The diary of a Sephora employee

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eeeks, thank god I'm not one of your customers... KIDDING!!! I loved this, you are so funny, thanks for sharing your experiences, hopefully we'll all be better customers
smile.gif

I love Sephora and if I lived in NYC I'd love to be your customer. Unforunately they closed the one store nearest to me in Norfolk, VA. The next closest one is in Richmond, VA a 2 hour drive away.
icon_sad.gif

I totally agree with you about rude people. I'm glad you pulled your eye area up like that. Just shows her how stupid she really was. I used to work in the retail industry so I can really understand. I just laughed at your entry here, you rock girl

that was amazing
biggrin.gif
i'm sure you put up with a lot at sephora, danng!

do you ever get annoyed at younger girls coming in and just trying out everything in the store? it happens a lot at the sephora near my home...it's almost like they just come in to pretty up themselves and walk back out.

keep the diaries coming ! i love them :]

i'm glad you all liked it!

for those of you that shared your experiences, i feel for you!!! vent, if you'd like
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ashley /img/forum/go_quote.gif That customer sounds so awful! How often do you encounter mean customers like that? you have no idea. at one point, i had serious anger issues cuz i kept everything in and i've been getting help. basically, i get treated like shit every single HOUR at work. i work in a very, very, very expensive part of NYC where people were BORN into the money, so they look down on you.

Originally Posted by bejb1011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i think everyone in the world should be required to work retail amen to that!

Originally Posted by Stephie Baby /img/forum/go_quote.gif Lol. This is funny. I would go crazy if I had to deal with people like that. I was wondering about the testers though. I go to Sephora alot and I noticed there is a tester for almost everything. Is there alot of theft at these stores? I work at a clothing store, so its a bit more difficult for something to shoplift. I'm still paranoid all the time about it though. theft is definitely an issue. what makes me un-mad is thinking about all the people that used those testers and WHO did (disgusting, dirty people) and just remind myself karma's a *****
wink.gif

Originally Posted by i.ma /img/forum/go_quote.gif do you ever get annoyed at younger girls coming in and just trying out everything in the store? it happens a lot at the sephora near my home...it's almost like they just come in to pretty up themselves and walk back out. keep the diaries coming ! i love them :]

OH, YES! my store is right next to a bunch of schools and they all come in. they don't even sanitize. it's gross!

Lol, Jen...you should start the story about Beetlejuice! Seriously guys, her hair looks like it's been fried and tortured. But I love the time you told me she came in saying this was NOT the Sephora store, but where she gets her hair done. I laughed hysterically when u said "did she get her hair done backstage that we don't know about?" lol
lol.gif

Originally Posted by blueangel1023 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Lol, Jen...you should start the story about Beetlejuice! Seriously guys, her hair looks like it's been fried and tortured. But I love the time you told me she came in saying this was NOT the Sephora store, but where she gets her hair done. I laughed hysterically when u said "did she get her hair done backstage that we don't know about?" lol
lol.gif
hahahaha! that lady's CRAZY!!! i'll mention her in the next installment
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif OH, YES! my store is right next to a bunch of schools and they all come in. they don't even sanitize. it's gross! i've seen some sephora saleswomen who clearly didn't know a thing about sanitizing. they were almost fighting to use the same brushes and show how Bare Minerals was great. except they just had been used on me, eww.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif i've seen some sephora saleswomen who clearly didn't know a thing about sanitizing. they were almost fighting to use the same brushes and show how Bare Minerals was great. except they just had been used on me, eww. ew! that's gross!

Don't you love the customers you spend a looong time with - colour recs, showing them how to use stuff, and at the end of 45 minutes or so:

Can you tell me where I can find all this cheaper? I'm a bargain shopper.

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

It felt good to get that out.

Originally Posted by Gavriela /img/forum/go_quote.gif Don't you love the customers you spend a looong time with - colour recs, showing them how to use stuff, and at the end of 45 minutes or so:
Can you tell me where I can find all this cheaper? I'm a bargain shopper.

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

It felt good to get that out.

lmao!!! i never had that. that's horrible!

add_wegbrech.gif
add_wegbrech.gif
MORE RANTS JENNIFER
add_wegbrech.gif
add_wegbrech.gif

I used to live in that neighborhood. I know which Sephora you work at, those ladies can be too much!

