Squarehue: June 2014 SPOILERS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly do they mean by "satin finish"?  They don't seem to have done one of those before, so I'm not sure what to expect!  (I really hope that brown photographs poorly.  It reminds me of something really, *really* icky.)

Those blues are not very blue. I was thinking they would have been more blue if you know what I mean.

What exactly do they mean by "satin finish"?  They don't seem to have done one of those before, so I'm not sure what to expect!  (I really hope that brown photographs poorly.  It reminds me of something really, *really* icky.)
I'm thinking the satin will be a matte finish. I mislabeled my photo. The micro glitter is the light blue and the satin is the teal on the left, but y'all probably figured that out. And the tan/brown is kinda flesh colored.

There's a few pics on Instagram that make the blues look a little more ... blue, I think. The tan one is NOT my style. Very disappointed in that color, I guess I will see about swapping that out for something else. I really love the satin finish color, though. 

http://instagram.com/p/oq5EkBHn1Q/

Here are swatches. Credit to scaldedmilk on Instagram.

I'm excited to see what they sent this month, but honestly I'm not sorry at all that I skipped. I like the blues but they almost look like the same color with a different finish and that tan/brown is just not my color and I won't be missing it from my collection. 

I am excited that they are introducing new finishes by sending out the satin, which in my experience with other companies has been a shimmery matte finish, and I'm excited to see where they're going in July. Hopefully some fun colors will be previewed and I can take my subscription off pause. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say I'm shocked at how similar the trio is, at first glance, to all three November colors.  I literally thought the picture posted in this thread was a mistake and that she accidentally posted a pic of the November box.  Now, I loved that set but I don't need dupes and boy am I glad I skipped June!

Edit:  I see they've posted the July teaser:  Barcelona.  They say "Caliente" and "Olé" so I'm expecting hot colors.  Also, the preview pic shows a bright pink-red, an orange or orange-red (no, no more oranges and yellows, pleeeeease!!), and a blackened purple.  The orange makes me think I probably won't un-pause for July.  Sigh.

Oh man - they could've done SO much better with that tan - we all had great ideas on here for it I think! But I do like the two blues, will definitely get wear out of those. And the finishes on the blues are pretty nice as well. 

Have to say I'm shocked at how similar the trio is, at first glance, to all three November colors.  I literally thought the picture posted in this thread was a mistake and that she accidentally posted a pic of the November box.  Now, I loved that set but I don't need dupes and boy am I glad I skipped June!

Edit:  I see they've posted the July teaser:  Barcelona.  They say "Caliente" and "Olé" so I'm expecting hot colors.  Also, the preview pic shows a bright pink-red, an orange or orange-red (no, no more oranges and yellows, pleeeeease!!), and a blackened purple.  The orange makes me think I probably won't un-pause for July.  Sigh.
Ooh...I love the preview for July! I have actually been hoping for an Orange (not yellow but a true orange) since Amsterdam so I'm excited about the possibility. At first glance the preview looks similar to Amsterdam's (without the green) so I hope the colors are different. I will probably un-pause my account for July!

OK, looking at the Instagram photo of swatches on a nail wheel, I take it back -- they're aren't dupes of November.  But the blues still look close to past SqH colors.  Pretty, if you didn't get any of those already.

It's apparently my secret quest to own ALL the blue nail polishes ever, so I'm not too sad about how similar these are, but I would have much preferred something that would make them stand out -- texture or glitter or holo. Sun on water = holo, come on, SH!

I want to lay down an ultimatum for myself, since I really have a ton of polishes and while SH is dependable, they aren't innovating as much as I'd like with colors or finishes. But I know if I suspend, they'll release something I wish I'd gotten, and I have this psychological need to have packages come to my house every month, haha.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thank you for crediting me.

Also, the tan is horrible. The blues are ok but the formula on the satin wasn't the best. It was def NOT matte but also not glossy.

There's a few pics on Instagram that make the blues look a little more ... blue, I think. The tan one is NOT my style. Very disappointed in that color, I guess I will see about swapping that out for something else. I really love the satin finish color, though.

http://instagram.com/p/oq5EkBHn1Q/

Here are swatches. Credit to scaldedmilk on Instagram.

