What hit the trash can today?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it is the same sub :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It did become gritty after awhile which I assumed it was caused by the cocoa. Maybe that was a bad assumption.
Cocoa butter is definitely solid at room temperature.  I have two huge chunks of it in my pantry that I bought for baking (to use it I have to hack off a piece and weigh it, then melt it in a double boiler -- but it makes for very good cookies).  So anyway, that could totally be the reason.  If it separated a little bit or wasn't blended very well in the first place, and it then got a little cold, that would probably contribute to greasiness.

I have another lip balm (maybe from back when I got Petit Vour) that has coconut oil as a main ingredient and that's a little bit gritty too.  (Coconut oil is also basically solid at room temperature -- and also makes very good cookies, for what it's worth.)

Still going through my inventory which is taking awhile because I put stuff in my stash thinking I will read the ingredients later. Everything is from subscription boxes. This is from last night.

Giving to my sister to see if she wants it.

1. SkinAgain Youth full size - It has aloe in it which is bad for my rosacea. Too bad because I was looking forward to trying it because it is paraben free.

2. L'Oreal Age Perfect Cell Renewal Golden Serum  and day cream foils - I am assuming I can't use it. They came in the Wal Mart winter box which I thought was worth the risk for $5.00. Ok. I went back and read the ingredients which were a lot. I recognized a few ingredients that I know will bother me.

3. 100% Pure red wine resveratrol nourishing cream  full size?- Got this in the 100% Pure Mystery Bag. Resveratrol is good for rosacea. The formula has aloe in it so I can't use it.

4. Purely You Minerals Dawn color - lip gloss, blush, eye shadow??? I don't remember. I don't like the color.

5. Bourghese Age-Defying Cellulare Complex Exfoliate Facial Scrub deluxe sample - 2nd ingredient is sodium laureth sulfate which burns my face.

6. Olay tone perfecting cream delux sample - I'm not sure if it will bother my skin. My skin is pretty happy so I am not going to risk it. I don't feel like looking up all those ingredients for a .24 ounce sample that I can give to my sister. I have other stuff I can use. The positive in this is that when I read it nothing jumped out at me saying I can't use it.

Tisserand Aromatherapy Rose Blend Deodorant.  I got this at TJMaxx.   Didn't work well at all.  Yep, I stunk.

Sadly i had to trash my Soap and Glory One Heck Of A Block translucent powder. It is my absolute favourite! Not to worry through I had a back up so it was kind of like it was never gone haha! 

I threw out a Clinique Black Honey lipstick.  I think its a deluxe size from a GWP.  I know this is suppose to be a universal color.  But,  that never seems to apply to me.  I gave it a good try.

Ok here are my weekly used up and trashed items:

Ponds Original Fresh Wet Cleansing Toweletts 30 pack. I like these ok. I really love that they are a 30 count vs most of the 25 counts. My fave are always the Neutrogena but I like to try new ones for some reason haha!

Neutrogena Make-Up Remover Cleansing Towelettes 7 pack. These are my fave and I love that they come in a travel pack. Will definitely repurchase. These actually can take off a full face of makeup with one towelette. 

Bronze Glow Tinted Sunless Spray tanner from ULTA in Light to Medium - 6 fl oz. I love this stuff. Really works. I am fairly tan but the light to medium keeps me tan during the winter. No streaking and great spray nozzle for even distribution. Not too bad of a smell. I spray on at night so that in the AM I don't smell too bad the rest of the day. 

Toni & Guy Prep Heat Protection Mist 75 ml - Got this from Birchbox. Love the smell and it actually works well as a prep spray too. Gives me a little volume too. I may repurchase but have so much hair prep and prime stuff right now. 

Paula's Choice Resist C15 Super Booster - sample size - I think I got this in a Birchbox. I love serums but I did not like this one. The smell is terrible. However, the color was an orangey color which gave me a bit of a glow so I did like this. Won't repurchase. 

Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pad - Got this in an order on Sephora. I love these things. They are a mild peel pad and give a mild bronze effect. They give me a bit of redness like a peel for the first 12-24 hours so I like doing this 24-48 hours before I need a glow and clear skin. Will repurchase and actually have half a pack as a back up. 

