What Are YOUR Makeup Tricks & Tips?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif When I apply mascara I always make sure to apply the biggest amount on the upper outer corner lashes. I´ll put the mascara wand to the base of the corner lashes and kind of "paint" the macara along the length of the lashes in that area...it makes my eyes appear a little longer and gives a subtle "cat eye" effect. I learned this trick from your mascara tutorial, Andi, and it works great!!!
I use clear mascara to keep my eyebrows inplace and thinner looking than they really are...

And I top pluck the outside of my eye brows too...

my brows grow downwards, so i have to pluck some of them in order to get a good shape. i also extend them a bit (due to past plucking mistakes).

i've been told as a brown haired girl i should try to find a pencil or brow powder a shade lighter than my natural hair color. but actually that's not true. you need to find the exact shade, lighter or darker won't look natural.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif my brows grow downwards, so i have to pluck some of them in order to get a good shape. i also extend them a bit (due to past plucking mistakes).
I extend my brows too.
smile.gif

Here is my super duper tip, i can't believe i have never shared this:

After applying a bright or dark lipstick, i do my best to clean up with a q-tip and moisturizer AND THEN, I take my highlighter/concealer pen and trace around my lips , then take a concealer brush and blend- it makes your lip line near perfect, and with the subtle brightness of the highlighter pen, it makes your lips POP off your face. if you don't have a highlighter pen you can use your foundation with a sprinkle of vanilla pigment mixed in. after, I set with finishing powder and it never ever ever runs.

If I see that my eyeliner has smudged a bit miday and I don't have an remover, I'll use some chapstick or lotion of a tissue and gently dab the smudge away.

Brewgrl that is an awesome tip.

I do something similiar as I dont own a good highlighter. I use a white pencil or pale pink to trace around the lips, blend it into my lips and skin it looks very subtle and I think achieves the same effect. Lips look bigger
smile.gif

I also love those clean mascara wands, what are they actually called, spoolies? Lol they are good for brows lashes everything.

Hmm I use Vaseline for a quick shiny moisturized lip and also to make my brows look smooth and polished.

I use Qtips for everything, clean up stray lip gloss or lipstick, straighten crooked eyeliner, last minute blending, but probably everybody knows this.

I thought I knew more stuff lol but Im too tired to think right now.

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Here is my super duper tip, i can't believe i have never shared this:After applying a bright or dark lipstick, i do my best to clean up with a q-tip and moisturizer AND THEN, I take my highlighter/concealer pen and trace around my lips , then take a concealer brush and blend- it makes your lip line near perfect, and with the subtle brightness of the highlighter pen, it makes your lips POP off your face. if you don't have a highlighter pen you can use your foundation with a sprinkle of vanilla pigment mixed in. after, I set with finishing powder and it never ever ever runs.

I saw this girl use this on a youtube video and was amazed at how much more defined it made her lips... great tip!
A MAC artist pointed out to me that a creamy, white pencil can act as base too. So in case you forget your UDPP or any other bases, your eyeliner can serve as one... also, it makes colors really pop.

When I apply mascara to my top lashes, I push my lashes back with the mascara wand. This helps to curl my lashes and seems to last all day. I don't use an eyelash curler anymore.

I always apply some sort of lipbalm before I apply lipgloss or lipstick.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif my brows grow downwards, so i have to pluck some of them in order to get a good shape. i also extend them a bit (due to past plucking mistakes). same here. they actually look better when extended a bit.
here's another trick. i use an eyebrow brush (something that looks like this: Sephora: Smashbox Angle Brow Brush 12: Eyes) when applying eyebrow liner instead of using the pencil itself. gently rub the eyebrow brush on the pencil, then stroke the brush on the brows. this is how my favorite MUA does it on his clients at his salon, and it actually makes the eyebrow line look more natural than if you were to use a pencil.

here's something i learned from a color me beautiful consultant. before putting on lipstick, line your lips with a nude colored lipliner, and fill in your lips with this liner too. then you can put on your lipstick. the procedure is: line and fill in lips with nude lipliner, apply lipstick, pucker, blot on kleenex, apply lipstick again, and blot again. the lipliner makes your lipstick stay on longer.

My trick is for the blending brush its the lil poofy brush usually used to blend shadows in the crease!! anyways after alot of use the brush bristles start to flare out alot instead of throwin out right away just wrap one of those tiny rubber bands (used for twisties) around the brush just below the bristles & move it up a lil till you get the right amount of control !!! you could also push the band almost all the way up & Ta-Da you have what we call a Pencil brush!!!! I wish i could show everybody what I mean I feel like im not explaining right! :!

