TKB Trading for micas or other suggestions?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely there are same colours sold by both, you just have to look carefully not to duplicate. CS is definitely less pigmented and which I feel is of lesser quality and thus it is also cheaper than TKB. Cutting it would make it less pigmented and you require more product than one with higher concentration. Because of this, I would prefer TKB over CS but in the end, I'm just making it for myself and a few friends as gifts so it really doesn't matter. It all depends on preference. Shipping charges are less at CS so if you are trying to go it cheap, go to CS, if you are wanting more pigmented product, go to TKB.

Also... Libel is intentionally speaking maliciously against someone to hurt them or their business. We are all entitled to our opinions without fear of Libility especially on a forum. Libel is also probably the hardest thing to prove as everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Wow. What an unjustifiably angry post.

You are an illiterate.

The poster who I initially quoted stated that "pure" micas were typically on the sheer side and needed a base. I stated (in response) that TKB's mica's weren't "pure" and did indeed contain other additives (which they do...and you have confirmed that fact).

As I read this, I'm pretty sure you don't read the ingredients very well.

Forgive me if I don't trust your...err..."reading skills". I know what ingredients are in the micas that I've purchased because I have them in my posession. I'm curious as to how you can school me on ingredients and labels that you do not posess. Quick...what are the ingredients in the mica that I am holding right now...?

YOU DO realize that oxides are what gives the mica its color,don't you?

You do realize that I never stated other wise, don't you?

Look on any site that sells colored micas.

*yawn* I've looked. Just to play Devil's Advocate here, you are wrong. Iron Oxide is not required to give mica color. Certainly not exclusively, the fact that you even made that statement let's me know you know nothing of which you speak. Your ignorance is blatant yet you have the audacity to "tell me off". Please. Sit down.

And silica is used to reflect light in some specialty micas, and also used by CS.

Would you like a cookie? Where exactly did I say it wasn't used by CS? What I said, was that TKB has more additives in her micas than other suppliers that I have found (which is the truth).

As a customer of both TKB and CS, I think your comment is uncalled for and inaccurate.

As a customer of TKB, CS, DIY cosmetics, Southern Soapers, Wholesale Supplies Plus and a plethora of other suppliers of cosmetics, I can assure you my knowledge in regard to formulation and micas runneth over. You do a disservice to the brands that you tout as being a customer of by accusing someone of being "inaccurate" without accurately proving your point. So far you've "accurately" portrayed yourself as a moron. Congrats.

It's obvious to me that you are very inexperienced and really don't know what you're talking about.

You're projecting.

At this point, I can only pray that you are formulating for yourself only.

LOL...at this point I can only pray that you get hooked on phonics, immediately. This is ridiculous. Your comment is what is uncalled for. You are attacking me and throwing an internet hissy fit comprable to that of my 4 year old because I stated that TKB's micas contain additives (which they do and you stupidly confirmed this which proves how unjustified your anger is). There IS a such thing as "pure mica"; pure mica that does not contain titanium dioxide, silica, ect. It exists. TKB and CS just doesn't sell it. That was the point of my post. TKB's mica isn't anymore "pure" than CS because neither sells "pure" mica. They contain additives. For the love of God, get off of the internet, and read a book.

Originally Posted by silvia /img/forum/go_quote.gif As I read this, I'm pretty sure you don't read the ingredients very well. YOU DO realize that oxides are what gives the mica its color,don't you? Look on any site that sells colored micas. And silica is used to reflect light in some specialty micas, and also used by CS. As a customer of both TKB and CS, I think your comment is uncalled for and inaccurate. It's obvious to me that you are very inexperienced and really don't know what you're talking about.At this point, I can only pray that you are formulating for yourself only. Thank you for your respectful response.
smile.gif

I dont think there are colors that CS has that TKB doesn't have. TKB has the most colors by far with the best shimmer. What confuses me is the drastic difference in the feeling of their micas and staying power. I think both have good traits and bad ones, which is why I suggested that the OP would get best results from both by simply mixing.

