Who has the better rewards program? Ulta or Sephora?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Georgia and we have the ridiculous free gift per quarter - I usually wind up burning the reward, I rarely like anything they offer and this quarter they are actually rolling over part of what I spent to next quarter.  I love Sephora VIB Rouge - I get all sorts of invitations to events, there's the walk in and get a makeover and the bonus gifts are worlds better than what I get at Ulta.   With my Flash shipping at Sephora it's just easier to order online, and I get my products in 2 days.   
What do you mean by flash shipping? Sorry to ask if it's a dumb question. I only do b/c I am a VIB Rouge also and have not heard that term before. TIA! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ulta points??? Man, I got stuck with their rewards system, which I hate. I would much prefer a dollar-off system, maybe I can switch. In the meantime I've stuck with Sephora because their reward items tend to be a lot better suited for me than Ulta's selection. Plus, I think the Ulta rewards can only be used in-store and I only shop online. If I can switch to Ulta points I may have to change my loyalty...

Yeah, we have the rewards system here in Phoenix, too. I never redeem my reward as I never want anything. Last time I got the level 7 and still wanted nothing. I much prefer Sephora since I can usually find rewards I like.

I love Ulta rewards! I have almost $200 in rewards. I've been saving for about a year. I've taken advantage of 3x and 5x reward points, there was even a day with 10x reward points! I'm platinum so I always earn 1.25x points I don't really know what I'm saving up for, but I figure the points don't expire, so I'll wait for a rainy day and treat myself to a huge Ulta haul!

Ulta points??? Man, I got stuck with their rewards system, which I hate. I would much prefer a dollar-off system, maybe I can switch. In the meantime I've stuck with Sephora because their reward items tend to be a lot better suited for me than Ulta's selection. Plus, I think the Ulta rewards can only be used in-store and I only shop online. If I can switch to Ulta points I may have to change my loyalty...
I used to have Ulta's product program but the rewards do have to be redeemed in store. When we moved to a place where the closest Ulta is about 30 miles away (and is in another state -- the closest in state store is closer to 50 miles away), I was able to get them to switch me to the points system, since the store is so inconvenient. I usually only buy when there are bonus points and I've got $125 to spend stored up. I like Sephora's plan, but sometimes months will go by when I don't like any of the point perks. I have about 2k in points there right now since I don't use them often. Like at Ulta, I tend to "stock up" on products when there are bonus points. I'd say Ulta points is best, then Sephora, then the Ulta product plan. And the Ulta product plan is worthless if you don't have a store nearby. FWIW, an Ulta CSR told me last summer that they are planning to convert to the points plan everywhere in 2014.

Same here, I've been hoarding my VIB points and nothing good has come up in what feels like forever. BUT I just contacted Ulta's customer service and they were able to switch me to the Rewards system! They even converted my old points from a purchase last month into the rewards points, so I'm on my way to getting some discounts. If anyone else is sick of the "Club at Ulta" system, get in touch with them and see if they can switch you!

Sephora, but it's because I'm a "free gift with purchase" girl and not a "$ discount" girl. But only talking about online where you also get better promo codes usually IMO and samples. I way prefer the more relaxed, friendly and less snobby atmosphere of Ulta when I shop in-store. Sephora is awful despite me spending about $2000 this year.

I have a different take on this:  Ulta is barely on my radar.  I go there a few times a month to see if there's anything there I really want and to swatch things that I can't get in my physical Sephora, but I can't remember the last time I bought anything there.  I don't know whether my stores are on the gift or discount program, and I'm not really sure I care.  I know they used to be on the tiered rewards system, and they never had anything I wanted (ballerina pink nail polish?  The only ballerina pink *anything* I will wear is eyeshadow, and even then, it must be shimmery).  If I want a drugstore item, I go to Fred Meyer.  Freddy's is cheaper (right now, they have a buy-one-get-one-50%-off deal on pretty much *everything*), and they're much more convenient (it's my primary grocery store, so I'm in there at least once a week).  And I tend to gravitate towards LE stuff when it comes to lower-end brands, and Ulta just doesn't have the same variety of those as Fred Meyer does.  I get my higher-end items at Sephora, and I'm a points hoarder because they have had some fantastic perks.

This brings me to another issue:  As a points hoarder, I don't like it when things expire.  I get a better return on dollars with Birchbox than I do at Ulta, and I do tend to sit on my points over there, but they *do* expire.  But I basically get 10% back in dollars spent, plus I get all of those points for feedback on my monthly subscription boxes, and then they will have promotions for more points, a discount, or a GWP.  I might not get all of the *stuff* that I can get at Ulta with their GWPs, but I'm a picky picky princess, and Ulta's GWPs tend to have not one single thing I'm interested in trying, and I already have so much *stuff* that I have no business buying *anything* to begin with, so I don't feel a tinge of regret when I pass on the Ulta GWPs.  Sephora's GWP bags *do* tend to have at least one thing I want to try, so I go ahead and get those because I know my coworkers are beauty product locusts who will take any leftovers I don't want, but I want to get at least *one* sample out of a batch for *me*.

Short version:  Sephora, Birchbox, and Fred Meyer for me.  There may be some things I will end up getting at Ulta simply because none of my standard stores will have it (I'm currently lusting over NYX cream blushes, primarily in stick form, and Ulta seems to be the only store in town that carries them, but I'm dragging my feet on buying them for a variety of reasons), but those are few and far between.

