Tinted Lip Balm * EASY & NO MESS *

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great tutorial and if I had pigments I'd probably play with it. However can I make a couple suggestions?

Number one: Try using Witxh Hazel instead of Alcohol. Even just to sterilize with, alcohol can be drying and since the ingredients are touching the tools that the alcohol cleaned, it can affect the ingredients.

Number two: Instead of a bobby pin use one of those unused craft popsicle sticks. You can buy them by the bag at Wal-Mart. The reason for this is that you really don't want to use metal to stir a liquid cosmetic. The metal could rust (even if it doesn't appear to be) and the rust would mix with the gloss.

I make my own lip balms from time to time so I learned that these were better things to use. Everything else sounds great though!

-- Lissi

BUMP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i decided to resurrect this thread and post some recipes i found on my favorite online store (it recently started to sell natural aromatic extracts, cosmetic dyes etc...).

Mango lipbalm :

for 20 ml :

Mango butter : 12 g

Beeswax : 1,5 g

Sweet almond oil : 6 g (environ 6 ml)

Mango aromatic extract : 20 drops

Melt the butter with the wax. Mix well. Allow it to cool before adding the oil, then the extract. Let it cool completely.

Protective cream for lips :

Shea butter : 15g

Sweet almond/jojoba oil : 12ml

Rosewater : 5 to 10ml

Citrus EO : 1 drop.

Using the bain marie (double boiler?) method, melt the shea butter with the oil, mix regularly. Remove form heat, add the rosewater and the EO and mix until it has cooled down. Store in pots..

Mint-chocolate lipbalm :

Beeswax : 2 teaspoons

Cocoa butter (melted) : 2 teaspoons

Sweet almond oil : 2 teaspoons

Shea butter : 1 teaspoon

Cocoa (powder) : ¾ teaspoon

Honey : 4 drops

Vitamin E oil : ½ teaspoon

Peppermint EO : 1 drop

At low heat, using the bain marie methos, mix until melted the beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter and sweet almond oil. Add the cocoa and mix. Add the vitamin E and honey and mix. Finally, add the EO.

Store in little pots and allow the lipbalm to harden by placing them in the fridge.

Another lipbalm recipe :

Sweet almond oil : 2 tbspoons

Beeswax : 1 tablespoon

Beetjuice : 1/8 to 1 teaspoon

Mix the oil and wax, until melted, using the bain marie method. Let it cool a bit before adding the beetjuice. Store in a clean empty pot, allow it to cool completely. Apply it on your lips with your fingertips or a lipbrush.

Mango lipgloss :

For a tube or pot of 12ml

Beeswax : 0,3g

Veg substitute for lanolin : 1g

Castor oil : 5g (about 5 ml)

Shea butter : 2g (about 2ml)

Glycerin : 1,4g (about 1,5 ml)

Logwood : 0,2g (a big pointy end of a knife)

Mango aromatic extract : 0,1g (5 drops)

Mix the dye and the extract with the glycerine. Melt the beeswax with the lanolin substitute, the castor oil and the shea butter (in another pan). Mix well. When cool, add the glycerin. Store in a pot and allow the product to cool completely.

lol Lia, me too !!! i jumped everywhere when i foudn those mango recipes !!!

(i even found a recipe involving coconut milk, but it was for a body lotion if i remember well).

Haha, don't even talk about coconut milk,:add_wegbrech: You'd love to live here, we have mango trees on the streets and when November reaches, they're full of mangos - the down side is when they hit the cars or your head :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Back