You know when you drop your M.A.C powder compact & it cracks & breaks instead of throwing out just break it all up til its like loose powder mix with rubbing alcohol til its like clay than spread in compact till its all smooth & let dry Completley ,the alcohol will evaporate & your compact is un broken!!!!

i always apply a white eyeshadow in the inner corner of my eye. it makes my eye really pop and stand out!!

To make my eyeliner darker and last longer, I burn the tip of my eyeliner with a lighter. Even the eyeliner, within my waterline, stays put all day without fading.
thumbsup2.gif

to give my brand new HIP cream eyeliners a nice smooth consistancy i had a few drops of baby oil & mix them with a toothpick. this makes it really smooth & either to apply.

instead of buying a primer [this works perfect for my lids, i dont know about everyone else's] i apply foundation to my eyelids & blend it with a triangle sponge. then i set it with facial powder. then i add a thin lotion [such as LoveSpell from Victoria's Secret] to the entire lid lightly;just enough to moisten the lid. i let that stand for a little while. then i apply the shadows, pigments, or shimmers on over that [it helps the shadows stick & be at their full color potential].

with glitter, i apply a thin lotion to the lid & apply the glitter with a fluff brush & it stays all day. [take scotch tape to the loose glitter that falls onto the rest of your face]

i have beans in a bowl that i set my brushes in to make them stand up. haha.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Celly, I agree: plucking on top of the brows is a-ok for me too...actually, if I don't pluck the top, I wouldn't get the shape I want. To any of you guys wondering, it doesn't make my hair thicker at the top, and it does grow back...
smile.gif

To make my lashes longer and thicker-looking, I use two mascaras: 1) a tube of mascara that has almost ran out...I know, it sounds gross, but if you're anything like me you go through mascara super fast so my "old" mascaras are no older than a month or so.
smile.gif
2) my regular mascara. The trick is when you're using the first mascara that's almost gone, run through your lashes while wiggling side to side. This deposits very, very little color, but boy does it separate your lashes like crazy! Then, when you're done with the first mascara, use your fresher one, and this will deposit color on your very separated lashes! Whenever I do this, I always get asked if I'm wearing fake lashes.
smile.gif
Plus, it helps me use up mascaras until they're really gone. Also, when your mascara #2 then begins to run out, and starts to get kinda dry, it's time to toss out mascara #1 and mascara #2 replaces it. Then, it's time to get a fresh new mascara for step 2.

Phew! That was hard to explain...
smile.gif

thanks for all the tips... love them.. especially Cheller's tip on using beans to hold the brushes up... I've been trying to think of something... sigh.

thanks gals! learning lots from you.

[qoute]i have beans in a bowl that i set my brushes in to make them stand up. haha.

Haha! That's a good idea. Think I'll give it a try
rockwoot.gif

Originally Posted by MakeupByMonet /img/forum/go_quote.gif You know when you drop your M.A.C powder compact & it cracks & breaks instead of throwing out just break it all up til its like loose powder mix with rubbing alcohol til its like clay than spread in compact till its all smooth & let dry Completley ,the alcohol will evaporate & your compact is un broken!!!! That's really smart!!!!!!!!!!

Well i cant really think of one for makeup but for pimples i have one. I use Neutrogena's Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask as a spot treatment on any pimples I already have or am getting. I leave it on over night and when i wake up in the morning, the pimple shrinks in size by at least HALF! After 2 days its completely gone!!! But you gotta be really careful with this b/c when i suggested this to my sisters, the mask burned their skin. It got red and started flaking. It never happens to me though, i just used it yesterday on 4 pimples, and now theyre all gone. The mask is only supposed to be left on for 5 mins..so i guess you could try it as a spot treatment daily but only for 5 mins instead of overnight.

Originally Posted by adriana /img/forum/go_quote.gif I guess everyone has been told not to pluck on top of their brows. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this? It doesn't make any sense to me why it would be a bad thing to pluck there. i was told it was because if you pluck the top, your eyebrows could eventuallyy start getting closer && closer to your eyes, and wouldnt be in the right place anymore. but i think that would only have to do if you reallyy over plucked and didnt pay attention...
iono, i still think pluckin there is iffy. although you guys have made some good points

OK...so I have a funny little saying about eyebrows. When grooming remember your eyebrows aren't twins, they are cousins. Silly I know, but it looks more natural if you don't stress about making them look exactly alike.

I agree not to wax the top.....brush up and trim.

My 2 cents!!
smile.gif

Back