SquareHue January 2015 spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree that this is a nicely cohesive collection!  It seems like they would be perfectly at home in February, too.  I probably won't wear the pink since I don't wear pink polish, but it's a great color to represent Gibson Girls.  I'm really looking forward to using Victorian End Sunday night after I'm done thrashing my hands up this weekend!

I'm excited about this box and the Decades Collection. I love that they named colors after events during the decade, I wasn't sure what direction they were going in. I was also really worried about getting a white this month, so I am glad one wasn't sent out. I will wear all the colors they sent. 

I also like that there are swatch blanks on the new info card, I always have to immediately swatch on whatever paper I have handy, so it will be fun to get to swatch on the card! 

As promised, I took a couple pictures.

Here are the bottles. From left to right: Gibson Girl 1900, First Flight 1903, and Victorian End 1909.

P1020606.JPG

And here is a swatch on a nail wheel, since I'm not allowed to paint my nails for my job.

P1020614.JPG

All swatches are two coats.

SquareHue calls all of these High Gloss Cremes. Gibson Girl 1900 is a peachy pink creme. I think it's very wearable, and I don't like pink nail polishes in the slightest. First Flight 1903 is what I would call a medium gray, with very small silver shimmer throughout. The shimmer isn't noticeable unless you're looking very closely; from far away it gives the polish a nice sheen. Victorian End 1909 is a deep red violet color, with noticeable micro shimmer. It looks silver and magenta to me; I can't really tell what color it is since the sparkles are so small!

Wow, nice job SqH!

I didn't get January's box and as pretty as the shades are, I'm not upset. Pinks & purples are not really my favorite shades. (Says the woman who searched for a pink that matches a Tab can last summer...) However, this new theme intrigues me enough that I might take my subscription off of hold for February.

Really pretty! Thanks for the pics! That said, not sad I skipped - I need another glittery purple like I need a hole in the head :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But if they keep this up (nice, cohesive shades without oranges!!), I'm in for March.  I still want previews, though. . .

Thanks to those who posted swatches!  I think the colors are gorgeous and right up my alley.  I'm going to go grovelling to SquareHue and ask if I can buy the box since I had my sub suspended.  The worst they can do is say no.

Still, if February has an orange in it, I'm not getting that month.  Well, I might; I really need more previews/hints too.

Last edited by a moderator:
:wub:  I at least I know I'm going to be happy with one of my subs this month.  

I'm not one for being artsy with nail polish (or anything), but I'm going to have to attempt something with that pink and grey. As for the purple, I have so many purples. But it's my favorite color so I'm never upset getting another one. Especially a darker one. 

I should be getting mine today. They got to my PO really early this morning and my mail usually leaves the PO mid to late morning. 

Ok, I love this collection. I really like how they went with major themes in the decade and channeled the colours they thought would represent it. It's beautiful and I think they really captured the 1900's with it. This is really getting me excited for SH this year - I think it will be fun to wear a decade each month and I actually really want to google the terms to learn more about what happened. Fun and interaction with polishes! 

This was my first Square Hue Box! I am impressed with the colors and theme and was very excited to try them. The polish dried fast and looked terrific, but it started chipping the same day, even with top/base coat. D: I never have a problem with polish chipping before 2-3 days.

Is this the norm for SH polishes? If for some reason I can't use these polishes, I'm gonna be major bummed because they are SO PRETTY!

I hope it was just a fluke! Going to try again with a different color!

This was my first Square Hue Box! I am impressed with the colors and theme and was very excited to try them. The polish dried fast and looked terrific, but it started chipping the same day, even with top/base coat. D: I never have a problem with polish chipping before 2-3 days.

Is this the norm for SH polishes? If for some reason I can't use these polishes, I'm gonna be major bummed because they are SO PRETTY!

I hope it was just a fluke! Going to try again with a different color!
I don't normally have any problems with their wear!  An application on Sunday usually lasts the whole week or until I get bored with the color, whichever comes first (I usually get bored first), unless my nails decide to start peeling, which isn't the polish's fault.  I'm having a short nails week, so I'm giving Victorian End a shot just as soon as I find my top coat.  The weather here -- 40s and rainy, typical January weather -- make First Flight more appropriate, but I like to go with dark colors when my nails are this length.

(I do have a trivia nerd bone to pick with them:  The Victorian era ended when Queen Victoria died, so that would have been 1901, not 1909.)

(I do have a trivia nerd bone to pick with them:  The Victorian era ended when Queen Victoria died, so that would have been 1901, not 1909.)
LOL, I thought the same thing.  I guess "Edwardian End" didn't sound as good.

OK, I asked SqH if I could buy the box and they said yes, yay!  I am going to reactivate my subscription and see what the next few months bring.  Who else thinks the 1920s are going to be awesome?  I can't think what they'll have for the 1910s.... anything about The Great War would be a downer.

Back