Pigments can be additives though and tin oxide is an additive (as an example). TKB even has a page on their website where they sell additives under the name "Base Powders/Additives". The base powders and additives that they sell on their base powders additives pages (some) are also included inside of their micas. This by no means discredits TKB's micas. NOTHING is wrong with using additives. My reason for stating that she uses additives was in response to the comment that her's were "pure". There is a such thing as pure mica. TKB's (as well as CS) just contain additives so they aren't "pure".

I don't see many blogs and swatches in regard to CS's micas beyond their palettes, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Lysette /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am intreagued... MascaraJunkiez, would you please list the colors CS has and TKB does not have? Id like to look at their piggies but i do not wish to overlap my existing collection.
Also - do you know of blogs that would have a substantial amount of swatches of the CS piggies?

PS! ZnO and TiO2 are white pigments, iron oxides are colorants from yellow, red, brown to black color, mica is also a colorant. only silica is there to add shine and slip. i think tin oxide is the silvery pearl effect - not additives at all, most are pigments.

A hissy fit? You're "projecting". Well mascara munkie, I can see that your aim is just to stir the pot. You drama queens really need to get a life.

Originally Posted by MascaraJunkiez /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow. What an unjustifiably angry post.
You are an illiterate.

The poster who I initially quoted stated that "pure" micas were typically on the sheer side and needed a base. I stated (in response) that TKB's mica's weren't "pure" and did indeed contain other additives (which they do...and you have confirmed that fact).

As I read this, I'm pretty sure you don't read the ingredients very well.

Forgive me if I don't trust your...err..."reading skills". I know what ingredients are in the micas that I've purchased because I have them in my posession. I'm curious as to how you can school me on ingredients and labels that you do not posess. Quick...what are the ingredients in the mica that I am holding right now...?

YOU DO realize that oxides are what gives the mica its color,don't you?

You do realize that I never stated other wise, don't you?

Look on any site that sells colored micas.

*yawn* I've looked. Just to play Devil's Advocate here, you are wrong. Iron Oxide is not required to give mica color. Certainly not exclusively, the fact that you even made that statement let's me know you know nothing of which you speak. Your ignorance is blatant yet you have the audacity to "tell me off". Please. Sit down.

And silica is used to reflect light in some specialty micas, and also used by CS.

Would you like a cookie? Where exactly did I say it wasn't used by CS? What I said, was that TKB has more additives in her micas than other suppliers that I have found (which is the truth).

As a customer of both TKB and CS, I think your comment is uncalled for and inaccurate.

As a customer of TKB, CS, DIY cosmetics, Southern Soapers, Wholesale Supplies Plus and a plethora of other suppliers of cosmetics, I can assure you my knowledge in regard to formulation and micas runneth over. You do a disservice to the brands that you tout as being a customer of by accusing someone of being "inaccurate" without accurately proving your point. So far you've "accurately" portrayed yourself as a moron. Congrats.

It's obvious to me that you are very inexperienced and really don't know what you're talking about.

You're projecting.

At this point, I can only pray that you are formulating for yourself only.

LOL...at this point I can only pray that you get hooked on phonics, immediately. This is ridiculous. Your comment is what is uncalled for. You are attacking me and throwing an internet hissy fit comprable to that of my 4 year old because I stated that TKB's micas contain additives (which they do and you stupidly confirmed this which proves how unjustified your anger is). There IS a such thing as "pure mica"; pure mica that does not contain titanium dioxide, silica, ect. It exists. TKB and CS just doesn't sell it. That was the point of my post. TKB's mica isn't anymore "pure" than CS because neither sells "pure" mica. They contain additives. For the love of God, get off of the internet, and read a book.

Thank you for your respectful response.
smile.gif

I dont think there are colors that CS has that TKB doesn't have. TKB has the most colors by far with the best shimmer. What confuses me is the drastic difference in the feeling of their micas and staying power. I think both have good traits and bad ones, which is why I suggested that the OP would get best results from both by simply mixing.

