TKB Trading for micas or other suggestions?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh yeah i just noticed that stuff. i had seen it before but hadn't given it much thought, i wish i'd bought the wet liner though! it sounds great.

have you tried the glycerin mixed with water trick to use as a mixing medium for your minerals?

I'm bumping this thread just to let everyone know that I've posted swatches of at least 80-100 TKB Trading micas on my blog. Some are yet to be posted (blues, grays-whites-blacks, purples).

I. R. Pale: TKB Trading

Originally Posted by Lysette /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm bumping this thread just to let everyone know that I've posted swatches of at least 80-100 TKB Trading micas on my blog. Some are yet to be posted (blues, grays-whites-blacks, purples).I. R. Pale: TKB Trading

Hi Lysette and thank you for lovely swatches. its so beautiful

I have 2 question for you if you can answer I will be thankfull..
policeman.gif

did you mix the micas from TKB with something? or did you apply them as is?

and the cute conteiners.. where did you got them? from the net?

thank you so much !

Simha

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Lysette and thank you for lovely swatches. its so beautiful
I have 2 question for you if you can answer I will be thankfull..
policeman.gif

did you mix the micas from TKB with something? or did you apply them as is?

and the cute conteiners.. where did you got them? from the net?

thank you so much !

Simha

I did not mix them with anything - most are fine if you just use eyeshadow primer. Very glittery ones like 24K Gold, Pink Crystal and unfortunately also the Zodiac Collection do not adhere to skin very well even when you use primer.
Jars are Sarstedt jars, which is a lab equipment company. SARSTEDT

I think they are originally meant for some rather icky samples
biggrin.gif

Here's a review on them I. R. Pale: MMU containers and jars

Originally Posted by Lysette /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm bumping this thread just to let everyone know that I've posted swatches of at least 80-100 TKB Trading micas on my blog. Some are yet to be posted (blues, grays-whites-blacks, purples).I. R. Pale: TKB Trading

Wow, thank you for all those swatches!
heart.gif
They look so great! I was trying to figure out which colors to order and can't say you helped me with that, now I want them all, LOL
biggrin.gif

Could you please tell me - as I've read few posts above - you don't mix them with anything, just apply them over an e/s primer and I was wondering - how long do they last?

And my 2nd question: I see you're from Europe, how was you shipping price per orders? And how fast did they arrive?

Thank you!
five.gif

Pleasure is all mine
smile.gif

If u have a decent enough primer you do not need to mix with anything. The sparkly stuff needs some extra help - eyeliner liquid or smth. Most last a day if you use a primer. Some last at least half a day without primer too.

Shipping is a gem - arrives in 6 to 10 days and costs 12-14 USD. Shipping is expensive because they use prepaid envelopes. I suggest to make the most of it and cram that parcel to the max
biggrin.gif

Some pigments adhere well, some are useable only when you pat them on but when you rub them, they become dark gray and loose the lustre etc.

PS! I do recommend to get a sample of eyeshadow base mix too - u can mix it with the bright reds and get wearable blushes that way. Or blend it with oxides for matte shadows.

Originally Posted by Beauty addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow, thank you for all those swatches!
heart.gif
They look so great! I was trying to figure out which colors to order and can't say you helped me with that, now I want them all, LOL
biggrin.gif

Could you please tell me - as I've read few posts above - you don't mix them with anything, just apply them over an e/s primer and I was wondering - how long do they last?

And my 2nd question: I see you're from Europe, how was you shipping price per orders? And how fast did they arrive?

Thank you!
five.gif

Originally Posted by Lysette /img/forum/go_quote.gif Pleasure is all mine
smile.gif

If u have a decent enough primer you do not need to mix with anything. The sparkly stuff needs some extra help - eyeliner liquid or smth. Most last a day if you use a primer. Some last at least half a day without primer too.

Shipping is a gem - arrives in 6 to 10 days and costs 12-14 USD. Shipping is expensive because they use prepaid envelopes. I suggest to make the most of it and cram that parcel to the max
biggrin.gif

Some pigments adhere well, some are useable only when you pat them on but when you rub them, they become dark gray and loose the lustre etc.

PS! I do recommend to get a sample of eyeshadow base mix too - u can mix it with the bright reds and get wearable blushes that way. Or blend it with oxides for matte shadows.

Thank you for your kind answer.
smile.gif

Huh, shipping is $12 (I've checked that now) which is high since I don't plan to order that much. Hmm, I'll see about that. Maybe I'll order on a friend's address in U.S. and she'll ship it to me (I want to avoid our customs taxes, which are quite high unfortunately and their minimum order is $19.50).

Anyway, I've been lurking through their site and I don't know where to start, LOl.
biggrin.gif

Have you been ordering only their micas and have you tried to mix your own colors? If you have, how did it work out?
smile.gif

We have to play around with the customs too, the limit starts at 22 eur, on all purchases exceeding that we have to pay the VAT of 20%. A friend in the US is therefore a must have. I've used a friend in Finland before, they have the customs limit on 45 eur.

