Wantable - new quarterly subscription

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had really good luck with the accessories box as well. I've received some really great pieces that I wear regularly, but i've unsubbed from the makeup box.

Decided to take the plunge and order a January Accessories box. Here's what I got and my thoughts! 

1. The necklace - Although I did put that I love statement necklaces in my profile, I didn't like this one at all. There were too many colors and the actual necklace felt very cheaply made. According to Wantable the retail price is $34. Definitely do not think it was worth $34. 

2. The bracelet/cuff - Again, I did put in my survey that I loved statement bracelets, but this one was just too big for me, and again, felt very cheaply made. The retail price on this one was $15. Did not think it was worth that. 

3. The earrings - I loved these earrings. I love the colors, the style - everything about them. The retail value is $24. Not sure I would've paid that much for them but I did like them a lot. 

4. The ring - I actually like this ring a lot. It was heavy and didn't feel cheaply made at all. This wouldn't have been something I would've picked on a website, but I would've worn it. And that's sort of the point right - to try things you wouldn't normally pick out for yourself? The retail value of this ring was $12. I definitely would've paid $12 for this ring. 

So I did the partial refund calculations and I wouldn't have gotten any money back if I just kept the ring and earrings. So it was either keep the whole box for $36 and try to trade away the items I didn't like or return the whole box. When I actually tried the earrings on they kind of turned sideways and weren't as pretty as I had originally thought (mainly because you couldn't see the front very well). Ultimately, I didn't think the ring alone was worth the $36 for the box so I decided to return the whole box. But it's ok. I'm so glad I tried this and and because I'm able to return the whole box for a full refund I have no regrets (although I'm a little sad to say goodbye to that ring). I'm going to review all pieces on their site and hope that Feb is a better month. 

I only received 3 pieces this month, which seemed a little bit skimpy for the accessories box.  A gorgeous woven scarf, black w/ floral print, black plastic spike earrings, and a gaudy/blingy asymmetric necklace that I'm kind of meh, on.  I loved the scarf and earrings, but not sure if I got my $36 worth. I'll still probably keep it going though, since this is the first month that I've been only so-so on.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dayo Steph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I only received 3 pieces this month, which seemed a little bit skimpy for the accessories box.  A gorgeous woven scarf, black w/ floral print, black plastic spike earrings, and a gaudy/blingy asymmetric necklace that I'm kind of meh, on.  I loved the scarf and earrings, but not sure if I got my $36 worth. I'll still probably keep it going though, since this is the first month that I've been only so-so on.

I am actually thinking of switching to the accessories box.  Gaudy and blingy?  BRING IT :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am actually thinking of switching to the accessories box.  Gaudy and blingy?  BRING IT :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Here's a pic:)   

plastic spike earrings, odd dog collar/bling necklace, and lovely scarf.  I actually quite like the earrings but wish they weren't plastic. 

plastic spike earrings, odd dog collar/bling necklace, and lovely scarf.  I actually quite like the earrings but wish they weren't plastic. 

I actually think that necklace is KIND OF SUPER COOL.   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I have enough makeup for the foreseeable future (probably more than i need, after today's "arm twisted" trip to Ulta for the 20% off coupon...even though I'm kicking myself for buying this lipstick, but I digress).  I am thinking I could dig getting a couple of months of accessories for the time being.

For anyone that has tried the intimates box, is the sizing pretty on point?  I thought about giving it a go, but I'm a weird size.

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oohhh, wish I got that scarf instead of that ugly necklace I got.Then I would've kept my box for sure! 

Quote: Originally Posted by lsarao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  oohhh, wish I got that scarf instead of that ugly necklace I got.Then I would've kept my box for sure! 

Haha yeah, not going to lie...that necklace was pretty terrible.  I like statement necklaces, for sure, but I draw the line at when the statement they make is "look how tacky I am!"

....sorry.

Quote: Originally Posted by ohdahlia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've been skipping Wantable, but I think I'm going to go ahead and cancel. I'm not thrilled with their current brands( I like Starlooks, but I'm already getting their stuff in the Starlooks box AND Ipsy), but I'm most disappointed by the major drop in value. I understand that they may have had to adjust their business model, but 60 bucks of makeup doesn't have the appeal that 80 does, especially if the variety's not exciting. I loved my first three boxes, but have been skipping since August (right around the time complaints began to roll in).

