(Spoilers) Julep April 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Saffyra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I'm glad its not just me!!  Im a little surprised by how grumpy I got over it.  But REALLY!!  DON'T say its a SPRING box and then send awful fall colors!!  It's false advertising, imo!  I bought something that was NOT what was advertised.  No one on earth is going to say those are spring colors.  /sigh

I feel like calling my credit card company and reversing the charge.  Ugh.  Yes, I know, I know.  It's a *mystery* box.  But this wasn't just a mystery box, it was a *Spring* mystery box.  I have to stop thinking about it and just remember to never, ever buy anything from them again.  

Hmm... I *do* live in Seattle.  I could drive over there and tell them to trade my polishes now or else :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I'm quite literally never purchasing again.  I prepaid for that silly brush (to help them fund it) for May, then I am done.  It's ridiculous the colors that I have received for the last THREE mystery boxes. I can't believe I have been silly enough to be duped that many times. I only just started with them.  And now I am done.

Quote: Originally Posted by Saffyra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I'm glad its not just me!!  Im a little surprised by how grumpy I got over it.  But REALLY!!  DON'T say its a SPRING box and then send awful fall colors!!  It's false advertising, imo!  I bought something that was NOT what was advertised.  No one on earth is going to say those are spring colors.  /sigh

I feel like calling my credit card company and reversing the charge.  Ugh.  Yes, I know, I know.  It's a *mystery* box.  But this wasn't just a mystery box, it was a *Spring* mystery box.  I have to stop thinking about it and just remember to never, ever buy anything from them again.  

Hmm... I *do* live in Seattle.  I could drive over there and tell them to trade my polishes now or else :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
well one is the color of mustard… so there is the effect of eating hotdogs at baseball games. so maybe that was their stretch. along side with the glittery pumpkin gold.  lol

The mystery boxes back in August-October were much better. Something changed at that time right? I know they stopped doing the random ones and now they're all the same, but even in the 'small' random boxes, there was still better variety than these. And far less repeats. The last three months have all had at least one or two of the same colors, which leads to far more dupes. Well, if the last secret store is any indicator, I'm just going to wait till they release the exclusive mystery box polishes on their own as they did February's.

So for $4 more dollars you get another polish and minus a filer. Wow this is just getting better and better. I am sooo glad I have been able to restrain from ordering the mystery boxes. And forget me not seeds? Why would I want to pay for them! I really hope things start getting better. At this point I have so many juleps I want to say I am a collector and almost feel like I've got so much invested in this collection that I don't want to walk away but idk man I just don't know.

Well, I'm glad its not just me!!  Im a little surprised by how grumpy I got over it.  But REALLY!!  DON'T say its a SPRING box and then send awful fall colors!!  It's false advertising, imo!  I bought something that was NOT what was advertised.  No one on earth is going to say those are spring colors.  /sigh I feel like calling my credit card company and reversing the charge.  Ugh.  Yes, I know, I know.  It's a *mystery* box.  But this wasn't just a mystery box, it was a *Spring* mystery box.  I have to stop thinking about it and just remember to never, ever buy anything from them again.   Hmm... I *do* live in Seattle.  I could drive over there and tell them to trade my polishes now or else :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
While I agree that their marketing tactics suck (especially when it comes to anything seasonal) & I feel so bad for you & all the others that got ripped off by the last several mystery boxes, I don't think it would be wise to fight back. The point of the mystery box is that you are gambling for cool products & if there are certain products you don't like, it's not the company's fault because they did kinda warn you. So I would just write it as a loss, give all your dupes away, & learn from this shitty experience. & always remember from this point forward that if you're tempted to purchase another mystery box, wait for spoilers first! (1 more thing: boycotting the mystery boxes until they get better will hit the company much harder than going over to HQ to complain. If you wanna get a message across, money talks. & if there's no cashflow for mystery boxes then they'll know they screwed up!)
So for $4 more dollars you get another polish and minus a filer. Wow this is just getting better and better. I am sooo glad I have been able to restrain from ordering the mystery boxes. And forget me not seeds? Why would I want to pay for them! I really hope things start getting better. At this point I have so many juleps I want to say I am a collector and almost feel like I've got so much invested in this collection that I don't want to walk away but idk man I just don't know.
The only mystery anything I ever ordered was Secret Surprise #1 from the Secret Store this month. While I admit I'm satisfied with what I received, that is the only taste of any Julep mystery crap that I will allow myself to have for the forseeable future. Watching the quality of mystery boxes slip from month to month is pretty sickening, considering the cult following Julep seemed to work so hard for back in 2011-2012. & I know I just said this in an earlier post but...samples? REALLY? In a mystery box claiming to have $100+ retail value?

