What did your mother teach you about make up?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to wear liner in my waterline. This was engrained into my head, and I didn't start to do this until a couple yrs ago. I wish I would have done it earlier- I wear it there all the time now, and actually think liner looks weird when it isn't applied to the waterline. I did get one bad infection last year, and had to get it surgically lanced (sty) that was deep under my eye.  I haven't had any issues since then.

blue eyeliner w/ gold eyeshadow combo. I guess this was popular in the 80s, but I love it and have worn blue liner since day one. 

Not sure what this is called, but it's when you use dark eyeshadow in the crease and sides of your eye to contour. 

She also taught me bad tanning habits, which I no longer practice, but have the sun spots to prove.

My Mum taught me absolutely nothing about skin care or make up and until I read this thread it never even occurred to me that she should/could have!  She's always worn makeup, but as a teenager I doubt if I'd have listened to anything she told me any way!

She's in her 70s now and looks a good 10 years younger, but has not washed her face in over 50 years.  She's only even used baby lotion to cleanse her face and always bought a decent moisturiser though (Boots No.7) and stopped tanning her face when information about sun damage became available.

Now I know much more than her about skin care and make up and we do have discussions about them - and she takes advice from me!  What bugs me is that I have my Dad's skin and not hers, so I have to manage acne rosacea and sebaceous hyperplasia.

Genes LOL!

My mother has always worn makeup, she would never leave the house without any makeup on. She did not know a lot about makeup, but her makeup always looked good (except that 80s phase with blue eyeshadow and bright pink lipstick 
laughing.gif
). She did not let me wear makeup before I was 15, which I now think was a good thing. When I was 16 and wanted to start wearing makeup, she bought me makeup lessons at a local beauty salon because she wanted me to do it "right". Now I know more than her about makeup, and she often asks me for advice. We like to go to Sephora together and try new things. I am glad she did all those things for me.

She taught me how to take care of my skin. Also, when I started to get acne as a teenager, she immediately took me to see a dermatologist. I hope I will age as well as she does, she's 55 but looks 10 years younger. People are always surprised when she tells them her age.

I will definitely do the same if I have a daughter one day (if she's interested in makeup and old enough of course).

my mom taught me, the skin on my body is the only one I have and take very good care of it.  I want to look like her when I'm 74, she has very nice skin on her face and body.  None of it has been intervened with injections or fillers or laser scrubbed or hair pulled back(croydon facelift - yikes) or facials(she thinks they're only for lazy ppl, not sure what the logic of that is?) She only uses cold cream and face moisturizer from Ponds every day and night.

I haven't taken care of my skin as well as she did, I got serious sunburn a few times :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and I only started to do makeup, now, when I'm middle aged as I wanted to have more even tone on my face and to bring some colour into it.  I get my info from youtube, friends and fellow makeup junkies 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

my mom made makeup out to be something only prostitutes used (well we did live in a rough area for a long time and yes there were lots of ladies of the night we had to pass after 430pm with heavy heavy makeup on to get home) and she punished me quite severely if I did try to wear makeup.

I have makeup fun with my little girl as I want her to be  comfortable with makeup either on or off and not be terrified to death of them or even to feel ashamed every time she wants to wear makeup like I am(still feel embarrassed when I wear makeup even though I like how I look with a little bit on, I never wear it around my mom except at weddings, weird, eh, not to bash her, therapy is useful 
claps.gif
 )

My mom taught me that if you don't have time to do your make up at least put some mascara on and maybe a little lip gloss with a tint so you have the appearance of putting your make up on!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My mum actually taught me a handy tip, if you're ever in a rush or stuck somewhere without any blusher, use a tiny bit of lipstick and rub  that into the apples of your cheeks thoroughly.

Great advice and it can look really good especially with softer pinks

My mom is more into skincare- she always washes her face and takes off her makeup. She also moisturizes a lot since her skin has always been dry. She also did the lipstick on the cheek trick because once or twice she forgot to put on makeup and that's all she had, lol. Overall though she's more into skin and hair care over makeup. But I remember asking her when I was little and she's always said that less is more.

