Stila Cosmetics: Summer 2013 Collection - Festival of Color

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swatched Lightshow, and using my finger definitely gave the best color payoff.  I do see that on the stila page for these pigments it says "Use fingers or a foam tip applicator for intense payoff. It is not recommended to use this product wet."  Using a brush sheered them out significantly and kicked up a lot of powder, which I find problematic.  My pan is predominantly blues with just a smidgen of the green and yellow, which makes it hard to apply using my finger. 

They do blend together very well.  They also wipe off very easily.  I did have significant fading by the end of the day when I wore Lyric over primer.  Hmm.  I do like the color combos you can make.  All of the swatches are on bare arm.

What happens when using a brush.  I had applied with my finger first and then decided to try a brush, and it wiped the shadow off my arm.

You can see the powder kick up from the brush.

I'll be interested to see if different color combos behave the same and people's experience with them.  Off to play with Lyric now, which I picked up thinking I could use as a blush as well.

Lyric works well as a blush, although the shimmer factor is a bit more than I prefer, as it tends to emphasize my pores and uneven skin.  Pretty color blended out (last photo) and applied well with a stippling brush.  It also wears better than I was expecting.

Okay, just left Sephora. The Stila rep who happened to be there thinks that Groupie, Center Stage, Melody, and Party Pink are going to be Ulta-only and launching in two weeks. I snagged a turquoise smudge stick, which was the one item I specifically wanted to get today, so yay! But I have to wait until I can swatch those Ulta shades before I decide on the rest of what I will be getting.

i went to ulta today hoping just maybe i could see some of them...no luck...i was also looking for the zoya pixie dust polishes no luck there either...no sephora anywhere near me bummer.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've got the turquoise smudgestick, wore it for the first time today.  I really like the that the color is matte and it's nicely pigmented and smooth.  Sometimes it looks jade green to me, sometimes turquoise.  Perhaps it depends on the lighting.

That color looks so pretty on you.

I played with the colors at the Bellevue Sephora last Thursday and I love and hate the colors. The colors are beautiful but the problem I saw was that the colors can become "muddy" if over applied mainly with Acoustic, Melody and Groupie. Because no two pans are the same the downside is you have to go through and look at each one of out of the box to get a pan you like because it's so random so if you order online you get what you get and sometimes the colors aren't as distributed (you'll get more of one color than another so it's not balanced).

Between the liquid and the kohl liners I preferred the liquid because it was more intense than the kohl. The kohl would be perfect for the waterline and lower lashes while the liquid for the upper.

I'm mad at myself for NOT buying the lip glosses which to be honest I completely forgot about. :|

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I played with the colors at the Bellevue Sephora last Thursday and I love and hate the colors. The colors are beautiful but the problem I saw was that the colors can become "muddy" if over applied mainly with Acoustic, Melody and Groupie. Because no two pans are the same the downside is you have to go through and look at each one of out of the box to get a pan you like because it's so random so if you order online you get what you get and sometimes the colors aren't as distributed (you'll get more of one color than another so it's not balanced).

Between the liquid and the kohl liners I preferred the liquid because it was more intense than the kohl. The kohl would be perfect for the waterline and lower lashes while the liquid for the upper.

I'm mad at myself for NOT buying the lip glosses which to be honest I completely forgot about. :|
That's what I thought, I think the idea is pretty, but not super functional. I don't like shadows that have all the color thrown together like that :S

I stopped into Sephora today because I couldn't decide which Turquoise liner I wanted - after swatching the liquid version and the Smudge Stick version, I decided to go with the SS since the color seems more vibrant. Love it! Liquid liner on left, Smudge Stick on right.

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stopped into Sephora today because I couldn't decide which Turquoise liner I wanted - after searching the liquid version and the Smudge Stick version, I decided to go with the SS since the color seems more vibrant. Love it!

Liquid liner on left, Smudge Stick on right.

Dang, I wish I had seen this before I placed my Stila glitch discount order. I got the liquid, but I think I would have much rather preferred the smudge stick. The difference in the tones is wayyyy more than I expected.

I also ordered a black liquid eyeliner and 2 of the color pigments in Center Stage and Light Show

Dang, I wish I had seen this before I placed my Stila glitch discount order. I got the liquid, but I think I would have much rather preferred the smudge stick. The difference in the tones is wayyyy more than I expected. I also ordered a black liquid eyeliner and 2 of the color pigments in Center Stage and Light Show
Well, the Sephora tester of the liquid liner did seem like it was getting dried out - maybe a new 'juicy' one will be more pigmented? You'll have to post a pic!

Well, the Sephora tester of the liquid liner did seem like it was getting dried out - maybe a new 'juicy' one will be more pigmented? You'll have to post a pic!
Well I guess we'll have to see what I end up with! I don't think I'll be too disappointed because both the smudge stick and liquid eyeliner shades look lovely. I just can't wait to play with all of it and post pictures!

I dunno... I swatched both on my last trip and feel the liquid needed a few swipes for good color. It is buildable, though and the color was vibrant after several swipes and completely dry. I do love that smudge stick.. that'd be cute with the pink shadows Ipsy sent out. *sighs.... adding to my Sephora cart/list again!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dunno... I swatched both on my last trip and feel the liquid needed a few swipes for good color. It is buildable, though and the color was vibrant after several swipes and completely dry. I do love that smudge stick.. that'd be cute with the pink shadows Ipsy sent out.

*sighs.... adding to my Sephora cart/list again!
I found the same with the liquid version (having to swipe multiple times for good color). The Smudge Stick was super-vibrant after just one swipe - excited to have picked it up today. It was the last one left in that color! 
biggrin.gif

Sco

I found the same with the liquid version (having to swipe multiple times for good color). The Smudge Stick was super-vibrant after just one swipe - excited to have picked it up today. It was the last one left in that color! 
biggrin.gif
Score!! I shouldn't buy anything else, but payday is the last day of the sale and I'll probably cave!

I stopped into Sephora today because I couldn't decide which Turquoise liner I wanted - after swatching the liquid version and the Smudge Stick version, I decided to go with the SS since the color seems more vibrant. Love it!

Liquid liner on left, Smudge Stick on right.

WANT!

I highly recommend it! The color is so gorgeous and wears so well - I left the swatches on until just a few minutes ago and they were still intact even after rubbing, rolling shirt sleeves up and down, and even a little water contact. Definitely perfect for Spring and Summer!

I highly recommend it! The color is so gorgeous and wears so well - I left the swatches on until just a few minutes ago and they were still intact even after rubbing, rolling shirt sleeves up and down, and even a little water contact. Definitely perfect for Spring and Summer!
Sold...I planned on heading to Ulta tomorrow to use my level rewards...guess I'm just gonna HAVE to peruse on down the Stila section...darn ::wink wink::

I also ordered the liquid instead of the Smudge Stick, bummer. I have like 8 or 9 Smudge Sticks and none of their liquids so wanted to try something new. From now on I'm sticking with the tried and true products.

Originally Posted by SnowLeopard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also ordered the liquid instead of the Smudge Stick, bummer. I have like 8 or 9 Smudge Sticks and none of their liquids so wanted to try something new. From now on I'm sticking with the tried and true products.
For me I was worried the smudge stick wouldn't be good for me because of southern humidity, that's why I've usually stuck with liquid eyeliners. But I after I placed my order I was reading that the smudge stick stays pretty well without smudging or racoon-ing so I may try them out next time.

Back