Quote: Originally Posted by itsoliviaaah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only mystery anything I ever ordered was Secret Surprise #1 from the Secret Store this month. While I admit I'm satisfied with what I received, that is the only taste of any Julep mystery crap that I will allow myself to have for the forseeable future. Watching the quality of mystery boxes slip from month to month is pretty sickening, considering the cult following Julep seemed to work so hard for back in 2011-2012. & I know I just said this in an earlier post but...samples? REALLY? In a mystery box claiming to have $100+ retail value?

Seriously. The mystery boxes when I first started out as a maven were uh-mazing. I don't know if I am on Julep overload (over 100 bottles) or what but all of the mystery boxes for the last few months have been seriously disappointing, and they didn't even necessarily contain dupes. I am very glad I have not bought any and have waited for spoilers. 

Seriously. The mystery boxes when I first started out as a maven were uh-mazing. I don't know if I am on Julep overload (over 100 bottles) or what but all of the mystery boxes for the last few months have been seriously disappointing, and they didn't even necessarily contain dupes. I am very glad I have not bought any and have waited for spoilers. 
I agree, the mystery box when I first got started in May of last year was amazing. Even the secret stores was better.

Quote: Originally Posted by yunii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree, the mystery box when I first got started in May of last year was amazing. Even the secret stores was better.
The last good mystery box was definitely the the Galaxy one. They gave you all the colors to create a specific look and each variation made sense to the overall theme of the "Galaxy" nail look. I hope they eventually go back to that idea and be more thoughtful in putting together future mystery boxes but I highly doubt that will happen. 

I think part of the problem with the mystery boxes is that they are releasing too many of them. They used to only do seasonal/holiday boxes and they have now shifted to one every month. Maybe they should go back and only offer them a few times a year so they can offer new polishes and fun mysteries without having to unload all their extra polish and products. The amount of polish Julep releases is crazy --with a new collection every month, birthstone polishes, extra mystery colors, "exclusive" colors to them and various stores, and the other promotions they often do. I think it's time for Julep to scale back, offer fun/exciting/new colors to their monthly mavens, and then focus on all the extra promotions, although from a business perspective (and especially now with their investors) I don't know if that is possible.

Quote: Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I think part of the problem with the mystery boxes is that they are releasing too many of them. They used to only do seasonal/holiday boxes and they have now shifted to one every month. Maybe they should go back and only offer them a few times a year so they can offer new polishes and fun mysteries without having to unload all their extra polish and products. The amount of polish Julep releases is crazy --with a new collection every month, birthstone polishes, extra mystery colors, "exclusive" colors to them and various stores, and the other promotions they often do. I think it's time for Julep to scale back, offer fun/exciting/new colors to their monthly mavens, and then focus on all the extra promotions, although from a business perspective (and especially now with their investors) I don't know if that is possible.

I think, from a business perspective that they make more money off of the smaller, identical mystery boxes than what they were doing with the mystery boxes a year or ago. Sadly, that means that it looks like the mystery boxes are a dumping ground for overstock because "it's a mystery, what you get is what you get", which is a smart way to offload extra stock from a business standpoint, but not from a consumer standpoint because they're the ones who are receiving the extra stock, which may be duplicates for them.

