What is the best facial cleanser (and toner) for combination/oily skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the natural posts above are awesome! I recommend the 2 Minute Miracle Gel by Ice Elements. It actually does a few things in one and I swear by it!

You should definitely try the POREfessional primer by Benefit. It minimizes pores meaning it prevents oil from out shining your face. Also, as a cleanser, you should try the 3 step Skincare system by Clinique. If you're not willing to spend too much money, go step two which exfoliates your skin and gets rid of all the dead skin as well as Bactria and oil. I love it

I also have combination skin and I'm 34 years old.  I suggest trying two different products and see if one of these will work for you.  I like both.

CeraVe hydrating cleanser.  It's a creamy consistency similar to Cetaphil.  It does a great job cleansing without overdrying. I recommend using this with a Buff Puff or Clarisonic.

The other that I really like is Paula's Choice Hydralight cleanser.  It's a clear liquid and you may prefer it if you like a wash that foams.  I started to use it this summer and it's great, although I do wonder if I'll need to switch back to CeraVe in the winter so the dry parts of my face don't get over dry. 

I don't use a toner and I feel my skicare routine is great without it.

To help with breakouts and enlarged pores I would look into a BHA lotion or gel.  Paula's Choice has these.

Originally Posted by MakeupofDesire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have very similar skin to your's.  I'm also close to your age, 32 here.  I've been using Clinique's 3step system for 10+ years and I've never looked back!  My skin is goregous and I get a ton of compliments on it!  I would suggest you would be a number 2 in the 3 step system. 

The first step is the facial cleanser, then step 2 is an exfoliating toner, and step 3 is Dramtically Different Moisturizer.  It's the best!  I also use my clarisonic every other day.  I, too, have larger pores in my tzone area and get oiler there, too.  But with the combo of the 3 step system and the clarisonic, that is all disappearing on me.  I'm less oily and my pores appear smaller!  If you don't like the skin care system, you can always return it. Clinique has an awesome return policy.  They will make sure you are 100% satisfied! Give it a try, it can't hurt.
Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use Clinique's 3-step too. I got my starter kit for $32.50 and I've been trying it out and I've noticed immediate results. It's awesome! Honestly, I couldn't really go wrong for $32.50, and Sephora has a great return policy as well.
I've also used this since I was about 16-17 and I'm 32 now. I love it! Always have! I usually purchase online at either Sephora or Clinique online depending on who has the best deals on shipping and samples. You can take Clinique's quiz online to determine which formula is right for you. 

I have sensitive oily skin and I really like the Avene Micellar Lotion Cleansing and Make-Up Remover... it's a cleansing water you can easily apply with a cotton pad! It's not oily, it doesn't irritate the skin and you don't have to rinse afterwards!

I also really like the Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner! My skin feels great when I'm using those two products!

I have skin somewhat similar to yours in that it is combination. I have a moderately oily nose and chin, dry forehead (especially around my eyebrows), and my cheeks can be normal or dry. I tried a few different things and here is what I do now that seems to work quite well:

- I remove make-up with rice bran oil that I bought at my local health food store. Basically, I pour some in the palm of my hand and use my fingers to rub it onto each area of my face. Then I usually add a little more to my palm, rub both hands together, and then gently massage my face, especially over my lashes and eyes where there is waterproof or stubborn make-up. Then I use a warm or hot wash cloth to wipe it away.

- Sometimes I skip cleansing afterwards, but generally I use a homemade cleanser made from 1 tablespoon liquid castille soap (I use Dr. Bronner's baby mild), 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil, and 5 tablespoons of aloe vera juice (yes, juice, not gel, but I think gel would be okay as well). They sell all of these things at my local health food store, so yours probably does as well. Alternatively, I was using the Neutrogena Naturals cleanser before that and it seemed okay as well. Most of the time I put the cleanser on my face, then wet my Olay spinning facial brush thing (the Pro-X, I think), put a bit of cleanser on that, and run that over my face for about a minute, maybe two.

- Then, always while my face is still wet (if it has dried, I pat on some warm water), I apply my moisturizer and I think these are what has really helped normalize my skin. I use a DIY moisturizer made of about 3 tablespoons coconut oil and 1/2 teaspoon honey for the day time. I just touch it with my fingers and massage that bit in, then repeat until my face is done. If you slather it on like I used to do with my oil moisturizer you will end up oily, but if you do a bit at a time, especially on warm, wet skin it absorbs in completely after 10 to 15 minutes. At night, also on a warm wet face, I use a oil serum called TheraNeem Facial Oil Serum - Smoothing Therape. Basically it has several beneficial plant oils in it, so that or something similar should be okay. Again, I purchased that from my local health food store.

I do use scrubs, mainly homemade ones, but recently exclusively the Derma E sea salt microdermabrasion one. I use these in the shower, so not at the same time that I use my Olay brush.

My skin is quite improved. I do not get spots/pimples as much and when I do, they are smaller and go away faster. The dry flaky looking patches stay away from my eyebrows as long as I use my moisturizer. But the moisturizer does not make my oily areas worse like my store-bought ones did. And to be honest, some days I forget the whole thing. I always remember to remove make-up and cleanse if I was wearing make-up, but if not, I just kind of follow my face. If it feels extra dry, I pat on a bit of extra moisturizer. If it feels okay, I may just leave it alone that day. But there was a time when I did do all of it every day for quite a while and it worked probably even better then.

Anyway, that is what worked for me ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am having a mixed type of skin. Sometimes, my skin looks oily and the other time it become dry. I don't understand why it happens. I daily wash my face more that twice with a good cleanser and moisturize it with day cream as well as night cream and use 30 SPF sunscreen lotion. 

Okay, I got samples of the Paula's Choice Balancing line, and i've been using them all week and I am blown away! My skin has never been so clear, soft, and smooth. I'm sold...buying the whole regimen. (They sell samples of the regimen on their website, too, if you want to try it before buying the full sizes). Couldn't recommend them more highly!

Personally I love the glytone mild gel wash from OneRadiant.  I'm pretty sure it's the reason my skin no longer hate me 
wink.gif

Back