The Look Bag - October 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Test Tube from QVC or New Beauty. Minors things but nothing major. So far Loose Button don't seem to have problems but they're new in the US and Glymm hasn't launched in the US yet.
So ONE of the quarterlies (since TT is the same company behind it, regardless of which version)...that's it. Interesting and tends to make one think twice before getting horribly peeved next time an issue DOES appear.

Yikes! Have there been discussions here on MUT about the US box yet? I'm going to go look.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your choice of words got me thinking--is there even ONE beauty sub that HASN'T had some sort of drama, at this point? (Not just the living-room subs and scammers, either, but the only one I can think of that hasn't had SOME major ish is Sample Society) Not just people who disliked what they got, but either discontinued/expired products, majorly damaged items, or SOMETHING?
Popsugar is part beauty, and no major drama.  Maybe all beauty is just too much for a box to handle and it gets distracted. 
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Popsugar is part beauty, and no major drama.  Maybe all beauty is just too much for a box to handle and it gets distracted. 
icon_smile.gif
And, of course, the "manufacturer" boxes seem to be less dramatic (Julep, Starbox). Personally, I'm still not too excited about subbing to a company that only delivers their own products (Julep gets skipped nearly every month), but at least it's something.

Originally Posted by EricaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of you cancelling, beware. During their first run I received one bag out of like 4 months. They never sent my first bag, so Timothy said he'd send a new one with some extras to make up for it. Mind you, this is like 2 months after I signed up. Never received anything. Then, I recived the following month's bag and they refunded me for the two I nevver got. I cancelled at that point, or so I thought. I got charged the next month. Got them to refund me. They promised it wouldn't happen again. At that point I tried to change/delete my credit card info from my account. Well, SURPRISE!! There's no way to do that! You can change your address or email, but your card? Nope. So I wait and guess what? Charged again! Called them again, refunded again. The following month was their last month. I wasn't charged, finally. But I received a bag. It was actually kind of funny.

Also, my credit card info was stolen around that time. I posted about it (explaining why I think it may be related to TLB) here:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/127403/the-look-bag-calls-it-quits/30#post_1918424

And here:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/127403/the-look-bag-calls-it-quits/30#post_1918540
Thank you very much for the info... This was my first month because, silly me, I thought the products looked awesome... Of course it was too good to be true. I already emailed them asking for a refund, and now I need to try and cancel... At least I did it with a credit card so I can dispute charges, but what a pain! I really appreciate you giving us the heads up, especially the newbies like me that sometimes get in over our heads :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (6 subs and counting...)

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your choice of words got me thinking--is there even ONE beauty sub that HASN'T had some sort of drama, at this point? (Not just the living-room subs and scammers, either, but the only one I can think of that hasn't had SOME major ish is Sample Society) Not just people who disliked what they got, but either discontinued/expired products, majorly damaged items, or SOMETHING?
I don't think that Beauty Box 5 has had any drama.  Goodebox had an expired moisturizer which they replaced the following month, but are otherwise very good.

I don't seem to recall any issues with Sample Society...anyone?  I've had nothing but phenomenal and professional customer service with them. 

I don't seem to recall any issues with Sample Society...anyone?  I've had nothing but phenomenal and professional customer service with them. 
Sample Society had a billing issue, but they addressed and fixed it promptly through an email to notify customers and what steps were being taken. I got an email notification before finding anything on MUT.

Sample Society has always been on top of their customer service and while some people don't always prefer the samples they send out, more often than not it is a great box.

I like Sample Society, the only reason I dropped them was because the samples they were offering at the time were essentially the same items I got from Birchbox (Oscar de la Renta perfume, Dermalogica and a few others) BUT I was paying $6.25 more (I pay tax) than Birchbox and Sample Society's only "perk" is $15 off a $50 purchase versus free stuff I can get from Birchbox when I redeem my points. Other than those two issues I like Samples Society.

I sent them a FB message about the shadow...they were very nice and apologized, and said they had no idea the shadow was expired. Their distributor that sold them the shadow didn't know it was expired as well, so TLB was as taken aback as we were to find out the shadow was expired. They said they are going to be much more diligent about their samples after this, and that they will announce their resolution for their members soon. 

I don't know if I feel comfortable if they are still promoting the same  bag with the expired/discontinued items.

Originally Posted by surelyslim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know if I feel comfortable if they are still promoting the same  bag with the expired/discontinued items.
Agreed. It's possible that they didn't know the shadows were expired...but as soon as they were made aware, they should have stopped selling and sending them until they figure out their solution!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like Sample Society, the only reason I dropped them was because the samples they were offering at the time were essentially the same items I got from Birchbox (Oscar de la Renta perfume, Dermalogica and a few others) BUT I was paying $6.25 more (I pay tax) than Birchbox and Sample Society's only "perk" is $15 off a $50 purchase versus free stuff I can get from Birchbox when I redeem my points. Other than those two issues I like Samples Society.
I like Sample Society, too. The only reason I cancelled is that I need to majorly cut my spending for the heating bill season, and the products they send aren't quite as exciting as the two I decided to keep. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. It's possible that they didn't know the shadows were expired...but as soon as they were made aware, they should have stopped selling and sending them until they figure out their solution!
They have pulled the shadows and are replacing them with another product....they aren't sending the shadow now that they know.

Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They have pulled the shadows and are replacing them with another product....they aren't sending the shadow now that they know.
oooh maybe it's the same as our replacement item. I wonder what it is. BTW I tried to google information about expired eyeshadows in general and couldn't find anything.

Originally Posted by lovelockdown /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oooh maybe it's the same as our replacement item. I wonder what it is. BTW I tried to google information about expired eyeshadows in general and couldn't find anything.

I think in general, powdered products like eyeshadows aren't as worrisome as liquid products like mascaras - far less chance of scary bacteria in the dry environment. I have and use some eyeshadows well beyond their likely expiration date, as I rarely use anything up within a year, and as long as they don't smell funny or look different, I'm okay with them.

Of course, that doesn't mean that companies should get in the habit of sending out expired shadows...but if you used the shadow or planned to, it's probably not going to hurt you.

Do eye shadows ever have oils in them?  That's a concern - oils eventually go rancid.

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do eye shadows ever have oils in them?  That's a concern - oils eventually go rancid.
I don't know about all shadows...I know I have some Cargo shadows that have safflower oil in the ingredients, I think I have a Korres that says something about evening primrose oil, etc. But I don't imagine that the oil content can really be high enough to cause too much of a concern, to be honest. The non natural shadows also tend to contain plenty of preservatives. I have tossed shadows because they got dry and crumbly before, or because they've developed a "crust" but I've never had a powdered shadow go rancid.

Honestly, if products like shadows were truly dangerous when they got old, there would be a ton of people out there having issues...my mom has some in her collection that is probably 10 years old! I think expiration dates are by far overly cautious and more of a "just in case" thing to protect companies than anything truly for the consumer's benefit.

Just my personal opinion...I trust my own senses more than an arbitrary date. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back