The official brushes thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most important KEY to applying makeup is the "BRUSH" this is very important. Look for brushes with natural sable hair they last the longest and perfect application always. There are also many mineral makeup products that come with its own attached brush which are great no fussing over having to clean brushes all the time.

I received my first lot of MMU brushes from EDM last week and I have to say I am pretty happy with them. I don't totally love them but they are definately better then the cheapo brushes I was using before. I have 2 Kabuki's 1 baby buki and a eye shadow brush. I use 1 Kabuki for silk powder primer, 1 Kabuki for blush and my baby buki for mineral foundation application because atm I am still looking for a colour match and the Kabuki is way too big to use. Their soft, haven't shed any hairs and were very cheap. I am keen to try the Lumiere brushes when they get them in again because people rave about them and also silk naturals or signature minerals (I believe they are the same brush but the different prices?) Oh I also bought a Flat top which I have tried once and it was great but haven't really have the chance to use it again.

I don't know if this is the right place to post to ask, but since it's the brush thread, I'm gonna try.

I found the best application of my MMU goes on with the older, signature line of Mary Kay brushes (The platinum series). I want to get more of these brushes, but I don't want to use Mary Kay. Does anyone know of a MMU company (or any company really) that makes brushes that are similar to the MK brushes? The consistancy of the fibers are great for my skin and application.

Thanks for the help!!

Heather

I’m not familiar with those brushes but you can probably find them on ebay. I also recall seeing a link to a web site that sells mostly discontinued MK stuff “pink something†I just don’t recall where it was.

The Forever Female line of brushes are my favored for makeup, so soft. Lots of mineral companies sell them you can also purchase them directly.

I just wanted to post a picture of my favorite brush of all time! Here it is:

SoniaKashuk.jpg
SoniaKashuk2.jpg

It's *super* soft and dense. (It's softer against my face than my 187! Crazy, huh?) It makes putting mmu on soo easy! It's $15 from Sonia Kashuk at Target. I went to 4 different Targets b/c they were all sold out (that's what I get for not buying it the first time I saw it).

Oh man I wish they would sell those Sonia Kashuk brushes here in Holland
frown.gif
Or at least somewhere online that doesn't charge ridiculous money for shipping.

I've ordered some brushes from Coastal Scents (the 187 dupe and badger buffing brush) so hopefully I'll receive them sometime this week. Really need something that can handle my skin
smile.gif

What kind of brush would you ladies prefer? Synthetic or Animal? I've trying to find the perfect brush but there is nothing that makes me say "Wow! I love that feeling on my face!" Any suggestions?

Ya, I have the same question as ayct207, synthetic or animal hair? Which is better? I am currently using FF flat top & I love it.....I have seen quite a few brushes using sable hair, is it good ? Does it smell?
smile.gif

I would say that the FF line of brushes or there equivalent are the softest. They will also last longer as they will not be affected by water during washing like animal hair. I have found that many natural hair brushes may start off very soft but after a few years the get scratchy.

I use the TRUE Kabuki brush for going out and the TRUE Mineral Powder foundation brush for everyday. Love them I have never found a softer brush and they are super easy to clean and very durable.

Originally Posted by doriP /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use the TRUE Kabuki brush for going out and the TRUE Mineral Powder foundation brush for everyday. Love them I have never found a softer brush and they are super easy to clean and very durable. Too expensive for me. I could probably get the same looking brushes for a quarter of TRUE price. Natural hair brushes too - imho their flat top has the potential of getting scratchy as hell. At least that is my experience with natural hair brushes - wash at least twice a week, otherwise scratchy.
And not for a purist like me - their MMU is expensive and has parabens in it. Why put vitamins in the powder if you already have them in your moisturizer anyway? (to keep the vitamins from going rancid you must add preservatives aka parabens)

Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide. Other Ingredients: Mica, Boron Nitride, Zinc Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Hydroxydecyl Ubiquinone (Idebenone), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Lauroyl Lysine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain (+/-): Iron Oxides, CI 77499.

i have a question: I recently bought MSF in Gold Deposit, i heard that the 187 is the best brush to use with it..i'm so clueless, can anyone confirm?

I also like the flat top brushes from MyMineralsbathandbody.com, and also the jumbo buffer brush from Adorned With Grace and Aromaleigh are amazing as well.

hey guys,

I have the long handle kabuki and flat top brush from Everyday Minerals. I dont like the flat top, it feels stiff

do you guys know any better brushes for minernal make up application?

thanks

I love EDM's Kabuki Brushes.. they're so soft on my skin and it helps for a great balanced coverage!

You should also try EDM's Flat top Kabuki Brush.. it's great!

Latest posts

Back