Philosophy Hope in A Jar Night cream 12 ml - This says it is an intense retexturizing moisturizer. I do think it is moisturizing but I don't know about re-texturizing. I do enjoy Philosophy products and typically the smell is great but this one seemed to have an odd smell to me. Not sure if the sample sat around for too long but I did not enjoy the smell and there are many other night creams out there that I love more.

Bare Minerals Advanced Protection SPF 20 Moisturizer - 5 ml - I liked this moisturizer ok but love others better. Things I enjoy are the mild scent, high SPF and absorbs easily. Won't likely repurchase though. 

Murad Rapid Collagen Infusion 5 ml - I am totally into trying collagen boosting products right now. This one was great. Saw minor change but it was ultimately just a 5 ml sample so I think with regular use, you can fill in some of those fine wrinkles. It is moisturizing and lightweight so it absorbs quickly. May repurchase. 

TRASHED - I actually donated these items below. My friend takes items that are hygienic and donates them to a women's shelter. 

Eminence Organic Skin Care Lemon Cleanser - 8 oz - I got this on Skin Care by Alana website. It leaves a filmy residue on my skin and have to actually use another face cleanser to wash that off. 

Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream 0.42 oz - I donated this because I tried it in a full size many years ago and I did not enjoy the super greasy feel and old lady smell. I know it is a classic but I just don't like it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Threw away a lipstick I got in an Ipsy bag awhile back - NYX in Goddess.  

Sometimes it worked, but it usually pulled kind of a weird orange/brown/putty color on me, and a good 80% of the time I had to put some gloss on over it to bring the color where I wanted it to be.  I have so many other great lipsticks (both mainstream and indie!) that I can just put on and go, I don't need one that goes weird on me!  TRASH.

A few more products going to my sister. They are all from the DermStore Grab bags.

1.Fekkai Full Blown Volume Shampoo 2 fl oz x2 - I have thick, wavy hair that has lots of volume.

2. Klorane Extra Gentle Dry Shampoo 1.06 oz x2- I never tried dried shampoo The ingredients sound scary. Butane. Propane...SD Alcohol 39-C among others. Maybe I am misunderstanding the meanings of butane and propane.

3. Santalia Clinical Acne Daily Cleanser - I have rosacea, not acne. My sister can use this.

A few more products going to my sister. They are all from the DermStore Grab bags.

1.Fekkai Full Blown Volume Shampoo 2 fl oz x2 - I have thick, wavy hair that has lots of volume.

2. Klorane Extra Gentle Dry Shampoo 1.06 oz x2- I never tried dried shampoo The ingredients sound scary. Butane. Propane...SD Alcohol 39-C among others. Maybe I am misunderstanding the meanings of butane and propane.

3. Santalia Clinical Acne Daily Cleanser - I have rosacea, not acne. My sister can use this.
I think the butane and propane are just propellants, like in aerosol hairspray. I wouldn't breathe it in on purpose (or any powder), but it seems less toxic than say, Aqua Net. I hope your sister enjoys it, it's one of my favorite products.  :wub:  I had never really appreciated dry shampoo until about a year ago and now I'm like WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE lol. Thank you Klorane for all those times you let me sleep in when I should have been showering.  :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@ That makes sense. I guess it has to be listed as an ingredient even if it is a propellant. I'm glad to read your comments on it. She has days where she doesn't have time to wash her hair and I thought this would be helpful.

It seems that I go through skin care products the quickest:

Done with: Caudelie Eye & Lip Cream sample, Caudelie face serum sample, and Amore Pacific moisturizer sample. All were ok, but I'm not sure I would purchase any of them.

The butane and propane are just propellants.  They won't get on your hair.  They'll evaporate pretty much instantly as they come out of the can.  The alcohol might be somewhat drying.  Which I think is partially the point of dry shampoo -- to control the oils you accumulate from not doing a regular shampoo.  (I don't use dry shampoo either, though I've accumulated quite a stash of it from sub boxes.)

Edit: Oops, someone else already said this.  Oh well.  That's what I get for posting before 7AM.

I have thrown out two ancient lip glosses, and one balm which I have been keeping in my pencil case and trying to use for over a year. It smells like very intense smarties and its not very moisturizing and I just hate it.  I also recently threw out my Studio Beauty Sponge because it was just not applying makeup as well as it used to.