I came over to see how Wantable was doing with the makeup boxes. I guess this kind of answers my question. I am pretty sure all the boxes I got with them were between $90 and $110. So yeah, not really feeling the $60 range for a $40 price tag. I do have the feeling they are in trouble and struggling. Maybe they were undercapitalized at start up? Maybe they don't have enough contacts to get the makeup they need month to month? Or maybe they just didn't sit down to figure things out long term? I feel kind of bad dropping them as they provided me with quite a few WONDERFUL boxes, but since they had to drop the # of products and value, I quit and haven't gone back. I'd love to see them make a comeback, but I just don't see it coming. So sad. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Not happy with my January make-up box, as I received a few items that I KNOW were on my dislike list. Checked my quiz answers and all of my dislikes had been changed to likes. What the heck??? I emailed customer service to see what happened, and what I should do with the items since I don't like any of them. Very disappointed, as I used to love Wantable and only recently resubscribed. 
confused.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Alexia561 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Not happy with my January make-up box, as I received a few items that I KNOW were on my dislike list. Checked my quiz answers and all of my dislikes had been changed to likes. What the heck??? I emailed customer service to see what happened, and what I should do with the items since I don't like any of them. Very disappointed, as I used to love Wantable and only recently resubscribed. 
confused.gif

This was my first Wantable makeup box and I got two nail polishes. If I put "love" I guess I could understand but I was just a "like" on it. There were a few products i absolutely adored, but overall I don't think I'll stick with it. 

Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This was my first Wantable makeup box and I got two nail polishes. If I put "love" I guess I could understand but I was just a "like" on it. There were a few products i absolutely adored, but overall I don't think I'll stick with it. 

Yeah, I'm afraid to "love" anything.  I loved lip products and also loved several color families of lip products, but because nude lippies were loved, I got THREE of them in my first box.  I was pretty bummed, but I emailed them and they sent me replacement products.  If you email, they might replace one of your polishes (they don't make you send your things back).

Quote: Originally Posted by panicked /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Guys take a close look at those Michael Marcus lip gloss wheels before you use them. I just saw a post on The Brightest Bulb showing that hers arrived with a veritable petri dish of mold growing on it:

http://www.brightestbulbinthebox.com/2014/01/wantable-january-2013-review.html

Also, it appears that this product may have been discontinued a while ago. Gross.

I'm pretty sure that that is wax bloom and not mold. 

Quote: Originally Posted by MissTrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly, that was my first thought as well, but the dark red pan seems to has an organic growth pattern of some sort, which I associate with bacteria/mold/fungus. Either way, it's sketchy if they're sending out discontinued stuff. Even if it's just separating out because it's old...it's still old.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissTrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree for 4 of the palettes.  The darkest, not so much as to wax bloom.  The other colors are fairly even and separating.  But the dark color, my guess is the red coloring was overdone as it usually needs to be for red/red-brown makeup since red may be the most fashionable, but is the most difficult to pigment usually requiring lake colors as opposed to straight mica you can use for lighter reds and pinks.  It appears the product is so old - the agent used for the lake coloring being plant based - it went nuts.  In other words, much, much easier to grow bacteria or mold.  If it starts with substandard product, it can even have less preservative meaning it was ready to grow when the product was made and time took over.

confused.gif

Liz at My Subscription Addiction had her dislikes totally taken off of her sheet (both makeup and intimates). Apparently they said there was some glitch this month with a lot of boxes. They were sending her replacement items, so hopefully they will do the same for you.

Quote: Originally Posted by goldendarter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Liz at My Subscription Addiction had her dislikes totally taken off of her sheet (both makeup and intimates). Apparently they said there was some glitch this month with a lot of boxes. They were sending her replacement items, so hopefully they will do the same for you.
I received a very nice email apology, with the glitch explanation. They said that I could keep the items I received in error and sent me a replacement box. Happy with this resolution, but haven't made up my mind if I'll cancel or keep the subscription. Between charging me for the "free" Cyber Monday box and this glitch, I'm a little gun shy.

I received a very nice email apology, with the glitch explanation. They said that I could keep the items I received in error and sent me a replacement box. Happy with this resolution, but haven't made up my mind if I'll cancel or keep the subscription. Between charging me for the "free" Cyber Monday box and this glitch, I'm a little gun shy.

they had that same glitch in november as well. 

Back