What did your mother teach you about make up?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still searching for a mascara for my short, thick, stubborn lashes. 
I'm going to tell you that Cover Girl Lash Blast (the orange one) has nearly changed my LIFE.  *Trying not to be overdramatic here*.  It is seriously one of my favorite items.  I use expensive stuff like Nars and MAC and MUFE, and I've used Dior and all those overpriced junk, but seriously Cover Girl Lash Blast makes my eyes look a way they have never looked before.  I will use it till the day I die.  What I do is do 2 coats of that after curling my lashes firmly.  And then do a last coat of L'Oreal Voluminous (my second favorite).  Wiggle that product in till you have millions of lashes.  

I have never realized just how important mascara is until a year ago when I discovered this product..I remember Kandee Johnson mentioning it in one of her oldddd videos...she's also who I discovered St Tropez tan from..She's never been my favorite guru but I do trust her reviews of some products after testing those 2 and falling in love.

Quote: Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really wish she did teach me more about makeup, not because I think women need to wear it, but because I know I did some crazy/unpretty stuff with makeup, and I think it would have helped to have had someone actually show me what to do.

I agree with this too...I ask her all the time, why she didn't teach me a single thing about make up.  She said it just wasn't too important to her. 

Originally Posted by CharmedImSure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to tell you that Cover Girl Lash Blast (the orange one) has nearly changed my LIFE.  *Trying not to be overdramatic here*.  It is seriously one of my favorite items.  I use expensive stuff like Nars and MAC and MUFE, and I've used Dior and all those overpriced junk, but seriously Cover Girl Lash Blast makes my eyes look a way they have never looked before.  I will use it till the day I die.  What I do is do 2 coats of that after curling my lashes firmly.  And then do a last coat of L'Oreal Voluminous (my second favorite).  Wiggle that product in till you have millions of lashes.  
Thanks! I'm desperate for a good mascara so I'll try both. Which L'Oreal Voluminous mascara do you wear? I went to Ulta's site and there's 5 different ones.

I thought about trying the L'Oreal telescopic mascara with the black tube. I might buy all 3 since L'Oreal is buy is BOGO 50% off.

My mom wears make up, but she didn't necessarily teach me to apply it, if that makes sense. She used to buy it for me, but the beauty stuff I learned from her and am most thankful for is about skincare. She taught me to change my pillow case, to wash my face, to use a toner, etc. I think these are much more important than teaching me how to apply a lipstick. She isn't super into make up, but she wears a bit, I've actually taught her more about make up application than the other way around. She loves it now though! 

My mom taught me nothing. She rarely wears makeup, only if she's going somewhere special or a night out with her girlfriends, and when she does it's just like a Covergirl foundation, mascara, and eyeshadow. She keeps it all in a ziplock bag in her bathroom drawer, which I think is funny. I remember her buying me makeup that I picked out when we went shopping, but never teaching me anything about it. I wish she would've helped me with my hair though, I have really curly hair and in middle school had no idea what to do with it so it was usually a big frizzy mess, maybe she just didn't know bc she has straight hair. I guess her and I don't have common interests, I've also always been really into clothes and fashion and I think she's a bad dresser. I also have a big perfume collection and mom has only ever worn Chanel No.5 and sometimes she wears patchouli oil, I hate patchouli oil.

Same as the girls above, my mom taught me nothing at all. She only recently got into makeup so she's currently in the teenager stage where she wants to wear everything at once :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Oh well, we all go through that at some point. She's even sporting a subtle accent nail right now lol, isn't it adorable? Sorry, I don't have a better picture of it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My mom didn't teach me anything about makeup herself, but she was the leader of my Camp Fire group.  When we were in middle school she arranged for a stylist to give us a presentation and makeovers.

Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same as the girls above, my mom taught me nothing at all. She only recently got into makeup so she's currently in the teenager stage where she wants to wear everything at once :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Oh well, we all go through that at some point. She's even sporting a subtle accent nail right now lol, isn't it adorable? Sorry, I don't have a better picture of it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's cute!

My mom actually taught me a lot about makeup, and pretty much all of her advice was great. The problem was, I was too stubborn to listen to her at the time, so a lot of what I learned about makeup on my own was through trial and error. Looking back on some pictures of me from middle school and early in high school, I definitely wish I had listened to my mom a little bit more than I did.

One thing she taught me was that 'less is more.' At the time, I thought this was just her way of not really wanting me to wear makeup, because she thought I was pretty enough without it (as moms tend to think), but letting me wear it anyways. So instead of listening to her and putting on just a light amount of blush and only a little bit of eyeliner, I went off to school somedays almost looking sunburned and with creepy, gothic-lined eyes. Years later I'm finally able to look in the mirror and put on only the amount of makeup that I need to highlight my assets, rather than coating my face.