Quote: Originally Posted by ohsailor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Sephora, but it's because I'm a "free gift with purchase" girl and not a "$ discount" girl. But only talking about online where you also get better promo codes usually IMO and samples. I way prefer the more relaxed, friendly and less snobby atmosphere of Ulta when I shop in-store. Sephora is awful despite me spending about $2000 this year.
I agree about the attitude! Why are they so judgemental? It's even worse when I walk in without makeup on. Just because I'm not wearing makeup doesn't mean I don't understand it and won't buy any.

Quote: Originally Posted by ohsailor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the opposite in my area. The Sephora employees always greet me, no matter what. The ULTA cashier by the door greets me as they do with everyone who walks in, but the floor associates ignore me unless I actually pick something up in the prestige section or unless I have a full face of makeup. I am a makeup addict big time, but that doesn't mean that I wear it all every day. And while I wear cheap clothes, I do wear expensive makeup and use expensive skincare (almost always purchased with sale and/or coupon, but still...)

I am a fan of the $3.50 off $10.00 coupons I always get from ULTA, and they tend to have better clearance items than the Sephora near me. So I prefer Sephora for customer service, atmosphere, testers, and selection, but my wallet prefers ULTA.

As far as the perks/rewards, I would have to give it to ULTA, because I prefer a $discount over a GWP. Sephora does tend to have great perks items, but I would rather save money on something I'm choosing rather than a small selection chosen for me.

I could also be biased in favor of Ulta because I don't have a sephora anywhere near me and ulta is right down the road.

Down here in Florida the ULTA rewards syst stinks too. No points. Just quarterly rewards. And those are usually lackluster. I only end up shopping there if there are exclusive sets I want or when they have their 20% off entire purchase coupons. I prefer Sephora's program better. And now I'm upset to find out ULTA offers a different rewards program in different states. That really stinks. Now I'll probably shop there even less.

Quote: Originally Posted by girlythingsbye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Down here in Florida the ULTA rewards syst stinks too. No points. Just quarterly rewards. And those are usually lackluster. I only end up shopping there if there are exclusive sets I want or when they have their 20% off entire purchase coupons. I prefer Sephora's program better. And now I'm upset to find out ULTA offers a different rewards program in different states. That really stinks. Now I'll probably shop there even less.
What's really bizarre is that my mom lives in the Orlando area, and she has the point system!

It all depends on what you like. I used to get my hair done at Ulta, so whatever I spent in the salon counted towards my level of reward. This reward certificate was sad compared to past ones. I was able to get perfume before (it said up to $40 i think, and then I just paid the difference). If nothing else, the first level is good for a package of cotton rounds and I always have a use for those. I do feel like the samples/point perks are better at Sephora. *shrug*. Lately, the service at Ulta has been amazing but the stores near me are often kind of a wreck adn out of certain products for months on end.

Definitely agreed on Ulta being weirdly out of stock.  I have promised myself that I can buy Butter London's No More Waity Katie, but everytime I've gone in (since AUGUST) they're out!  

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Definitely agreed on Ulta being weirdly out of stock.  I have promised myself that I can buy Butter London's No More Waity Katie, but everytime I've gone in (since AUGUST) they're out!

I think that shade may have been discontinued.  It's on BL's sale page.

Quote: Originally Posted by girlythingsbye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's exactly how I felt, but I just emailed customer service and they were able to switch me! It's worth getting in touch with them if you plan on buying anything soon.

I prefer Sephora. I have had too many issues with Ulta because not all of the stores are on the same rewards program, although I have heard this is supposed to change next year. I do keep an eye on their ads because sometimes they have excellent drugstore brand sales.  As others have said, I prefer Sephora because I like to get free samples with my purchases instead of a couple dollars off.  I usually shop online and have had good and bad experiences at both brands' stores...so if you're going to shop in person maybe go to both stores and see which you get a better vibe and experience from.

Quote: Originally Posted by kaitlin1209 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I prefer Sephora. I have had too many issues with Ulta because not all of the stores are on the same rewards program, although I have heard this is supposed to change next year. I do keep an eye on their ads because sometimes they have excellent drugstore brand sales.  As others have said, I prefer Sephora because I like to get free samples with my purchases instead of a couple dollars off.  I usually shop online and have had good and bad experiences at both brands' stores...so if you're going to shop in person maybe go to both stores and see which you get a better vibe and experience from.
I totally agree with this.  I have had both awesome and horrible service at Ulta, depending on which store.  When the store closest to me opened this year, I had one cashier who was rude and unhelpful, but the store manager came over and she rocked!  The cashier has since been let go, and 99% of the time the ladies that work at "my" store are awesome.  Now, the store across town, every time I go there they are unhelpful and seemed annoyed if I ask for help.  

Sephora isn't anywhere close to me.  The only one that is remotely in my area, is a Sephora inside a JCPenny, I refuse to shop at JCPenny, so I won't go to the Sephora there.    

Like the OP, I only got back into makeup/skincare ~6 months ago. I focused much of my purchasing at Sephora and quickly became VIB and now almost rogue (yikes!). I wasn't as into Ulta because the points system seemed confusing and they didn't have all the brands I wanted.

But next year I think I'm going to more evenly divide my purchases between each so I get VIB at Sephora and platinum at Ulta (they both require $350 right?), instead of almost rogue at Sephora. I think each program and store has different benefits. Mostly, I realized that a lot of the random little stuff I pick up at Target/drugstores (all my hair products are drugstore, most nail polishes, supplies, etc.), I can get at Ulta instead and be earning points and have it shipped directly here. Plus, the GWP are nice and prestige brands seem to more randomly go on sale. But I still will shop at Sephora given my favorite skincare line is only there and that they occasionally run really nice promos for sample bags. 

So that all being said...I know where the Sephora codes/discussion thread is...where's the Ulta?! 
biggrin.gif

Back