The clothes you love (but look horrible on you)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wear strapless dresses or tops because they make my shoulders look huge.

I also love dresses and tops with high necks and no sleeves (especially with cutaway scoops up by the shoulders), but can't wear them -- I hate my arms.

Halter tops have been a no for awhile, mostly due to the shoulders issue, but also due to the fact that I have trouble finding a good halter convertible bra in my size (40B). I know I am wearing one in my avatar picture, but that was for Halloween, and I jury-rigged a terrible strapless bra with double sided tape. Don't want to do that on a regular basis.

Tanks and spaghetti strap tops are generally out too, unless I wear a shrug over them; fortunately that can be a good look. But the basic idea is that I have trouble with anything that has exposed shoulders. Not only because they are large, but because one of my collar-bones is messed up: I separated it as a teenager, so it pops out more than the other. All the surgeons I spoke with said it wasn't severe enough to operate on, so I'd just have to deal with the discomfort and slight deformity. It's on my right side and you can see it in my avatar photo. It's not too terrible, but it does elicit a "meh" whenever I see it.

I have pretty good legs, though, so I don't worry much about what will or won't flatter them. My only problem lately is that I bruise my shins up all the time bumping into things; I'm a total klutz. So I wear a lot of dark hose/tights or use body cover (Dermablend).

The number one thing that I really love, but that doesn't look good on me is pencil skirts. What a cruel cruel world! Pencil skirts are so cute, but they just make me look wide.
frown.gif

ok ok I know this is not clothes, but oversize sunglasses look horrible on me. and I think they are so adorable. Life sucks =(

Tops with a sweetheart neckline tend to look ridiculous on me, but I'd love to be able to look good in them! I have a very flat chest (32-34A, depending), and sweetheart necklines tend to look best on women with something there. For that same reason, I can't wear anything strapless unless I want to be exposed.

I also wish I could wear high heels with jeans/pants, but my body is very disproportionate in the sense that I literally look as if I'm made of legs and nothing else if I wear heels with pants.

I also can't wear many gold items. I don't really like silver, but it's the metal I wear because I have pink undertones & gold doesn't really look as good on me.

I love bright fun colors that suit people with cool coloring (which I don't have), and also the cute stuff that's somewhat revealing. Either I think I'm not in good enough shape, or even when I am, I just feel funny since I am usually not the flashiest dresser.

My mom, as well as other ladies in my fam instilled a rule in me, if you don't have a body to wear something don't wear it. I love many midriff higging and bearing dresses, but I have trouble with my lower belly, so I don't wear them because I don't get a smooth look.

Unless I can find some really good shapewaer I stay away.

I hate wearing skirts, shorts, and dresses that show off my legs. They are skinny and look like twigs.

My natural body shape is sort of a cross between hourglass and pear - I'm fairly proportionate with a smaller waist, but if I'm not careful the lower half (butt AND legs) can look waaay bigger. Thusly, my no-no's are:

-Skinny jeans, unless I wear them with boots - my legs are naturally pretty muscular so half the time I can't even get them OVER my legs
frown.gif
and if I do, wearing them alone looks very... bad... but wearing boots helps balance the shape out, so I can manage that. But the lower halves of my skinny jeans do not see the light of day...

-Empire waist tops - again with these, I CAN make them work but it's tricky... the empire waist seam has to start a little below the bust, not DIRECTLY under it, otherwise I get faux-preggo belly.

-Turtlenecks - too short for that crap! Plus I just don't like the way they look.
laughing.gif

-Anything kind of loose/drapy/oversized - the only thing I can wear in this category are those open front, long drapy cardigans that don't close, because I can wear a tight-fitting shirt under it that you can still see, so you can actually tell I HAVE a body under there and I'm not disappearing within my clothes - my upper body is slimmer, so I look like I'm drowning in my clothes if I do oversized.

What I CAN wear!

-Bootcut or slightly flared dark-wash jeans with a WIDE waistband and high pockets!! I've got a bit of junk in the trunk but this type of jeans really flatters me!

-Fitted tops, whether it's tank tops or whatever - they accentuate the best part of my body, which is my torso area

-Thick belts around the waist - I'm pretty petite so I have to be careful with this look, but if I go for something streamlined like a simple tank dress with a high-waisted belt or a tank top with a high waisted skirt over it, and belted, it looks good on me!

Oh and I forgot shoes!

No: anything with ankle straps, sandals where the strap goes between your big and first toe and then goes way back almost to the ankle and THEN wraps around (like this), ankle boots

Yes: classic pumps with a pointy toe that isn't craazy long, something with a short toe-box, peep toe, flats, regular flip-flop shaped sandals, wedge slides, slingbacks

Back