I think her best advice when it came to makeup was to choose to play up either my eyes or my lips, but not both at the same time. So if I decide to go with a smokey eye or another dramatic look with eyeshadow, I put on a lipstick that is a shade or so darker than my natural lip color and some clear gloss over that. If I go with a bold red or pink lip, my eyes are usually eyeshadow-free, with only some mascara and maybe a little eyeliner on. I think my mom picked up on this tip from watching the makeup portions of What Not to Wear. Regardless of how she learned it, it's been useful advice.

Originally Posted by CharmedImSure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mother did not teach me 1 thing about makeup.  I have learned nearly 90% of what I know from Youtube, fashion magazines, or in store advice and I am in my early 20s. 

My mom did not teach me a single thing about foundation, powder, brows, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, lips, bronzer, blush, or highlighters or self tanners or heat protectants or anything.  I cannot think of one thing she taught me beauty wise.

She did not teach me that it's important to even out your skintone, cover redness and oiliness in the T Zone, how much of a difference concealer makes under your eyes, how dramatic just filling in your brows frames your face, how it's important to blend your shadows, and how much using 2 different brands of mascara lengthens your lashes.  She didn't teach me how you can apply a shimmery shadow over a darker tone one right above your pupil to draw light to the area.  She never taught me to apply eyeshadow primer underneath to prevent from creasing nor to curl my lashes.  She never taught me about contouring to make my wide face appear more shapely, or applying highlighters to the upper points of your face to make them appear more prominent.  She never taught me to set my skin or don't apply liner to the bottom waterline so my eyes didn't appear closed in.  She never taught me at all.

Please share what each of your moms taught you if anything that were wise words or not.

If I have a daughter, I will teach her about makeup as soon as she hits puberty.  I went through rough teenage years having bad acne and not knowing a single thing about makeup, but know I have come across the other side (as they say) in only a few years with much tips and tricks under my belt.
Well, to be fair, the different primers are fairly new (face primer, eyeshadow primer), so your mom couldn't have taught you about them.  

I feel like mothers teaching daughters about makeup is a stereotype from a different generation.  I am also in my early 20s and I don't think any of my friends had that kind of relationship with their moms.  My mother's only advice was not to wear too much.  I don't think I plan on teaching my daughter about makeup, (If I have one) unless she outright asks.  Society already pressure girls to wear makeup way too young, and I don't want to contribute to that.  

My mom is still on about how important it is to do my eyebrows. I just hate getting them waxed/done. Mom always wore a bit of makeup but never was a huge about it. When I was going through my no makeup college years, she'd always say, hunny why don't you put a little bit of lip stick on it'll make you feel nice ... haha 

As far as teaching me anything though, I'd say no.. not unless it's the importance of doing the eyebrows. 

My mom only wore makeup to parties, which were at least every other week, when I was growing up. It took her an hr and she would wear so much liquid eyeliner and dark red lipstick. She would also pencil in her eyebrows black instead of brown or charcoal. She lectured me that I shouldn't wear makeup til I turned 20, yet she would dab some lipstick on me for parties and picture days. Se would let me buy and wear those peel off polishes and smackers lip balms though.

My gfs though started to steal and wear their moms eyeshadows and lip stuff around 7th grade. I remember in 8th grade, my mom let me buy my first lip gloss, copper colored. Other than a little gloss, i hated makeup (i also hated pink, skirts, dresses, and heels).

I went to an all girls catholic high school, and I couldn't believe how much makeup these girls would put on in the morning. They would fight over the mirrors so that they could dot their pimples, apply mascara, and put some gloss on. I started breaking out during sophomore yr so I started powdering my face a little, didn't realize how cakey it looked. I remember in junior yr, I over plucked my eyebrows and made the same faux pas my mom did by filling my eyebrows black. I just copied what I saw my mom and some of the girls did, but I never really learned the right ways.

by senior yr, my gfs were trying to pin me down and make me wear full on makeup and fix my hair. One of my gfs burned a section of my hair trying to curl it. Fun fun.

Right before I graduated, I started working and buying stuff on my own. By the time I was 19, i had the basics of everything but I didn't know how to blend or use colorful makeup. Then I discovered sephora when I turned 20 and since then, I've just gone absolutely nuts about makeup. HHahahahah

now I'm teaching my mom about makeup and she can't believe the vast collection I have.

If I could go back in time and tell my little self that I'd be a makeup whore, my little self would probably laugh at me.

