The diary of a Sephora employee

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was great! I don't usually shop at Sephora (I am at the Mac store, alot, though and see that happen!)

Can't wait to read more!

Hi Jen, I will be working for Sephora soon here in montreal, I just wanted to know if we get reduced pay for the SOS training? and what is training like? Is it hard to remember all the products? And how much is employee discount? ANd whats the uniform like? Thanks a lot!!

you really need to keep this up. i hate when ppl think "the customer is always right" means that they can be the most stupid ignorant ppl in the world and act like you're the dumb one. and then on top of that they always get pissed or don't listen when you try to help them out.

I would love to work at sephora. No commission!! I can be a big B**** when someone like this comes up to me and not worry about kissing arse just to make a sale!

OMG, I could never work there... 1, I would be fired within the first day. 2, I would spend my paycheck before I even got it. Rant on, girl! Feels better, doesn't it? I wish we had a Sephora here in Alabama, but no such luck. I buy alot on line though. We just got an Ulta, so I have to settle for that.

It's not so much as the customer is always right, but you have no store or job w/ out customers, so it's just the be nice thing and make a sale.

Retail is a b*tch... I don't get a lot of angry customers though, I usually word everything so they understand how things are and they feel stupid, not me. Lol. I'm good at that.

The only time I gave a customer attitude was on the phone, she called and said she didn't get her receipt for her sons shoes after returning them once already and I told her she would need it. She got all mad cause she forgot to get it back from us and I said Payless shoes were crappy anyways. Lol.

Please post more!!!!! And I would have loved to have been there when you told that lady she was saggy!

Hey thanks for this. I have two questions. I am actually applying for the job at the UES Sephora! I only want to do it as a seasonal position. Would you say that over all it is a good experience? You can answer me here: [email protected]. If you want to be discreet. Also, you said you had bad skin, I'm glad that's past tense! How did you clear it up, and can you tell me what products you use? I have tried it all. I am a nice buttery brown complexion so there will be some differences in our specific skin needs but over all I'd love to know what you use. Thanks for the post!

That's why I hate working in sales, I feel like each type of store brings in a different sort of crazy customer lol. I worked at a food place in high school, and I can't tell you how many middle-aged exercise-and-health nuts I had as customers, many of whom made snide comments about peoples' weight. I just put on a fake smile and told them to have a nice day.

I noticed that almost all the employees at Sephora wear heavy makeup--thick eyeliner, falsies, etc--is that something that's encouraged/enforced (like, because you're representing a makeup store, you have to represent the products), or is it just part of the culture working there?

@Adrienne I feel like not getting a commission doesn't justify acting like a b****; it just looks pathetic on the store and the employee..

You have far more patience than I do. I would have strangled someone with a flat iron cord by now.

Are you on the 86th street store? I live close to that one and been there a few times and the staff has always been 15 kinds of awesome.

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

okay, it won't actually be a diary, but i think i'm the only active sephora employee on this website. i think this will be a little interesting for you to read...

i've been working at sephora (in NYC, in the snobbiest area ever, upper east side) for a year and 4 months. i've had more than enough experience to able to write this. not all of it is based completely on working at sephora, but it may also apply to the people that work at counters.

the reason why i'm starting this thread is 1. for me to rant in, 2. you understand your local sephora employees a little better, and 3. cuz i'm so cool.

part I

we have at least 20 brands in our stores, where we not only need to know makeup, but also fragrance and skincare. that's a lot of memorizing, unlike going to a counter. when you ask me a question and i take about 3 seconds to answer, it's cuz i'm going through everything in my head. i'm not trying to come up with a lie. seriously, it's like a fast-forwarding image that i see where i can scan gondolas (each individual brand's "home"), ingredients, trainings, etc. of course, if it's a simple, "which mascara do you recommend?" i'll come up with something quick after asking you what it is you're looking for exactly. if it's something that's like, "which mascara do you recommend that's hypoallergenic, doesn't test on animals, and my great-grandmother doesn't use?" yeah, it'll take me just a little longer to give you an answer. be a little patient. if you feel you can't, help yourself.

part II

an example: one day, a client came into the store and asked me for my help with a foundation. here's the conversation...

her: i need a new foundation.
me: okay, what kinda skin do you have?
her: (looks at me like i have 3 heads and points to her skin) this kind!
me: okay, is it dry, combina...
her: JUST GIVE ME A FOUNDATION!
me: i can give you any kind of foundation, but i can't promise you'll be happy with it cuz i don't even know if it'll work for you. what kinda coverage?
her: well, i see you need full coverage since you have acne. (this was when i had bad skin)
me: yeah, exactly. here's a foundation for a little... (and i pulled my temples up to show i meant lift) since you have sagging skin.

