The Official Eyeshadow for Beginners Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Jolanka /img/forum/go_quote.gif What I would do in that case is using the darkest color on the lid, a midcolor in the crease and then gently blend those 2 colors together... That simple!!!Hope that helps and good luck!!

great tip!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ~Zoé~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif With a simple colour wash focus on applying the eyeshadow evenly so it doesn't look blotchy or half-finished. Most eyeshadows are buildable so you apply the same colour in layers, creating a more intensified colour. If you apply one or two layers over the entire lid, go back and apply more layers but only along your eyelids; that way it brings a greater focus on your eyes If you want to add more colours to your look, most eyeshadows come in duo's or trio's, taking the guesswork out of matching colours. The lighter shade goes across your entire lid and the darker shade is applied in the crease, the outer half of your upper lid, and/or the corner of your eyes (depending on the look you're going for)

When you use more than one colour, blending is the most important part. You'll know if colours are blended well because you can't tell where one colour ends and another colour begins

The best tip I can offer is to play around with your makeup no matter how much or how little makeup you own. There's so much potential to be creative with it so experiment and see what works best for you. And write down everything you can! I can't remember the number of times I've experimented with a technique or a look and I loved it but when I wanted to redo it on a different day I couldn't remember how I did it lol

great informations...thanks zoe!
smile.gif

Awesome advice, thanks much!

Originally Posted by vink /img/forum/go_quote.gif My basic everyday trick;
If I have half a min, just pick the dark shade and blend them along my crease. Make sure it goes with blush and lip. Whatever the color is, always looks good.

A min, Add another lighter color just under the browbone.

Works everytime for a lazy one like me when I have no time in the morning.

Thanks for the great advice, I'm always working and don't always have a lot of time. It take be about half an hour to 45mins just to put my MU on. I wonder if that is normal??

Originally Posted by jalia /img/forum/go_quote.gif I like to use coordinating colors, think 7th grade art class. Like I'll use and nude silvery color under my brow to highlight beneath my brows. Then I'll use cream eyeshadows. To apply I simply pat the color with my fingertip then pat it into my eyelid blending as I go. It creates a professinal look. And on hot summer days I'll set the cream with a little stroke of powder.
heart.gif
patches.gif

I think when going beneath the eye, at least being a beginner, it's best to stay within 2 or 3 shades from your skin tone. If your feeling colorful. Try a colored using a highlighter in the rim for a bright eyed look. Then right below use a colored eyeliner.
tongue.gif

Great advice, Thanks!

Originally Posted by Micki /img/forum/go_quote.gif I can never seem to find the right color combinations to smoke my eyes. Being a black girl, I know that it'll take a darker color for it to show up on me (this is actually my problem with a lot of shadows). I got up the notion to smoke my eyes before my fiance and I went out last weekend. I thought I had done a pretty good job, considering, until we got on the elevator and he says "Did you just wake up? You look like a racoon." Damn. I can't decide if he just doesn't know what look I was going for (he's anti-makeup) or if I really did look like a racoon. LOL
I've given up on primers that have any type of color. They're always too light for me. If anything, I put Photofinish on my eyelids. Also, I don't do any frosted or cream shadows. From experience, it just looks like I threw metallic glitter at my face. I'm sticking to various browns and champagnes for a base, and maybe a swipe of warm color on my lid (greens, deep pinks, deep blues). I think its much better to do something relatively basic very well, than to do something far out badly.

I hear you I have to exact same issues on top of having small eyes
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Kathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif I do the same thing. I bring the darker crease shade up higher toward my browbone, not TOO high, or it looks ridiculous. Then I make sure I blend well with the highlight color near the browbone. I also only apply the darker shade from the middle of the crease outward and not over the whole eye. This makes my eyes look bigger.
Hope that helps.
handkuss.gif

I have the same issues, Thanks for the advice...

THIS IS FANTASTIC. THANKS EVERYONE!!

Am I the only one that likes to try really wild eyeshadow colors? I have on a lime-y green on the inside and a plum in the outer.. it's funky and different... it doesn't make my eyes pop or recede.. they're just there. But with fun colors on them!
smile.gif

What do you guys think of wild e/s?

And lastly, if I can offer any tips... it would be to practice, practice, practice, don't worry if it isn't perfect, and then practice some more. I LOVE playing around with my makeup, and I seem to be getting better by the day.

Thx you all for the tips....Im just now getting into make up as Ive always been a tomboy & I am nearing the end of my college education after having served our Country. Now is the time for me to put my best face forward! FYI, I will be buying MAC from here on out.
smile.gif

Cleanse face and moisturize everywhere on face, even around eyes.