My mom tried for years to get me into makeup and skincare. I have a chemical imbalance in my brain that causes severe depression and anxiety (it's under control now). At the time, it manifested as me not giving a good g-d about what I looked like because no one thought I was pretty anyway so why bother? It took me until I was 19 years old to start wearing makeup regularly, though I did occasionally wear extreme looks through the years but nothing really..."pretty". My mom was sweet though, she bought me bags and bags of cosmetics and sent me to modeling school to try and boost my self-esteem. It was a valiant effort.

Nowadays she's lost interest in makeup but my dad...OMG my dad loves to sit and talk to me about makeup! We have the most in-depth conversations about what brushes I use, what techniques are and how they are done, colors, variations...everything! My mom will let us talk for hours about it...

Originally Posted by CandyLipstick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nowadays she's lost interest in makeup but my dad...OMG my dad loves to sit and talk to me about makeup! We have the most in-depth conversations about what brushes I use, what techniques are and how they are done, colors, variations...everything! My mom will let us talk for hours about it...
   That is awesome!

Originally Posted by CandyLipstick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mom tried for years to get me into makeup and skincare. I have a chemical imbalance in my brain that causes severe depression and anxiety (it's under control now). At the time, it manifested as me not giving a good g-d about what I looked like because no one thought I was pretty anyway so why bother? It took me until I was 19 years old to start wearing makeup regularly, though I did occasionally wear extreme looks through the years but nothing really..."pretty". My mom was sweet though, she bought me bags and bags of cosmetics and sent me to modeling school to try and boost my self-esteem. It was a valiant effort.

I want your dad!

I told my dad about y'alls reactions, he said he felt loved (more-so). I forgot to mention he loves to sign up for emails from my favorite brands so he can tell me all about sales and new products that come out as well.

Absolutely nothing at all. She didn't start wearing it until age 47. I was 27 at that time and had been wearing it long before that.

Originally Posted by Jess Evans /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mum actually taught me a handy tip, if you're ever in a rush or stuck somewhere without any blusher, use a tiny bit of lipstick and rub  that into the apples of your cheeks thoroughly.

Great advice and it can look really good especially with softer pinks
My mom always had me do the same thing! And yeah, if you're doing a touch up while you are out or just need some quick color, it's a really great tip! She actually taught me quite a bit about make-up and skincare. She taught me the right way to apply eye shadows, how to do winged eyeliner, ALWAYS make sure you have some color on your cheeks and lips, and she was always a good role model in the skincare department because she was religious about her regimen, and drilled into my head that you DO NOT SLEEP IN YOUR MAKEUP, haha! She has also been dying her hair at home for as long as I can remember, so I got some awesome lessons in at-home hair coloring. I have only ever had my hair professionally colored twice, I always do it myself. 

Absolutely nothing. To this day, my dream is to give my mother a full makeover. She will not consent. 
plain.gif

Same as everyone esle really, my mum just said not to cake it on. She only ever wears make up for special occasions and dates with my dad. My mum hardly ever dessess up, she doesnt even own a single pair of heels. 

Im slowly gathering tips about make up. I had bad skin as a teenager and my mum told me not to pile make up on it because it would only make it worse, not only that we werent allowed make up at school, and teachers would line the usual suspects up at the front and go down thier faces with a wet wipe.....

Im following the advice of friends, youtube vids, magazines and books and still experimenting. I had good skin in my 20's so only ever worke make up when I went out and beieved even then that less was more. I think I did gain that much from my mum, she never had a dodgy jawline or smeared mascara etc etc

When my daughter grows up (shes only 2) I will teach her about good skin care, hair removal, and nail polish. I will encourage the whole less is more when it comes to make up and not to over pile it on acne.