Quote: Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think, from a business perspective that they make more money off of the smaller, identical mystery boxes than what they were doing with the mystery boxes a year or ago. Sadly, that means that it looks like the mystery boxes are a dumping ground for overstock because "it's a mystery, what you get is what you get", which is a smart way to offload extra stock from a business standpoint, but not from a consumer standpoint because they're the ones who are receiving the extra stock, which may be duplicates for them.

If they were smarter, they would mix some good stuff in with the junk.  If people felt like half the box was good and half they could do without, they'd probably be more inclined to purchase future boxes...  I got one of the St Pat's boxes and truly, could do without nearly ALL of it...  Had I gotten one of these Spring boxes, I would have felt mostly the same...  

It would be easier to swallow orange crackle polish if it was offset by something you loved/what you expected - you know?

Quote: Originally Posted by keewee10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If they were smarter, they would mix some good stuff in with the junk.  If people felt like half the box was good and half they could do without, they'd probably be more inclined to purchase future boxes...  I got one of the St Pat's boxes and truly, could do without nearly ALL of it...  Had I gotten one of these Spring boxes, I would have felt mostly the same...  

It would be easier to swallow orange crackle polish if it was offset by something you loved/what you expected - you know?

They used to do that with the older mystery boxes, you might get a meh color, but there were some good ones that made up for the bad one. Now.... it feels like the mystery boxes are a way to churn through overstock on the (I'm guessing here) colors that didn't sell well.

The mystery boxes as of late have sucked hard. I was *thinking* about getting the Emerson box, but for my hard earned $25, I got THIS from Sephora instead which was $25, plus I got my VIB 15% discount. Much better:

Quote: Originally Posted by LaStupenda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The mystery boxes as of late have sucked hard. I was *thinking* about getting the Emerson box, but for my hard earned $25, I got THIS from Sephora instead which was $25, plus I got my VIB 15% discount. Much better:

That's such a cute little set - great score!  It has two of my favorite things in it, nail polish and lipgloss!

Quote: Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely agree with you!  They just keep releasing mystery boxes and it seems like so much.  I had gotten the December mystery box and I was pretty happy with it, but I also used a 30% off code that made it cheaper than the 25 bucks and so I felt like it was a better deal at the lower price point.  I haven't ordered a mystery box since then because I wait for the spoilers and then think to myself, why wouldn't I just put that 25 towards products I can pick and actually want.

Quote: Originally Posted by keewee10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Completely this... I would have been so sad to order a SPRING mystery box and get fall and winter colors.  It doesn't even make sense to me why they would do that.  And you'd think they could throw in like 1 newer color per box that actually matches the season.  I know they want to make full price on those, but we all know in 6 months the new polishes will be add-ons or in the sale section anyway.  It would make people a lot happier to get a surprise polish from the current or last month's maven boxes than some color from December that you might have to wait 6 months to actually wear.

I just remember ordering a $40 mystery box and getting at least 8 polishes, 3 products, and then whatever extra they included. Those were great.... I guess price wise compared to quantity of products it's about the same but the large quantity allowed for only some product to be overstock offload rather than the whole box.

My last favorite mystery box was in November. The polishes were fall appropriate and went with the theme. December was okay, then they skipped January and from then on its been a disappointment. I used to look forward more to the mystery boxes than the Maven window. Those days are gone I guess.

I guess it's for the best. I've spent less on Julep recently than I have in a while. Just the monthly collections & birthstone polish each month.

My last favorite mystery box was in November. The polishes were fall appropriate and went with the theme. December was okay, then they skipped January and from then on its been a disappointment. I used to look forward more to the mystery boxes than the Maven window. Those days are gone I guess.
I think if they did a mystery box at least every 2 months, the quality would probably increase a ton.

Money speaks ladies. I figure my complaining isn't going to do anything, and I'm not throwing any more money at some of the garbage julep tries. I've given up on mystery boxes. It was hard at first, but I don't miss them anymore. If we really want to see any change, we have to show them we aren't going to pay for this. It's tough, but julep is a business, and the first priority of a business is money. Always. This is how they're going to get the message.

Latest posts

Back