Thank you for crediting me.

Also, the tan is horrible. The blues are ok but the formula on the satin wasn't the best. It was def NOT matte but also not glossy.
But of course I would credit you! I didn't know you were here on MUT, lol. 

I don't know what they were thinking with that tan. I thought it would be more of a sandy color, that dark brown just looks like the insides of a soiled baby diaper. 

That's too bad about the satin finish, I was looking forward to that. I was hoping for something similar to the latex finish Julep put out last year for a black polish. In fact, I wish more brands would put out a latex finish, it is so fun to touch, haha. And in more colors than just the obvious black. Like blue or red. Oh man, I would pay good money to get a fire engine red latex finish. Does this exist? I'm still somewhat new to the polish game, so I haven't seen all there is to offer yet.

I don't know what they were thinking with that tan. I thought it would be more of a sandy color, that dark brown just looks like the insides of a soiled baby diaper. 

That's too bad about the satin finish, I was looking forward to that. I was hoping for something similar to the latex finish Julep put out last year for a black polish. In fact, I wish more brands would put out a latex finish, it is so fun to touch, haha. And in more colors than just the obvious black. Like blue or red. Oh man, I would pay good money to get a fire engine red latex finish. Does this exist? I'm still somewhat new to the polish game, so I haven't seen all there is to offer yet.
Putting under a spoiler for the squeamish:

When we were looking at paint colors for our den, we wanted a warm, butterscotch pudding, dark gold color. It took us months to find one that wasnt't either too orange or what is apparently known in the trade as "baby poop." Seems to be an issue getting the right neutral base for the brownish gold that doesn't have too much of a green undertone. Don't know if it's the same problem for nail polish as it is for paint, but ...

The brown color kind of reminds me of Zoya "Flynn," although that's just a regular cream.

Maybe they were trying to avoid the obvious -- a sandy colored, "sand finish" tan or greige -- but that color doesn't scream Maui to me. Darker coconut brown would have been better!

The brown color kind of reminds me of Zoya "Flynn," although that's just a regular cream.

Maybe they were trying to avoid the obvious -- a sandy colored, "sand finish" tan or greige -- but that color doesn't scream Maui to me. Darker coconut brown would have been better!
I think Flynn is much more of a camel brown -- beige with a greyish tone.  I really like it, and it's one of the few nudes I do like.

flynn.jpg

Brown polishes are tough -- you want to avoid any "dirt" or "poop" look, for sure!

Cult Nails (not to be confused with CULT Cosmetics) has a wax finish on several of their polishes that may give them the "latex" finish you're looking for. They have several colors in this finish, including "Kiss" which is red, and they have a wax top-coat that is supposed to give all polishes this finish. I don't personally have any of the wax finish polishes and they are a little expensive (at $12) but the polishes I do have from Cult have been great! 

So *cough* this was my first month ever with SquareHue.

Did anyone else have a discrepancy with labeling?

Heres what I've got:

Ala Moana- blue microglitter

Ka' ahumanu- Satin

Wailea- Hi Gloss

Now the info card says that ka'ahumanu is the micro glitter, yet it most definitely is NOT.

I'm mainly curious.  It doesnt really matter what the name of it is, I just wondered...

So *cough* this was my first month ever with SquareHue.

Did anyone else have a discrepancy with labeling?

Heres what I've got:

Ala Moana- blue microglitter

Ka' ahumanu- Satin

Wailea- Hi Gloss

Now the info card says that ka'ahumanu is the micro glitter, yet it most definitely is NOT.

I'm mainly curious. It doesnt really matter what the name of it is, I just wondered...
I didn't get a box last month, but they have been known to screw up the labeling before - I think there was a mix up in January with the West End polish.

I just got my box - yep they mixed up Ala Moana and Ka'ahumanu on the card. Ka'ahumanu is my favorite- a gorgeous blue/green and I really like the satin finish. Ala Moana is next, nice enough blue shimmer. Wailea is ok - peachy brown I think...I asked my husband and he said it looked like caramel (better than baby poop!) But it's definitely an odd duck of a shade. 

JuneSH.jpg

Here's a quick swatch (in direct sunlight): L to R: Ka'ahumanu, Wailea, Ala Moana. 

Back