Not a damn thing. Nothing about makeup or skin care or anything else. She's the kind of person who has kids but wants nothing to do with caring for them whatsoever. The few years I talked to her she was always saying she loved the way i did my makeup and was trying to apply her own makeup like me but had no idea what she was doing so she wound up looking ridiculous. I definitely did offer help to my kids regarding skin care & makeup when they were growing up. Not because I wanted them to follow any clique - absolutely despise mothers who do that to their kids - but to help them build their own self confidence. That being said, I want them to have self confidence in who they are with or without that. Skin care & makeup are a small part of life, but still relevant.

I kinda tought my self everything certain things like how to high light and conture I found on youtube years ago but like eyes and most face stuff I tought my self but looking at models make up and trying to copy until I did it perfect.

Originally Posted by feemia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mom didn't teach me anything about makeup herself, but she was the leader of my Camp Fire group.  When we were in middle school she arranged for a stylist to give us a presentation and makeovers.
My mom too! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Up until the third grade.

My mom sent me to charm school at a local department store around 11. We learned about modeling, exercise, table etiquette, dating tips, and makeup tips. We learned to put Vaseline on our eyelashes, use a natural light pink or peach blush for eyeshadow and blush and applying it by swiping it on our face in a C-shape-from eyelid to under the cheekbone.  It was very 80's and Nagel-esque. LOL I remember being in Paris at 14 with my mom and her asking me, "Why do you wear your blush like that?" Because, duh, maybe you didn't teach me! And finally a clear lip gloss or more Vaseline to put on your lips.

I then attended a new all-girls Catholic school around 12 where one of my classmates was selling AVON and that's when I went ape shit! I would save my lunch money and buy tons of make-up, turquoise, purple, and green mascara and eyeliner, bright ass pink and coral lipsticks, all kinds of  lip gloss in cute little containers. The little vinyl record was the best lip gloss ever. I even saw someone selling it on Ebay recently under vintage! lol I made up myself like a clown every morning in the school "lavatory." That's what the nuns called the girls room. I even brought my curling iron to school. When I got home my parents were still at work and never got to see my clown face. Actually my grandmother hooked me up with some of my earliest makeup too by signing me up for a monthly makeup kit subscription called Cosmetique. The application was in every Teen, and Seventeen magazine. It was a cheap little plastic tray that came with around a dozen eye and lipstick colors, blush, mascara and a liner.

When I got to high school I observed girls in the restroom lighting matches and burning  these red eyeliner pencils. That's when I became a raccoon. I had the frosted pink lips with raccoon eyes going. I remember some older girl who was a lingerie/bikini model begging me for one of my frosty pink lipsticks and finally giving her it. She was so thrilled! lol I had another set of friends at another school who wore this fancier higher end makeup called Borghese that came in pretty black packaging and was more expensive. You could only purchase it at department stores. They had awesome kits around Christmas I would beg my mom to buy. These friends would store their Borghese makeup in a large 3 tiered basket cart with wheels. That was my first glimpse of a large makeup collection. Borghese was like MAC in the 80's. And that's my 80's makeup history with some Clinique thrown in here and there!

It was basically my magazine obsession and watching others that taught me how to wear makeup.

• Less is more.
  • You don't need makeup to look beautiful. Don't let yourself depend on it.
  • Always remove any makeup at night.
  • Moisturize. Even oily gals need to moisturize.
  • Sunscreen is a must!!!

On actual makeup application, she taught me nothing. I think I've taught her more & she even asks me questions on how to use products & recs lol. I'm not an expert at all but I more or less know what works on her since we have the same oily skin we can generally pull of the same range of colors.

My mom didn't really teach me very much about makeup. My dad told me once that less is more so that kinda stuck with me. Most things I've learned through trial and error plus youtube videos.

If I were to have a daughter, I would teach her if she was interested. I would assume that she would be interested from watching me. I certainly would not force her if she was not though.

Wow, it seems really common that a lot of members' moms didn't really teach them anything and I am no exception lol. She never taught me anything about makeup or skincare. Everything I learned is from YouTube and magazines. 

My mother taught me skincare, skincare, skincare, skincare.

Never put makeup directly on your face. She always said you'd need "under makeup" before you apply makeup to protect your skin.  It helps to moisturize your skin, add a barrier to the elements, and helps to make the makeup last longer too.

What it comes down to, is if you take care of your skin, your face will always look better.

My mom never wore much makeup.  She did her foundation, brows, mascara, and lipstick.  That was it for the most part.  She always had at least two different layers of "under makeup" on though.

Back