she got pissed and walked out. why wouldn't she? that stick was so far up her ass i knew she wouldn't stay in one place for long.

moral of the story: when you come to me and ask me for my help with foundations, be ready to answer some questions. if you're not asked any questions, i'd be a little hesitant to follow their advice. don't expect us to just hand you "the best-selling foundation ever!" cuz everyone's different.

the same goes for every other thing. an educated employee will not hand you just anything without asking your story. don't feel like giving it? once again, help yourself.

part III

some employees feel comfortable in one "world" (sephora term for color, skincare, or fragrance). i'm in fragrance, but i jump into color a lot cuz i know my shit and wouldn't mind helping someone who needed help there or in fragrance. however, i'm a little hesitant to go into skincare cuz i feel my other coworkers, like the experts, could definitely help the client better than i can and i don't wanna recommend the wrong thing. don't be offended if you're passed on. it's not that we don't wanna help you, it's just that we can't help you.

part IV

sephora is all about sampling something before you buy it, but i beg: DO NOT COME INTO OUR STORE FOR SAMPLES ON THINGS YOU DON'T PLAN ON BUYING. this takes time away from other people who truly need the help. it's especially annoying when we're really busy during a peak hour and you stop to ask me if you could have a sample of narciso for your bag so you can meet a hot guy on the subway.

an example: there's this client that always comes into the store for samples and she's never once bought anything. we don't work on comission, so we don't care if you don't, but the fact is she takes up our time, wastes our testers, and basically gets a free thing of whatever it is she's sampling cuz she's come in so many times, she could just fill up her own damn jar.

part V

some people are stupid. okay, a lot of people are stupid. i know that. those people never cease to amaze me. if i'm standing right there talking to you and you take a clinique lipstick and put it in the benefit gondola cuz the new lipstick i gave you appeals to you more, put the damn clinique lipstick in my hand since i'm standing right next to you, watching you put that down in the wrong place.

have fun on your next sephora adventure
top.gif

Oh. my. god. I work at a Sephora as well, for about the same amount of time, and I'm also astounded by how rude some people can be. I'm a pretty pleasant person, and I bend over backwards to best assist my clients. But somedays, I feel like there are people you just can't please. To best serve your clients, you need to ask questions. We can't help you if you won't give us the info we need. There's usually at least 15 or so color brands, and many different products. We won't know which product will be right for you until we determine skin type, concerns, wants, etc.

In terms of being passed around employees, as mentioned, some of us are trained moreso in color, such as myself~ while others are primarily skin care trained. We want for you to get the best service, and are encouraged to "cross worlds". If I don't feel like I can give you the proper assistance you need, I'm going to give you to someone who can serve you better.

And for the love of dear god, please use tester wands. They're there for a reason. Just saying.

But overall, I do love my  job and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Also~ @Americanclassic, we are encouraged to at least wear some form of face makeup (tinted moisturizer, foundation, etc.), cheek color, at least one shadow color and a liner, and lip something. How far people take it is up to them. Some days, I do dramatic makeup. Others, I keep it to a cat eye and red lips. Depends on my mood. I'm too lazy to do falsies all the time. But it varies really from store to store.

I love Sephora!!!!  I am a makeup/Skin care junky.  Always looking for the new BEST thing.  I love going in, and I seriously get irritated when I am looking for skin care products and the employee doesn't take the time to ask me about my skin and what I am looking to achieve with the product.  If I am about to drop $100 on a product it better be exactly what I am looking for.  I have got sample's before, if I like the product I will usually be back in a few day's to purchase it.  It's sad a few people that have worked there since they opened (3yrs) know me by name.  The one thing that does bother me about Sephora and Ulta is their rewards program SUCKS!!!  If I spent $400/yr at the store I should be compensated by products that are not Tiny and that I choose.  Last reward I got was a tiny Laura Mercier pack, it had tinted foundation, mascara, and 1 other tiny thing.  

I used to work in color for Sephora. We worked really hard to be friendly and helpful to all clients. I visited another Sephora in a city a few cities away and the cast members were AWFUL! They were rude and when I asked for a sample one of them looked at me like I was crazy for asking.

We always encouraged samples...I mean, it's one thing to come up in there and ask for 30 samples when it's obvious that you just want something for free. It's another when you are a conscientious shopper who is looking for the right product for yourself. The price points aren't low at Sephora, and I think ti's important to be sure what you are buying works for you.

Gotta love working in customer service!  Luckily I only have to deal with idiots over the phone and not in person :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

lol you probably have it worse then. lol people only call customer service when they're pissed that the product is defective/not working.

Originally Posted by clchild /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Gotta love working in customer service!  Luckily I only have to deal with idiots over the phone and not in person :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back