Why All The Hate For Beauty Youtubers?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess there will always be haters whenever anyone is successful at something.

As far as the FTC thing, I'm pretty sure you don't need any sort of disclaimer if you actually bought the products are aren't being paid to review them.

I watch make-up videos that get right to the point. I stopped watching a certain "guru's" tutorials when I realized that all of her videos begin with 2 minutes PLUS of babble jabble and bs. Flipping your hair, playing with your necklace, janggling your bracelets. Ay dios mio! No!!! I watched HOURS of YT tut's some great and some for the lol's. I feel like I watched everything I needed to watch before the tutorial world got saturated. I know that last sentence might seem craycray to some of y'all, but I kind of feel like it's true. Not bashing on any new talented people who are sharing their tuts, but like you said....let's keep it about the makeup.

I don't really understand the hate either, i guess some people have enough spare time to act *****y about a makeup tutorial.

I could care less about products they get for free, but i appreciate when they indicate the products they received for reviews.

I like makeup tutorials for entertainment, inspiration and tips, and i've found great help. But, honestly, i've also found some more helpful than others, and i guess i've grown in the process, so now i'm more of a lurker than a subscriber.

This blog wouldn't happen to be about allthatglitters21 and juicystar06 would it? Because there are some vicious, nasty blogs floating around the web about those two. They supposedly lost a lot of fans for concealing personal information about themselves.. as if they aren't entitled to their privacy.

Yes it is about those two. The upset with them is more than them hiding their identities.

Yeah, I've heard they also supposedly threatened their fans, but really.. the only evidence I've seen from that is some screenshot provided in that blog, and it could have easily been doctored.

Originally Posted by sooperficial /img/forum/go_quote.gif I watch make-up videos that get right to the point. I stopped watching a certain "guru's" tutorials when I realized that all of her videos begin with 2 minutes PLUS of babble jabble and bs. Flipping your hair, playing with your necklace, janggling your bracelets. Ay dios mio! No!!! I watched HOURS of YT tut's some great and some for the lol's. I feel like I watched everything I needed to watch before the tutorial world got saturated. I know that last sentence might seem craycray to some of y'all, but I kind of feel like it's true. Not bashing on any new talented people who are sharing their tuts, but like you said....let's keep it about the makeup. I totally agree with this. There are gurus that are more helpful than others, and I know a lot of people who hate on gurus. I'm surprised there's no michelle phan bashing on either of those blogs. I know a lot of people who started disliking her after she advertised her skin care line in all of her vids. I watch these videos mainly for entertainment or reviews/advice. If you don't like it, just don't watch it.

Yeah alot of people dont like Michele Phan. lol

I dont like ALL of the makeup up gurus but my comments are more towards those people who make blogs and leave these people negative comments. I think those people are sad.

^ yeah exactly. I admit that blog looks well done, but seriously, why put so much effort into all that research towards people you hate? Just ignore them!

exactly, thats what i said. if you dont like them or what they are doing in their tutorials, dont watch them! no one is forcing those people to watch them, they do it so they can find things to make a big deal of. pathetic. if i dont like a guru, i just dont bother watching their videos! i dont go through all of them, constantly think about how much i dislike them, then create a blog about it. i dont think the whole "identity" ordeal would have been such a big deal if people didn't blow it out of proprtion to be honest. there is a way they can just clear it up.. i mean every one knows about their real names, just come out and be like "okay, yeah so what? i changed my name to blair/elle for privacy. big deal. the end" nothing any one has said on some blog has changed how i feel about the beauty gurus. i still dont like the ones i didn't like before, and i still enjoy watching the same people i watched before. haha

First off, I have to totally agree with SHAYY, your totally right girl. Noone forces you to do anything, the answer to the question, "why all the haters for youtubers"? is easy,i bet you half the people that hate are just that bored and that immature and probably wouldnt have the guts to talk to someone like that in person. The other half are probably ppl that have low self esteem so it makes them feel better to spend time talking crap to people they dont know, thats my theory anyway. I just started watching the tutorials on youtube about a year ago, and I have to say ive learned a lot. Just like you guys said, yea, their are some that we like more than others but you dont see us going on their pages and writing rude things. I know which girls your talking about and this is the first im hearing about all these rumors. Those girls might not be my favorite gurus, but I seriously doubt their threathinig their fans, lol..they probably couldnt kill a fly. Theres a few that I subscribed too and those are the only ones I usually watch, bc they do know what there talking about and as far as them getting free beauty products, it never even crossed my mind until now. That just shows you how much I could care less what they get or not, thats not why I watch them. Good topic btw!!!!

