Urban Decay Naked basics 2 is coming!!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People are always sick of neutrals from UD, but they have plenty of bright color palettes! It's just nobody talks about them as much. Electric was just released! That's not even close to neutral!
The Electric Palette is the only one that isn't filled with neutrals on their website. 

I consider Smoked and Ammo color palettes as well as Electric. It seems their color palettes get no hype. I didn't even know electric was coming out until it was out. However UD announces the neutral palettes months before release. Pulp Fiction is really neutral though that red lipliner is to die for. I was so close to getting it at Sephora the other day. 

Not feeling it. Stark and Cover are the only two colors that interest me, and stark looks an awful lot like mac kid, and cover an awful lot like MUG frappe, both of  which I own. Neutrals are super important to own, after all, they finish a look (I'm not THAT fond of crazy colors or even shiny eyeshadow in the crease), but...these are so dupeable and I already have like a gazillion of them. Passing. They look muddy. 

Though who knows, perhaps some day I'll change my mind.

Naked Basics is one of my favorite palettes ever, and I hope I can get this one as well. Mattes are my favorite finish, so big love from me!

I'm one of those people who are tired of UD recycling the whole Naked theme. There are just so many color and finishing options available. It's disappointing that UD can't branch away from browns and greys. I was hoping they'd build a little more into the Electric theme and go for bright colors, but I guess not. Lately, I feel like UD has been losing a bit of their edge.

I can't stand the original Naked Basics because it is so boring and useless for me, but this one seems to have a bit more diversity of the neutrals involved.

I'll agree, UD is pretty much beating a dead horse with these palettes, but I do like the idea of an all-neutral palette that is super travel-friendly and easy to work with, which is why the first Basics disappointed me so. I might actually go for this one, because in the end each eyeshadow is a fraction of the price of buying single shadows, even a MAC refill pan, or roughly the same as a MUG pan.

It's all about convenience for me, in the end. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
Not feeling it. Stark and Cover are the only two colors that interest me, and stark looks an awful lot like mac kid, and cover an awful lot like MUG frappe, both of  which I own. Neutrals are super important to own, after all, they finish a look (I'm not THAT fond of crazy colors or even shiny eyeshadow in the crease), but...these are so dupeable and I already have like a gazillion of them. Passing. They look muddy. 

Though who knows, perhaps some day I'll change my mind.
Good point- and also, at $27, it ain't cheap. They seem pretty dupeable and I don't think I'd pay over $15 for that little palette.

I know UD eyeshadows alone are $18, but still... I think it's a bit much for such a small palette. I mean, it'd be great if I didn't already own Lorac Pro and Tarte's Be Mattenificent.

I wish they would just release these various versions of the same product all at once, and focus on creating something new and different. They used to be my favorite brand early on, and while I do still love some of their products today, there isn't much that stands out to me anymore when you compare it to almost any other cosmetics line. It's disappointing.

oh this is going to be a warmer version of naked basics! maybe I'll crack I don't know...I still prefer naked 2 & 3 to naked basics i guess..

I'm one of those people who are tired of UD recycling the whole Naked theme. There are just so many color and finishing options available. It's disappointing that UD can't branch away from browns and greys. I was hoping they'd build a little more into the Electric theme and go for bright colors, but I guess not. Lately, I feel like UD has been losing a bit of their edge.
Because they know they can slap the same nude colors on six different palettes and people will pay $$ for it simply because of the name. UD won't try harder because they know they don't need to in order to make money. I miss the edge, too.

One of my first makeup purchases was a UD Uzi single eyeshadow, probably in 1995 or so. I wonder if the neutrals they're selling reflect the fact that their original clientele is 20 or so years older at this point, and Naked is more office-appropriate than Electric. UD is kind of in a strange position. Their prices aren't really in reach of teenagers on an allowance or broke college students eating ramen, but edgy makeup is more appropriate for a younger crowd on a day-to-day basis. I imagine that the Pulp Fiction collection was aimed at people like me who are nostalgic for when they saw it in the theaters when it was this crazy, groundbreaking movie. However, the colors in the collection seem pretty mundane and conservative, probably reflecting the lack of demand for acid green eyeshadow in the 30-something middle-class income set.