Pigments can be additives though and tin oxide is an additive (as an example). TKB even has a page on their website where they sell additives under the name "Base Powders/Additives". The base powders and additives that they sell on their base powders additives pages (some) are also included inside of their micas. This by no means discredits TKB's micas. NOTHING is wrong with using additives. My reason for stating that she uses additives was in response to the comment that her's were "pure". There is a such thing as pure mica. TKB's (as well as CS) just contain additives so they aren't "pure".

I don't see many blogs and swatches in regard to CS's micas beyond their palettes, unfortunately.

WOW, Who is having a hissy fit, with some uncalled for name calling??? Speaking as a FORMULATOR.......CS does NOT list all of the ingredinets on their labels, and if you check the MSDS sheet for say.....Oriental Beige, you will see that the ingredinets are the same as what TKB lists on their Oriental Beige, but CS does NOT..at least on my Oriental Beige they DO NOT. Let's try a little education here: Tin Oxide is in ALOT of mica's. Titanium Dioxide is in 99% of ALL micas.....Iron Oxide is in 98% of ALL MICAS....and then there is Bismuth Oxycloride, Boron, Silica, and Ultramarines...etc....I know for a FACT that TKB does not cut their Mica's...I have ALL of the MIcas from CS, and ALL of the MIcas from TKB, and there is a HUGE difference in them. CS is more sheer, and lighter. TKB's are more concentrated. AND, I am speaking of the SAME micas which both sell. TKB is the ONLY supplier that I deal with that lists EVERYTHING that is on the MDSD sheets. CS does NOT, and this has been brought to their attention by SEVERAL people. CS has now been up-dating their site, and also their labels. Mica's are not suppose to be used straight. They are an INGREDIENT that is suppose to be used to create a FINISHED product. You can use them straight if you wanted too, but you need to use a primer first, becasue that is the only way you will get them to adhere well. Are YOU a formulator? Because if you were, you would know this. If you were a formulator, you would be able to tell the difference between copper penny and Umber...They are NOT the same colors. Swatch them and move to some place that has good lighting, and you will SEE the difference. Some micas are similar, but never the SAME. The same can be said for CS micas as well. IF YOU WERE A FORMULATOR, you would not be bad mouthing a company, you would be confronting them. If YOU were a FORMULATOR of Mineral Cosmetics, you would be more educated in what you speak of, and you would KNOW that straight micas, sheer or opaque, has NOTHING to do with anything. At least I HOPE you would be educated if you were a formulator, but I don't think you are. If you were a FORMULATOR, you would KNOW that if a company wanted to cut a mica, they would use LESS expensive ingredients that what is actually listed on a MSDS sheet. They would use Sericite or maybe even Kaolin clay. They would be using an ingredient that would keep the color "true", so that it would NOT be altered.
I find it absolutely disgusting that you would bad mouth a company that you could easily confront. Your posts sound like you "know" Kaila, and you used her name. That makes it PERSONAL. Why did you not ask Kaila directly if she cuts her micas? TKB DOES have about 10 or so mica colors that they create themselves. Maybe these are the ones you are speaking of?

If I were you, before you go any further, I would do some research. I suggest you LOOK at the MSDS sheets from CS and TKB. YOu obviously know so much, and deal with both companies so much, that you will KNOW which Mica's I speak of. You will KNOW which Mica's are the same, and I am not talking about the ones that TKB formulated to Match a Mica, such as Bolera, Winterveld....etc...You know the rest I speak of, right? Sure you do!

Also, calling someone a MORON is really uncalled for. Once someone starts name calling, it is becasue they have NO other defense. I have about 50 people who would LOVE to set you straight in what you say. But becasue you know so much about TKB, you probably know who I speak of!

None of us like or tolerate anyone spreading lies, or information that is NOT true about TKB. As far as CS, I still deal with them, and I still buy from them. I am just carefully about what I buy. They have alot of nice products, and they have Micas that only they sell. So, if you are on "team" CS, that is FINE, but don't talk about another company unless YOU know the facts, and you have CONFRONTED them directly! Like I said before, YOu used the owner of TKB's name, so you obviously KNOW her...Why not give her a call? Why not shoot her a quick email to ask her what is up? That would be the responsible, mature thing to do
smile.gif
YOU need to do some serious research and homework, and I hope...no, I PRAY you do.