Apply foundation. blend all over face. Choose a powder or liquid foundation that lets your skin breathe. It should be a shade lighter than your skin. Dab lightly on lips and eyelids

Its important to have the right tools - start with a basic soft, angled shadow brush to apply a light base color to the entire lid. Follow with application of a slighly darker shadow to the crease using the same brush (start application at outer corners, blending in toward inner corners of eyes). This is a fast, reliable way to get a professional look and doesn't require much skill. I just found an awesome web site for cheap brushes called Crown Brush. I haven't ordered yet but am going to go brush-crazy on there soon! Will post on the brush quality once they're received.
Also, to minimize very round or down-turned round eyes, line the eyes and then color in the bottom inner rims with a waterproof liner - Stila Smudge Stick works great. Then "wing" the liner upwords and outwords about 1/4 inch past the end of eye.

Originally Posted by Micki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can never seem to find the right color combinations to smoke my eyes. Being a black girl, I know that it'll take a darker color for it to show up on me (this is actually my problem with a lot of shadows). I got up the notion to smoke my eyes before my fiance and I went out last weekend. I thought I had done a pretty good job, considering, until we got on the elevator and he says "Did you just wake up? You look like a racoon." Damn. I can't decide if he just doesn't know what look I was going for (he's anti-makeup) or if I really did look like a racoon. LOL

I've given up on primers that have any type of color. They're always too light for me. If anything, I put Photofinish on my eyelids. Also, I don't do any frosted or cream shadows. From experience, it just looks like I threw metallic glitter at my face. I'm sticking to various browns and champagnes for a base, and maybe a swipe of warm color on my lid (greens, deep pinks, deep blues). I think its much better to do something relatively basic very well, than to do something far out badly.   I have a friend who is very dark skinned and has that same problem. She tried to do a smokey eye with a black shadow & it looked terrible. For her birthday I gave her some eye shadows, one of which was a medium sparkly grey called Summer Storm. She did a smokey eye using this color and it looked great. So, you might want to try "brighter" darks for the smokey look so they show up better. Also, if you're having trouble getting the shadows to stay on, use a makeup setting spray after all of your makeup is in place. I don't know what I'd do without the Model in a Bottle Spray - my eye makeup would migrate all over my face if I didn't use that. Hope this helps! Oh, you can buy the Summer Storm for 5 bucks and the Model in a Bottle for I think 18 bucks.

sexisteph - let us know how Crown Brush works out! I really need new brushes but they're so expensive!

Thanks everyone for all the tips! What are some of the best eyeshadow brands to use? I love MAC (of course - they have the best shadows! MACcosmetics.com), but it does get expensive. Any other good ones you all are using?

I'm a big fan of Nyx eyeshadows when there's no money for mac. They're really pigmented and apply really smoothly.

I just put eyeshadow on my lid, just light colors..Unfortunately, i don't know how to make effects on it...

Whenever asks me how I get my eyeshadow to look so vibrant I tell them, 2 important things

1. PRIMER: I know some of you mentioned this. Primer is very important because it creates a layer of protection, keeping your body's oils from breaking down your makeup. Primer even out your skin and solved the "creasing" problem that ails most women.

2. WHITE KOHL: I love my white kohl eyeliner. After my primer I always coat my eyelid in white kohl. I smooth it out so it's even and not cakey at all. This makes the colors pop when you add them to your lid. (As for applying shadows, I press then swipe only for blending) Also white kohl is great for glasses wearers because when used on your waterline it brings light into your eyes. Also great for the inter tear duct area.

Other than that I would say

Make your eyeliner go thick on outside to thinner on inside, to make eye bigger.

Never use glitter in waterline

Use higlighter/light colors where you want something to "pop" and darker colors where you want them to be deeper.

Blend!

Anything you have a question about, there is a youtube guru addressing it, make youtube your friend!

I'm intrigued by the i-mark e/s pans. I just love the idea of creating my own palette instead of someone else's idea of what 4 colors I really need, you know? But I need some advice on which colors are best for brown eyes. I've decided on a nice highlighter and a metallic brownish that are similar to some other shades that work well for me; but what other colors? I'm at a total loss. Blues? Plums? Purples? Greens? I'm fairly conservative, so nothing too extreme. Once I have a better idea of what will work best for me, I can pick a couple of other shades and fill my palette!

I really like this thread, I was looking for this......i'm very gald now to have such a nice tips from you. Pleas tell how to use this.

Don`t also forget that eye-shades color is also very important, because not every color is good to every complexion. It is better to avoid too bright colors and if you have a red lipstick, then make your eye make up less noticeable, it is better when one part of a face is emphasized

Back