One of my first makeup purchases was a UD Uzi single eyeshadow, probably in 1995 or so. I wonder if the neutrals they're selling reflect the fact that their original clientele is 20 or so years older at this point, and Naked is more office-appropriate than Electric. UD is kind of in a strange position. Their prices aren't really in reach of teenagers on an allowance or broke college students eating ramen, but edgy makeup is more appropriate for a younger crowd on a day-to-day basis. I imagine that the Pulp Fiction collection was aimed at people like me who are nostalgic for when they saw it in the theaters when it was this crazy, groundbreaking movie. However, the colors in the collection seem pretty mundane and conservative, probably reflecting the lack of demand for acid green eyeshadow in the 30-something middle-class income set.
I agree with this and will add that the Naked palettes have to be selling or UD would stop making them.  They are in the business of making money, and I'm sure neutrals sell more than other colors. 

I will be buying this new palette, but not for a couple months, after it hits the shelves at Ulta.  I get a lot of use out of my original Naked Basics palette and think I will enjoy this one too. 

Uzi was also my first UD eyeshadow, and my first high end eyeshadow period. Still have it!!

Because they know they can slap the same nude colors on six different palettes and people will pay $$ for it simply because of the name. UD won't try harder because they know they don't need to in order to make money. I miss the edge, too.
Agreed. Their latest releases have all been so uninspiring. Black eyeliner, black mascara, more neutrals. 

I like that the two greys seem to have undertones of violet/lavender (at least on my monitor) and that five of the six colors are mattes. I agree that UD should do some more adventurous palettes for the color loving fans. Although I'm a matte neutrals fan, I hate for any group to feel left out.

Agreed. Their latest releases have all been so uninspiring. Black eyeliner, black mascara, more neutrals. 
Ugh yes. For example, the Pulp Fiction collection was a bummer for me. I understand that the colors basically matched Mia Wallace's signature look, but I really do not need another red lipstick no matter HOW much I love the movie.

eta: this is another reason i've found myself lusting after so many OCC Lip Tar shades more and more. I have enough of the standard colors, I want some oomph in my collection now!

UD used to be the company for adventurous makeup and I feel like that has changed. But it also leaves a space for new companies to come in and take claim on that market. OOC is a great line for those who want more than basics. And as much as I dislike the brand, Kat Von D's new lipsticks are pretty colorful and diverse. I feel like those who first got into UD for their bold colors are now leaving in favor of other companies. I know I don't care for UD as much as I used to.

I love neutrals - I feel bad that UD isn't doing more brighter palettes for those who desired them

I think it is all about a business model - the neutrals are pretty universal, just about everyone can wear them, and wear them on a daily basis, whereas the brights may not.  The Naked palettes generate a lot of revenue and UD is, after all, a business who wants to make a profit

I use my neutrals with my brights (such as an eyeliner).  Most of my colorful shadows, however, are indies. 

I love neutrals - I feel bad that UD isn't doing more brighter palettes for those who desired them

I think it is all about a business model - the neutrals are pretty universal, just about everyone can wear them, and wear them on a daily basis, whereas the brights may not.  The Naked palettes generate a lot of revenue and UD is, after all, a business who wants to make a profit

I use my neutrals with my brights (such as an eyeliner).  Most of my colorful shadows, however, are indies. 
I agree, and I use my Naked Basics as highlighters, under the brow, inside the corners of the eye EVERY DAY. That's why it's the only palette I've ever hit pan on! I have a lot of bright colors but they last forever because I don't want to wear the same bright color every day. I think the original Basics is a complement to every palette. Even if you wear only bright colors usually you need a nude in some capacity. I'm curious to see these colors swatched. 

Back