Im only going to give her advice if she asks for it and try to discourage it while she's in school unless she has a bad skin problem. 

my mum also did not teach me anything about makeup ,she has never been someone to wear a lot, she's naturally got a more olive skin tone compared to my own, so she only adds a foundation on top will add a stroke of eyeliner and some mascara but nothing very exciting. I started experimenting with using eyeliner from a young age (probably about 13) trying it out on my eyes using different styles, adding flicks making a cat eye style. I also then began using a lot of eye shadows to create a smoky eye effect through this practice I've gained a big understanding of what looks good and what doesn't and how to create certain effects. My mother never wanted me going out with a lot of make up, and I still don't like the feeling of wearing too much unless I'm going to a big event or party. I just used to base it off what I would see in magazines or on the television. 

My mom made me feel insecure about makeup. She always came off as nagging at a young pre-teen age "You'll have to wear eyeliner when you older because your eyes are too small" I was really self-conscience about my eyes growing up because of that. I squint in pictures when smiling now, other than that I grew up and my eye size looks fine. She always taught me that I had to use brown eyeliner and brown mascara. Idk why, but she engrained it in my head that those were my colors. So, it's only recently that I've branched out at 23. And, I didn't get into makeup until 21.

As far as skin care she always nagged me about my big mole on my neck starting in elementary school and on up. It was all for vanity reasons because she thought it was an eye sore, so as far as I can remember I was always insecure over it. In elementary school I got hold of one of her concealers and tried to hide it. It looked bad since the texture of the mole was different from my normal skin. When I went to work and school after removing it in college, every one asked what the open wound on my neck was from, and I told them "remember the big mole on my neck? I had it removed." And none of them had noticed that I had a mole there at one point. Then, I wondered if maybe it wasn't as massive as she had painted it out to be. I have other moles on my neck and body that are tiny that she started picking at for me to get them removed after the big one went away. I told her that I'm done. No more removal unless it's cancer. The mole removal actually left me a scar too. She has also told me to go get the scar fixed by a surgeon, but honestly you can barely see it. My own husband didn't even know it was there until I told him that it was there. I'm guessing she has insecurities in her skin, and she's just reflecting them on to me. She also nagged about my weight and everything in between, so I'm done with any comments she has about my appearance. I'm fine as I am.

My adoptive mother was a very old-school Polish immigrant who wore very little make-up. By the time I was old enough for it, she was already edging into second-stage Alzheimers and was forgetting how to do so,ething as small as putting on a lipstick. So while I learned largely from classmates and teen-girl magazines (no Youtube in them-there long-gone 1970's) I did get one very important thing from my mother: first, less is more. Second, don't neglect your skin care.  Frances wore red lipstick, eye pencil, and powder, and that was IT. Before she got sick, she took excellent care of her skin--so good, that no one including myself knew her real age; I did not know until I was 19 that she was pushing 80. Her simple makeup routine was classy, despite using the cheapest products she could get. Up to her very last months, sher looked ageless.

My mother did not teach me 1 thing about makeup.  I have learned nearly 90% of what I know from Youtube, fashion magazines, or in store advice and I am in my early 20s.  My mom did not teach me a single thing about foundation, powder, brows, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, lips, bronzer, blush, or highlighters or self tanners or heat protectants or anything.  I cannot think of one thing she taught me beauty wise. She did not teach me that it's important to even out your skintone, cover redness and oiliness in the T Zone, how much of a difference concealer makes under your eyes, how dramatic just filling in your brows frames your face, how it's important to blend your shadows, and how much using 2 different brands of mascara lengthens your lashes.  She didn't teach me how you can apply a shimmery shadow over a darker tone one right above your pupil to draw light to the area.  She never taught me to apply eyeshadow primer underneath to prevent from creasing nor to curl my lashes.  She never taught me about contouring to make my wide face appear more shapely, or applying highlighters to the upper points of your face to make them appear more prominent.  She never taught me to set my skin or don't apply liner to the bottom waterline so my eyes didn't appear closed in.  She never taught me at all. Please share what each of your moms taught you if anything that were wise words or not. If I have a daughter, I will teach her about makeup as soon as she hits puberty.  I went through rough teenage years having bad acne and not knowing a single thing about makeup, but know I have come across the other side (as they say) in only a few years with much tips and tricks under my belt.
Same with me. My mom is very simple and low maintenanced lady who is not into make up.

Back