I've seen (My Buoyfriend). I might just start doing that with Julep polishes I like - try to find a cheaper dupe first. With a good base and top coat (Seche) as long as the formula isn't totally awful the cheaper brands last just as long on me since I change my mani every 3-4 days anyway. They have one similar to Harriet that I want to get next.  For $20 a month I could pick up 2-3 OPI polishes that have better formula and twice the amount of polish. or 10 Sinful Colors, or hit up the sales at Ulta or Sally's.

I did the same exact thing this weekend.  I knew that I would need a base for a lot of these sheer April colors since my nails are less than perfect.  Sinful Colors (at Rite Aid) has a white called 101 Snow Me White.  It gives complete coverage in one coat.  It was not a goopy mess and it dries quickly (unlike Bunny which is so thick it is not usable and it never dries).  I put it under my pastels and I am getting great wear this week. 

I did Maren over a coat of Gemma from Julep and it looked fine with one coat.  I added a 2nd coat to intensify the color, but I didn't have too.  Sinful Colors is 3 free and it costs $1.99 for .5 oz. I am also seriously thinking about spending much less $ at Julep and more money at Zoya - they have more exciting finishes in more colors and it is more product.  Not sure I am ready to cancel yet but I am lucky enough to have unlimited skips on Julep since I joined last year. 

<-- not my nails a picture from the web.

Quote: Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I was excited about the email because I have been looking at the caddy and thought it was a pretty good deal to get 4 free polishes with it. Then I saw the choice of polishes and was so disappointed! I wish they would allow you to choose your own instead of having a limited selection of left-over polishes. 
I completely agree.  I was excited and then saw that I couldn't get the polishes I wanted.  I decided not to bother. I wish they would spell it out on the page or in the email rather than having to go to the site fill your cart and try the code to find out. 

I put Bailey on this weekend too and it was honestly the worst polish I have ever used. I had the exact same problems as you and I also took it off immediately because it looked so bad on. I had all the patience in the world when putting it on and it was still a goopy mess.  

OPI is my all time favorite nail polish brand and I also really enjoy Zoya. After using those polishes, the long bottle and brush of Julep is such a pain! I have a large Julep collection and their polishes have a long wear-time for me (when the formulas are right) but I have been skipping more often than not lately and one of the main reasons I still subscribe is to not lose my skip privilege. 

Agreed - I love the color of Bailey but the formula is terrible. Its tied with Bunny as the worst Julep polish I have. My bottle did the same thing - ran into the nail edge, pooled in weird patches on the nail and it looked disgusting over bare nails (a bad ugly gray effect - like they were intensely dirty).  It behaved better over a foundation layer of another polish, but then it had that weird matte finish and it took forever to dry.  I gave up on it and took it all off and did something else instead.

Julep said if you used non-acetone polish remover with greens it was supposed to help with the staining.  I have been trying that and it seemed to work with a light green I wore this week. but I haven't gone dark green since St Patricks which left my nails looking like "I had a disease." according to my son. (he was right they were terribly stained) 

Aww I love Maren. I did like it best with 3 coats but it was so pretty to me and lasted so long on my nails! Sometimes I wonder if different bottles of the same polish are inconsistent? I had a lot of trouble with Elisa last month and it didn't seem like anyone else did

I was excited about the email because I have been looking at the caddy and thought it was a pretty good deal to get 4 free polishes with it. Then I saw the choice of polishes and was so disappointed! I wish they would allow you to choose your own instead of having a limited selection of left-over polishes. 
What colors do we have to choose from?

Quote:Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This section: 

http://www.julep.com/shop/nail-polish/fill-your-basket.html

The colors aren't bad actually...I just thought we could choose our own so I was a little disappointed. 

At first glance, I thought I already had all the colors off of that page that I wanted... But I was able to find 4 that I didn't already have. I also remembered that I bought myself a gift card with the PERK30 code, so I can get the caddy and 4 polishes with the g/c and not spend any more money than I already have! Unfortunately I somehow deleted the gift card email and am currently trying to retrieve it from Yahoo..... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :(

Quote: Originally Posted by Rachel S /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This section: 

The colors aren't bad actually...I just thought we could choose our own so I was a little disappointed. 

At first glance, I thought I already had all the colors off of that page that I wanted... But I was able to find 4 that I didn't already have. I also remembered that I bought myself a gift card with the PERK30 code, so I can get the caddy and 4 polishes with the g/c and not spend any more money than I already have! Unfortunately I somehow deleted the gift card email and am currently trying to retrieve it from Yahoo.....
frown.gif
frown.gif
That worked out quite well! I'm glad to hear it. I couldn't quite justify the purchase. I don't love the caddy and honesty don't know how often I'd use it. To each her own. I'm very happy for everyone this was a great option for. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Sun8shin3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed - I love the color of Bailey but the formula is terrible. Its tied with Bunny as the worst Julep polish I have. My bottle did the same thing - ran into the nail edge, pooled in weird patches on the nail and it looked disgusting over bare nails (a bad ugly gray effect - like they were intensely dirty).  It behaved better over a foundation layer of another polish, but then it had that weird matte finish and it took forever to dry.  I gave up on it and took it all off and did something else instead.