Hitting the trash can today:

• Butter London Nail Foundation Base Coat - I love this product, it's one of my favorites.  However this is a half used mini that has gone goopy so I'm getting rid of it.  I already have a full sized replacement.
  • Butter London Hardwear Top Coat - I love this too, but tossing for the same reason as the base coat.  The mini has gone goopy and I have a full sized replacement.
  • Malin and Goetz Bergamot Body Wash - Yuck!  This smells like a combination of chemicals/medication.  I used it once and washed it off with another shower gel because it smelled so bad!  This was part of my Sample Society box a few months ago.
  • Benefit the Porefessional - This is normally my favorite primer however this is such an old tube (before the new packaging) that the product just doesn't function properly anymore.  This tube came in my Benefit Snow White and the Huntsman set, however long ago that was.  It blends in to little bits that ball up on my face.  I used up my travel sized primers last year and this full sized one was neglected.  Now in to the trash it goes.
What Hit the Trashcan.jpeg

I had a fun afternoon trying on lip products chucked the following after confirming that the shades were just not flattering on me/never going to be worn IRL. Most are deluxe sample sizes from the Sephora Give Me More Lip Set

Too Faced Melted Liquified Longwear Lipstick in Fuchsia. I do like the applicators on these. I think it makes it a lot easier to apply liquid lipstick than a standard doe foot applicator, and I don't have to go back over it with my finger to make sure everything is smooth and evenly distributed. That being said, I can't do opaque fuchsia on a day to day basis.

Buxom Full Bodied Lipstick in Menace This went on really dark...OK, I'll fess up, I hate myself for this, but I can't stand Buxom because this girl I can't stand LOVES Buxom and whenever I see it reminds me of what a pox on the Earth she is lol. Anyway, I'm glad I no longer have to see this in my stash. Does anyone else have any similar issues, or do I just need another therapist? lol

Laura Mercier Creme Smooth Lip Colour in Red Armour Speaking of brand stereotypes, when I tossed this I thought it was a Smashbox product, and then had to think for a second if I wanted to rescue it when I found out it was Laura Mercier, but it doesn't change the fact that this red pulls very orange on me.

Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Outlaw I was actually impressed by the formula, but the primary red wasn't something I could picture myself ever wearing, and I'm not KvD's biggest fan.

Sephora Rouge Infusion in 10 Red Essence I was surprised/impressed by the consistency of this. It was more like a liquid lipstick, where I had been expecting something like Benetint in consistency. A bit bold for my everyday look, but I might have to take a look at the other colors of this product in-store.

BellaPierre Shimmer Powder in Whesek I'm a bit dubious of BellaPierre in general (it seems to be overpriced PLM makeup), and I greatly prefer pressed shadows to loose.

BellaPierre Mineral Lipstick in Cabernet The product itself wasn't atrocious, but the packaging felt super cheap and this isn't something I can picture myself wearing.

NYX Cosmetics Butter Lip Balm in Parfait I liked the color and texture, but don't like fruity scents.

Elizabeth Mott you're so FINE Eyeliner I was going to try this today, but after swatching it on the back of my hand, all that glitter just looked like a scratched cornea waiting to happen (my eyes water).

October teal plastic Ipsy bag I've been using this every day for a while, and ready for a change up.

Clear Clinic Laboratories Vanished Clear Spot Treatment This was getting gross, and I have no idea how since it feels like 100% alcohol, but the doe foot applicator was greyish and the solution cloudy. Definitely wouldn't repurchase.

Ciate Mini Paint Pot in All Aglow Not a big fan of gold or glitter polish.

Pacifica Natural Mineral Coconut Eye Shadow in Ethereal f/s The product consistency wasn't bad, but it didn't show up on my skin tone at all.

Dr. Dennis Gross Clinical Concentrate Radiance Booster d/s I tried to use this the other night and it had dried out. 

Done with a Caudelie moisturizer with SPF sample and an Amore Pacific eye cream! I liked having a moisturizer/SPF combo :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Now I'm working on the Perricone MD facial moisturizer. I really like it! Once that and my Nourish Organic eye cream finish, I'm going to use my Origins and FAB skincare sets. Excited!

I gave this a good try but, its just not my color.

Butter London Strawberry field lipstick.

Ugh! I might have to do the same. I really like the formula, but it leans too orange on me
Yes, too orange for me too. It stinks to throw out a perfectly good lipstick. My first Butter London. But, I can't hang on to colors I keep trying that just don't work.

Back