Mixing the colors is fun and they have a nice recipe book too. I definitely recommend as color therapy.

Must have colors for blue eyes are Moon Stone, Athena and Ivory Lace. Anyone can wear those and look classy. Smokey XXX is very good for pale skinned people to make smokey eyes with. Aquarius is also very good subtle grayish green, Aster Hue a nice lilac with golden sheen. Forged Gold for evening makeup (with a dark base). Apricot as a golden blush, Oriental Beige as bronzer, Winter Rose or Echo as all over lucid colors for face... Pop Collection with black mica and satin white and you can do lots of colors yourself.

The only things I do not recommend are the sparklies and the Zodiac Collection cause they need some serious help for adhering to the skin.

Thank you Lysette!

And thanks for all recommendations! I think I'll make a wish list now.
biggrin.gif

Will let you know how my order worked out (though I won't be ordering so fast).
smile.gif

I'm really not that huge of a fan of TKB. I mean her colors ARE pretty, but they are all just deviations of the SAME shade over and over again. Plus she cuts the crap out of her shades which is why if ya'll notice they seem to be so sheer and you HAVE to add kaolin or csmax to them to make them work well. I bought umber and copper penny only to find they were the same shade. Then the colors are really just glitter with very little staying power. If you add kaolin and other additives to her micas it severely compromises the shimmer metalic-y effect.

I hate Coastal Scents customer service, but I have to give credit where it's due...they have much better micas. Like a LOT better, and yes I'm like 99.9% sure they use the same supplier as tkb so the only reason the quality would be so drastically different is because Kaila from tkb (even though I love her) is cutting her micas.

If you put Coastal Scents micas on your arm and then Tkbs you can immediately feel the difference. Tkb's have severe fall out and are sheer. The colors are more shimmery than Coastal Scents but they do not stay and they will fall out. Coastal scents stays on without additives and is much more silkier and smoother to the touch when applying.

Originally Posted by MascaraJunkiez /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm really not that huge of a fan of TKB. I mean her colors ARE pretty, but they are all just deviations of the SAME shade over and over again. Plus she cuts the crap out of her shades which is why if ya'll notice they seem to be so sheer and you HAVE to add kaolin or csmax to them to make them work well. I bought umber and copper penny only to find they were the same shade. Then the colors are really just glitter with very little staying power. If you add kaolin and other additives to her micas it severely compromises the shimmer metalic-y effect.
I hate Coastal Scents customer service, but I have to give credit where it's due...they have much better micas. Like a LOT better, and yes I'm like 99.9% sure they use the same supplier as tkb so the only reason the quality would be so drastically different is because Kaila from tkb (even though I love her) is cutting her micas.

If you put Coastal Scents micas on your arm and then Tkbs you can immediately feel the difference. Tkb's have severe fall out and are sheer. The colors are more shimmery than Coastal Scents but they do not stay and they will fall out. Coastal scents stays on without additives and is much more silkier and smoother to the touch when applying.

Seriously? I'm thinking the complete opposite. I have a ton of each TKB and CS and TKB is way more pigmented than CS! I've not had any problems with Coastal Scents costomer service in the 17x I have ordered. All micas need a base so its not meant to wear alone aways.

Originally Posted by MascaraJunkiez /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm really not that huge of a fan of TKB. I mean her colors ARE pretty, but they are all just deviations of the SAME shade over and over again. Plus she cuts the crap out of her shades which is why if ya'll notice they seem to be so sheer and you HAVE to add kaolin or csmax to them to make them work well. I bought umber and copper penny only to find they were the same shade. Then the colors are really just glitter with very little staying power. If you add kaolin and other additives to her micas it severely compromises the shimmer metalic-y effect.

This makes me suspect the complete opposite - since CS stuff adheres to the skin so well, they must be cut - with boron, bismuth oxychloride, magnesium myristate or something else to make them stick. Pure micas are on the sheer side and tend not to adhere. I have to use eye makeup base to make them stick.

I love the pops too. You can make tons of colours from that pop colour wheel! Get the matte e/s base at the same time so you can actually use it as eyeshadow.

Nope..it's tkb definitely, and her micas aren't pure...they do have additives. Off of the top of my head I know she has zinc oxide, tin oxide, silica, iron oxide, mica in the majority of her ingredient listings. Her ingredient list is even longer than the rest of the mica suppliers. they all have the same supplier, she just cuts her's and makes different combinations of the same color and resells them. Nothing wrong with it. But it's obvious (based off of the filler ingredients in her micas; the fact that she has over 150 micas while her competitors with the exact same colors have a more concentrated base with less filler and they also have less shades) that she's cutting and reselling the sme thing over and over again.

I've never seen the ingredients you listed on any of CS's stuff (not to say it's not there...I just haven't seen it). I don't know what reason there would be for them to not list additives in their products that aid in adherence they don't seem to have a problem with using unnatural or controversial ingredients.