Please keep this going, this is the funniest thing I have read in a while!

I promise to be good to my local Sephora (now that we HAVE one) employees!!

I am going to come off really unpopular here for saying this, and I work at wal-mart so I know all about rude customers, but I can kinda understand where that customer may have been coming from. Sure she didn't have to be rude, but maybe she was completly clueless about skin types and coverage and all the foundation and skin care vocab and thats why she went to a make up counter in the first place...for advice on what kind of foundation would work best for her.

It is very frustrating when you are clueless about something and you go to a specialty shop for help and they kind of snicker at you and make fun of you and give you this attitude like you are an idiot because you are innocently clueless about the issue at hand. I had this experience at David's bridal when shopping for my wedding dress. I have never gotten married before and I am not a wedding obsessed bridezilla, I had little idea with what was going on which is why I needed help.

So perhaps your customer was clueless when it came to make-up. Although I admit she could've been open and said "I am not sure, I don't know much about that type of stuff."

Wow, that was interesting! Thanks for posting that..

One question though, how do you end up a Sephora employee? I want to work at a place like that, or a MAC counter..do you need any special training (like cosmetology school) or do you just apply like you would for any other job?

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO! OMG! This was the funniest thing I've ever read...I seriously couldn't have written it better! Just another day of working at the wonderful world of Sephora.
wink.gif

I don't think her customer was like that! From the way she described her, she sounded like the kind of woman that is used to getting what she wants when she wants it, no questions asked! LOL I understand what you mean though, but I don't think it applied to this lady!

Originally Posted by miss_apple_tart /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am going to come off really unpopular here for saying this, and I work at wal-mart so I know all about rude customers, but I can kinda understand where that customer may have been coming from. Sure she didn't have to be rude, but maybe she was completly clueless about skin types and coverage and all the foundation and skin care vocab and thats why she went to a make up counter in the first place...for advice on what kind of foundation would work best for her.
It is very frustrating when you are clueless about something and you go to a specialty shop for help and they kind of snicker at you and make fun of you and give you this attitude like you are an idiot because you are innocently clueless about the issue at hand. I had this experience at David's bridal when shopping for my wedding dress. I have never gotten married before and I am not a wedding obsessed bridezilla, I had little idea with what was going on which is why I needed help.

So perhaps your customer was clueless when it came to make-up. Although I admit she could've been open and said "I am not sure, I don't know much about that type of stuff."

Originally Posted by miss_apple_tart /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am going to come off really unpopular here for saying this, and I work at wal-mart so I know all about rude customers, but I can kinda understand where that customer may have been coming from. Sure she didn't have to be rude, but maybe she was completly clueless about skin types and coverage and all the foundation and skin care vocab and thats why she went to a make up counter in the first place...for advice on what kind of foundation would work best for her.

You,ve got a good point there. Sounds like it was a bit of mis-communication going on.

I agree, it's OK to ask for help when you're clueless about something. Nobody is going to scrutinize you when you need help...I think Jen's point was more towards her attitude. I've worked retail for a few yrs and I worked a few months with Jen @ Sephora. I have always taken time to help a client out whether it's just 5 mins or even up to 40 mins when doing a consultation. Sometimes it just makes it easier for us and helps SPEED things along when they have an idea of what they want. After all, there's dozens of other people in the store, and when you're short staffed you need to learn how to hustle. You can't expect us to wait on your hands and feet.
As you heard before, "do unto others as others do unto you" Of course I always treat my clients with respect, but if they start acting snobby or even give me the slightest rude comment, you can be sure that I will not take that lightly. I once had this lady give me her sephora shopping basket, wanted ME to follow her through all the aisles and she started throwing products in there. She then hands me her Credit Card while I'm holding the basket full of products....What am I, your personal shopper??? lol, so I basically shoved the basket towards her, gave her credit card back, and with a BIG smile said "Miss, the line is OVER THERE" *points to the cash register* She then looked at me with a blank stare as if I'm crazy, when in fact I think she's the one who's cuckoo
vogel.gif

Sometimes we would get the ones who would try to open the products to test them. Uh, hello! That's why we make testers, for you to test them out! Not to open each and every box...and guess what? No matter how many NARS orgasm blushes or e/s duos in Rated R you open, they all are the SAME!!!
tocktock.gif

Back