I honestly love the make up tutorials on youtube, i use some of the styles i see off here but change things to make it more unique to how i want it on me. i have a habit of looking at the comments and i hate to see how people are so rude and slam them, yes their are some "ugly" women but telling them they are wont help their self esteem it just wants to make them cake on a gallon more make up which doesnt help, everyone looks a certain way for a reason and ive had my share of being called ugly and i wouldnt do tutorials even though it would be fun in my opinoin. and theres always someone out there who thinks those women are pretty, and who cares if they get free make up. they go though some tough judging from rude people.

Originally Posted by kellabella /img/forum/go_quote.gif First off, I have to totally agree with SHAYY, your totally right girl. Noone forces you to do anything, the answer to the question, "why all the haters for youtubers"? is easy,i bet you half the people that hate are just that bored and that immature and probably wouldnt have the guts to talk to someone like that in person. The other half are probably ppl that have low self esteem so it makes them feel better to spend time talking crap to people they dont know, thats my theory anyway. I just started watching the tutorials on youtube about a year ago, and I have to say ive learned a lot. Just like you guys said, yea, their are some that we like more than others but you dont see us going on their pages and writing rude things. I know which girls your talking about and this is the first im hearing about all these rumors. Those girls might not be my favorite gurus, but I seriously doubt their threathinig their fans, lol..they probably couldnt kill a fly. Theres a few that I subscribed too and those are the only ones I usually watch, bc they do know what there talking about and as far as them getting free beauty products, it never even crossed my mind until now. That just shows you how much I could care less what they get or not, thats not why I watch them. Good topic btw!!!! Ahhh that's better. Now I can read it.
biggrin.gif

im going to start makeing utube videos but not even for free stuff you kno sometimes people dont have stuff to do so we do videos lol n plus who doesnt like shareing their make up secrets or opinions lol

Originally Posted by akira53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I totally agree with this. There are gurus that are more helpful than others, and I know a lot of people who hate on gurus. I'm surprised there's no michelle phan bashing on either of those blogs. I know a lot of people who started disliking her after she advertised her skin care line in all of her vids. I watch these videos mainly for entertainment or reviews/advice. If you don't like it, just don't watch it. I've never found an anti-Michelle Phan blog, but I did stumble upon a video I guy made about her. It was the most ridiculous thing ever. He basically preached for ten minutes about how Michelle Phan is whoring herself to the public by making tutorials and how she shouldn't do these videos because she's attracting pedophiles blah blah blah. I guess every girl on the face of this planet should live in fear and stay in their homes where they are safe from perverts. Please. The clincher of this all is, if you look on this creep's page, all he has is half naked underage asian girls everywhere. It's so disgusting. The hypocrisy of it all just kills me.

ewww!!!!! that gives me the chills, reading about that creepo that made all those comments about the youtube guru, michelle chang and then come to find out he has pics of young asian girls? ughh!!! can we say I've actually never seen her on youtube, but i think im gonna go watch one of her videos.

Since we're on the subject of youtube gurus, I wanted to know who everyone has subscribed to. Maybe we can all find new gurus to learn from for all us non haters out there! LOL

I think ive subscribed to ten, but here are my fav top 5

1.* Emilynoel83- she's really good at explaining everything in detail. Its so easy to copy any of her looks, bc she goes over every detail. Plus, she def knows what she's talking about. She uses a combo of high end cosmetics like mac and low end cosmetics like revlon.

2. kandeejohnson- i have to admit, her over the top upbeat personality can be a little too much for me sometimes, but besides that she's super talented and i love getting tips from her

3. MakeupGeekTv's marlena- she's awseome

4. Tempalia- if you want review's or tutuorials on Mac cosmetics, check her out. She also does very thorough tutorials and explains everything to a tee

5. MakeupByTiffanyD- she's very cool and has a lot of knowledge to spread around.

So i guess those were my top 5, since there are so many of you that follow youtube gurus, i would love to know everyone's favs.

I say let them do their thing! I, myself, as an up and coming makeup artist met some greats ladies on You Tube. I got advice that was so valuable. They never act too good they are someone you can actually talk to and they will help you as much as possible. Actually, after talking to Kandee Johnson, is when I decided to go to school.

Back