Originally Posted by Lysette /img/forum/go_quote.gif This makes me suspect the complete opposite - since CS stuff adheres to the skin so well, they must be cut - with boron, bismuth oxychloride, magnesium myristate or something else to make them stick. Pure micas are on the sheer side and tend not to adhere. I have to use eye makeup base to make them stick. I guess to each his own. Between my sister and I, we have the full sized version of the majority of tkbs micas as well as CS. So I know for fact that they are selling the same colors, just curious as to why the quality is so drastically different. CS are much more pigmented (metalic-like/oxide based), less fall out, easier application and glide..but no shimmer. TKB's are more SHIMMERY with less glide, fall out, and the "need" for a base...plus...there's a good chance that you are repurchasing the same color you did before...this is especially the case for her bronzes.
I'd recommend buying from both and mixing the colors...that way you get the best of both worlds.
rockwoot.gif

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Seriously? I'm thinking the complete opposite. I have a ton of each TKB and CS and TKB is way more pigmented than CS! I've not had any problems with Coastal Scents costomer service in the 17x I have ordered. All micas need a base so its not meant to wear alone aways.

Originally Posted by MascaraJunkiez /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nope..it's tkb definitely, and her micas aren't pure...they do have additives. Off of the top of my head I know she has zinc oxide, tin oxide, silica, iron oxide, mica in the majority of her ingredient listings. .
rockwoot.gif
As I read this, I'm pretty sure you don't read the ingredients very well. YOU DO realize that oxides are what gives the mica its color,don't you? Look on any site that sells colored micas. And silica is used to reflect light in some specialty micas, and also used by CS. As a customer of both TKB and CS, I think your comment is uncalled for and inaccurate. It's obvious to me that you are very inexperienced and really don't know what you're talking about.At this point, I can only pray that you are formulating for yourself only.

I am intreagued... MascaraJunkiez, would you please list the colors CS has and TKB does not have? Id like to look at their piggies but i do not wish to overlap my existing collection.

Also - do you know of blogs that would have a substantial amount of swatches of the CS piggies?

PS! ZnO and TiO2 are white pigments, iron oxides are colorants from yellow, red, brown to black color, mica is also a colorant. only silica is there to add shine and slip. i think tin oxide is the silvery pearl effect - not additives at all, most are pigments.

Dear MascaraJunkiez,

What you are doing is called libel, if you don't know what it is, look it up in a dictionary....

Do you have any proof that TKB is actually selling mica's that aren't pure? Do you work at a laboratory? Can you actually test them other than swatching them and looking at them?

And how do you know TKB and SC have the same supplier. Do you work in the same business? I know for a fact SC has a couple, TKB has a couple but how do you know they are the same? Do you know how many suppliers there are worldwide? Do a calculation of probability and let us know the outcome.

How do you determine what is the same color, just by looking at them? Do you own a microscope? Did you know that particle size has an import influence on how shimmery and opaque a product is. Furthermore a lot of suppliers sell 'almost' the same color but in different particle sizes and with different ingredients.

What surprises me is that you are mouthing off a pigment supplier but don't seem to have any knowledge about the subject. It has been said before, but the ingredients you mention are quite common in pigments. You might add Carmine and ferric ferrocyanide to you 'on top of your head' list. These are also quite common in colored mica's.

So selling over a 150 mica's is proof of exactly what?

Now try looking up the MSDS at SC and the ones at TKB, i did..., I checked a couple of colors and couldn't find any difference. Maybe i just looked up the wrong ones but maybe you should support your claims with a some proof??

Since when is shimmer a standard to determine quality in a mica? Do you know how silly that sounds?

And what is exactly the problem with mixing colors? It's not cutting them. I don't see any problem with buying a sample of mixed colors, spares me in buying 2 or more samples and have to do it myself and ending up with twice as much.....

Originally Posted by MascaraJunkiez /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nope..it's tkb definitely, and her micas aren't pure...they do have additives. Off of the top of my head I know she has zinc oxide, tin oxide, silica, iron oxide, mica in the majority of her ingredient listings. Her ingredient list is even longer than the rest of the mica suppliers. they all have the same supplier, she just cuts her's and makes different combinations of the same color and resells them. Nothing wrong with it. But it's obvious (based off of the filler ingredients in her micas; the fact that she has over 150 micas while her competitors with the exact same colors have a more concentrated base with less filler and they also have less shades) that she's cutting and reselling the sme thing over and over again.
I've never seen the ingredients you listed on any of CS's stuff (not to say it's not there...I just haven't seen it). I don't know what reason there would be for them to not list additives in their products that aid in adherence they don't seem to have a problem with using unnatural or controversial ingredients.

I guess to each his own. Between my sister and I, we have the full sized version of the majority of tkbs micas as well as CS. So I know for fact that they are selling the same colors, just curious as to why the quality is so drastically different. CS are much more pigmented (metalic-like/oxide based), less fall out, easier application and glide..but no shimmer. TKB's are more SHIMMERY with less glide, fall out, and the "need" for a base...plus...there's a good chance that you are repurchasing the same color you did before...this is especially the case for her bronzes.

I'd recommend buying from both and mixing the colors...that way you get the best of both worlds.
rockwoot.gif

Back