Suggest a good book to read

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For non-fiction I really recommend Angelina Jolie's "Notes from My Travels"

I'd like to explain why this did so much to me, but I'd rather have people read it for themselves... and of course get the book, as it's money goes to the right cause.

Here is her introduction;

I was asked to write an introduction to my journals, to explain how my journals came to be, why my life took this direction, and why I decided to start it.

As I try to find the answers, I am sure of one thing: I am forever changed. I am so grateful I took this path in my life, thankful that I met these amazing people and had this incredible experience.

I honestly believe that if we were all aware, we would all be compelled to act.

So the question is not how or why I would do this with my life. The question is, how could I not?

Many nights I sat awake reading stories and statistics about national and international tragedies.

I read about UNHCR:

More than twenty million refugees exist today.

One-sixth of the world's population lives on less than one dollar a day.

1.1 billion people lack access to safe drinking water.

One-third of the world has no electricity.

More than 100 million children are out of school.

One in six children in Africa dies before the age of five.

I read about different organizations that do humanitarian work. I had been reading about Sierra Leone when I was in England. When I got back to the States it was difficult to follow the stories, so I called USA for UNHCR and asked if they could help me understand the situation there and similar situations elsewhere in the world. Three weeks later I was in Sierra Leone.

I don't know how this will be as a book, how readers will find it. I am not a writer. These are just my journals. They are just a glimpse into a world that I am just beginning to understand, a world I could never really explain in words.

"I Know This Much is True"by Wally Lam. Story of a man who had to spend his whole life taking care of his severely mentally ill brother. Excellent!

"My Name is Charlotte Sims"by Tom Wolfe. Story of a sheltered 17 year old from a tiny Southern rural village struggling to "find herself" and fit in among a bunch of upper class urban "scholars", at an Ivy League school, many of whom mock her social background and her aspirations. A page turner and a fun,often insightful read.

If you like dogs, I would highly recommend Marley and Me, The DaVinci Code is superbly good, and for a light fun read, I would recommend Bergdorf Blondes

If you want something that is non fictional then you should read the "A Child Called It" series.

Looks like you beat me to the punch, Leony. LOL

My favourite book is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Its such a great read!! I was going to include a link to its Amazon page but it practically tells the whole story.

Loved 'PS I Love You' if you feel like some chick-lit. Its being made into a film and set in New York which will be really weird considering the book is set in Ireland.

i could recommend a lot science fiction and fantasy books, which is all i read actually, but definitely read The Alchemist from Coelho, it'a bit fantastic by the way it's written, but it's a very nice story. i didn't read the Da Vinci Code, but some people told me it was great and some others told it was just good.

I mostly read fiction. Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell is very good.You may like it. As for myself, I got so many reading ideas... it's wonderful!

Originally Posted by blueangel1023 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hmmm, The Kite Runner was pretty good. In terms of reality books, I just started reading The Year of Yes. Ditto on Kite Runner! I loved that book.

* We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver (winner of the orange fiction award)

* Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden (
heart.gif
this book & movie!)

* Mao's Last Dancer - Li Cunxin

* Power of One - Bryce Courtney

* Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult (and her books in general!)

I'm more into true crime and sappy, predictable teen books sadly. If you're into the true crime books, I'd definently suggest Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosli, probably butchered his name lol. It was a fantastic book in my opinion.

I suggest The Five People You Meet in Heaven, By: Mitch Albom.

You won't be able to put it down!!

If you like memoires, like me you might like

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (his sequal 'Tis is good too)

Geisha, A Life by Mineko Iwasaki

Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog (must read if your a dog lover like me!!)

and this isn't a memoir but

Queen of Fashion: What Mary Antoinette Wore to the Revolution. I just love Mary Antoinette's history it's so intriguing to me.

hope you'll
biggrin.gif
enjoy!
smile.gif

The Jenuary Must Read List:

all books by Paulo Coelho, his newest 11 Minutes, excellent...

all books Carl Hiaasen, start with Sick Puppy

Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

all the Shopoholic books by Sophie Kinsella

The Hottest State by Ethan Hawke (yes, that Ethan)

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

all the Tales of the City books by Armistead Maupin

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Back