Julep said if you used non-acetone polish remover with greens it was supposed to help with the staining.  I have been trying that and it seemed to work with a light green I wore this week. but I haven't gone dark green since St Patricks which left my nails looking like "I had a disease." according to my son. (he was right they were terribly stained) 

I was using non-acetone remover and it was still a nightmare.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  

On a brighter note!  I got in my Wizard of Oz Collection and it's super cute and the colors are GREAT.  I can't wait to go home and swatch them tonight!

I also do my manis at night.  I use either Orly Rubberized base coat, Seche Vite base, or OPI Nail Envy Original.  I do like to let all layers dry thoroughly before applying the next, if possible, so maybe that's why it takes me so long.  That time also includes cuticle clean up with a q-tip.

For example when I did my Kayla mani on Thursday I used:  2 coats of nail envy (which dried fast), one coat of Julep Brigitte (this one took FOREVER to dry.  Almost a half hour later it was still smudging!), and 2 rather thin coats of Kayla with 15-20 minutes of dry time between coats.  Then I used Seche top coat.  The Seche did help dry the layers, but in the morning I still had a few nails with light smudges.  So all of that took about 1.5 hours and still wasn't dry completely when I went to bed.  I did get a TON of compliments on Kayla this weekend and the color is truly gorgeous (especially with the white underneath - it made the color pop) but still - that was a super long time for a mani.

Last night: 1 coat of OPI Nail Envy, 2 coats OPI I'm Indi-A Mood For Love, and one coat of Seche and that was about 1/2 hour and looks perfect today.

I live in Denver, it's very dry here, so I don't think it's the humidity.  Something about Julep polishes just takes so much longer to dry on me than a lot of my other polishes and I have no idea why.  Maybe it's my body chemistry??
I'm not sure if this is what you meant (if not, just ignore me!) but I have heard that when you apply SV you 're-wet' the already dry polish layers beneath so you want to apply SV immediately after finishing the last coat of polish.  Assuming this is true, waiting in between polish coats is not necessary.  I agree with @Lily V, that I can't imagine a 2 hr mani and my puppy would surely see to it that it did not work out well for me haha.  I usually apply 3 coats of any brand polish and do not wait to dry in between any of the layers then slap on SV.  After that I try to be super careful for 5-10 mins and by then everything is dry to the touch and I carry on.  I do my nails before bed as well and I have never woken up with sheet marks/smudges, etc.  Not sure if any of that is helpful but might be worth a shot :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This section: 

Yeah I agree...

Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm not sure if this is what you meant (if not, just ignore me!) but I have heard that when you apply SV you 're-wet' the already dry polish layers beneath so you want to apply SV immediately after finishing the last coat of polish.  Assuming this is true, waiting in between polish coats is not necessary.  I agree with @Lily V, that I can't imagine a 2 hr mani and my puppy would surely see to it that it did not work out well for me haha.  I usually apply 3 coats of any brand polish and do not wait to dry in between any of the layers then slap on SV.  After that I try to be super careful for 5-10 mins and by then everything is dry to the touch and I carry on.  I do my nails before bed as well and I have never woken up with sheet marks/smudges, etc.  Not sure if any of that is helpful but might be worth a shot :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
You know I'm going to try that next time.  The Seche top coat is new for me, I just got it about a month ago, so I knew that it helps dry the underneath layers but I thought I had to have them mostly dry before applying it.  So my next mani I'm just going to put on all the layers, throw on the SV, and see how it goes!

I think back to before I ever really used top coats and I'd sit there and wait patiently for each layer to dry before putting on the next.  I guess I'm just old school, ha ha!  If this works how you say it will I'm so excited not to have to wait anymore!

This section: 

Wait a sec... that page shows things like Nan, Bess, Joanna and others at full price.

These were very recently available for much, much less in the Savvy Deals section. (I know I saw Bess for $2.99 or something ridonkulous.)

Shady Julep, bumping them back up to "full price" to make unsavvy shoppers think they're getting a great deal.
plthumbsdown.gif

That is really shady for them to pawn off old shades that were on sale for full price.  

I finally got my order today that I placed back on the 7th for Tatum, Kayla, and Ursula.  Does their "free Maven shipping" usually take that long?  I'm not impressed!  I'm definitely cancelling after this month unless I love the May colors as well.  I just made a $50 order with Rainbow Honey, so I'm going to be set on polish for at least a year anyways.  

Back