Originally Posted by silvia /img/forum/go_quote.gif A hissy fit? You're "projecting". Well mascara munkie, I can see that your aim is just to stir the pot. You drama queens really need to get a life. I agree
smile.gif

Well I see that there seems to be a little hmm..what's the word, argument going on? Well all I want to know is which sites would you recommend purchasing mica's from. I know of TKB and CS but I would like to have my options expanded a little just to have an overall review of how many sites besides those two are worth purchasing from. Could someone make a list of reliable websites that they've purchased from other than TKB and CS? It would be much appreciated
smile.gif

I really like TKB's color pops. You get these small little bags but you are able to make tons of shadows/blushes.

i like both TKB and Coastal Scents, they both have their ++'s. I purchase from both and you will not be disappointed in getting samples from either site. I've bought ton and tons to fill my colour collection and never have I been disappointed. Don't let the dispute here keep you from ordering because those conversations have strayed from the subject and degraded to name calling. TKB samples are larger and only $1 but shipping is more so it evens out. I would recommend TKB for your first orders, especially the pop colour wheel. That never disappoints and get the TKB Matte E/S Base too!! Definitely don't forget that so you can use the colours after you create them.

Oh I won't let that argument keep me from ordering from TKB and CS as I've already made a wish list to buy from both sites
smile.gif
. Also normally I don't let something negative someone says about a product deter whether or not i actually buy it. Do you have any other recommendations other then those two?

I have never bought any pigments from any other sites. I tend not to stray from a good thing because you risk getting a bad seed every time you try a new place. Youtubers loved TKB and Coastal Scents, I had good experiences in both so I will stay.

I've only purchased from CS at this point, but plain micas are carried by both CS and TKB (where I'm planning to order from next), sometimes they are even called 'plain mica', sericite is another popular name.

Plain micas are transparent, and slightly shimmery, with a white to pale brown to pale grey color, but nothing like what most people think of as 'micas'. In order to obtain the color, sparkle etc. the mica MANUFACTURERS coat the mica with titanium dioxide, other colored oxides (think iron oxide here), then cut the mica to increase the sparkle/sheen. Without those colored oxides, titanium dioxide, tin oxides etc. we wouldn't have these fabulously colored/sparkly micas that everyone loves!

So, the list of ingredients isn't 'additives' like cutting powders to bulk up the mica, those are actually part of the mica itself, and are added at the manufacturing stage, not by the wholesalers (like TKB and CS).

I hope that makes sense and helps to add some clarity
smile.gif
. Not trying to 'mix things up' even more!

it means mixing eye drops with mica for getting a more intense look (as an eyeliner, for instance). supposedly eye drops are better then water, sticks better on the lid. it's also clinically clean, coming straight from the container.

Originally Posted by Shanki /img/forum/go_quote.gif what do you mean eye drops as your mixin medium? mixing eye drops sounds kinda risky doesn’t it.

what kind of eyedrops? Like clear eyes or visine? Or just a saline solution for eyes to be moist? Does this also work when you are pressing?

Originally Posted by lydia.wagner /img/forum/go_quote.gif mixing eye drops sounds kinda risky doesn’t it. why would it be risky? its not like you're putting it in your eyes, you're applying it on your lids! I would not put tap water in my eyes but I use it to foil my pigments any day.

Eye drops are clean, you put them in your eyes. What else makes for a good mixing medium then?

Originally Posted by beadjunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif is wholesalepowders.com owned by the same people as Aubrey Nicole? the company name was KARMAR. also it looked like the colors were much the same at both places. i like and use some of the aubreynicole makeup too but i think the items are different. an sells makeup and the wholesale company sells micas and powders, dont think they are the same, but they are both in louisana so maybe owned by the same company i ordered a bunch of samples from both there and tkb and a couple from coastal scents too. cant wait to get them all and play around with mixing them thanks for the replies

Back