Why MAC?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:  <snip> I've been ignored, sneered at, and told to my face that I can't afford something, because apparently "over 40 and plus-sized" violates corporate policies co-written by that jerk who runs Abercrombie and Fitch. My husband, a traditional turbaned Sikh, has received even worse treatment not only in men's stores, but just walking past certain places--we almost sued Victoria's Secret several years ago, after two clerks standing a opulent of yards from me (I was inside, he stopped for some tea and was heading to another store) were heard talking about him blowing up buildings.

I get ya.

IMO, the most dangerous combination of personality traits is arrogance + ignorance. Arrogance, because you think you know everything and so never question whther your beliefs are based in fact, and ignorance because you don't acknowledge all you don't know. Not to go off on a political tangent, but THAT is what is making our world such a dangerous place to live.

Quote:  <snip> That being said the counter is not my friend, I've been using mac for 18 years and I know what I want, but often find the staff have attitude. The fact is they have an item of the day that they have to sell. If you don't look like you'd use/wear that they often will overlook you. <snip>

Also if you need help I find the men to be well versed in the products and way more helpful! Try it you'll like it
icon_cheesygrin.gif
 <snip>

I agree! It's funny, but I always get better service from (especially gay) men, both at salons and cosmetics counters and stores.....I wonder why that is?

Quote: The general attitude of their customer base is the hugest reason I don't buy there. I don't get why anybody thinks that just because they buy/sell/like/wear something it makes them better than anyone else! <snip>

I've noticed this alot, especially with MAC's younger customer base (mid to late teens) when posting online. Much of what I've read indicates to me it's not so much about the quality of MAC makeup per se, but that owning it and using it has become a status symbol among many in this age group. Like if you use MAC, you're in the clique! If you don't, well, you're just not in the cool group....

Quote:  Foundations, Foundations, Foundations the variety is awesome. You will find a color/formula that matches you, impossible not too.

Quote: The only product I'm not crazy about is their foundations, the color range is brilliant but I bought better foundations, not necessarily cheaper foundations, just better foundations for my liking.

LOL! Foundations are one of rare items I buy and don't take into account reviews or personal recommendations. The reason is that there are just far too many variables to make any review/recommendation useful.

Skin tone. Skin type. Climate. The types of products (and their individual formulas) applied under AND over the foundation. How the foundation is applied (fingers, or sponge, brush, etc - not to mention, how often that tool is thoroughly cleaned). Also, personal expectations....

I've seen people give a bad review for BB creams just because they didn't provide full coverage (????? It's a BB cream!!).  I've also seen people give bad reviews for foundations marketed as "full coverage" for ....giving too much covergage and appearing "mask-like."

But, I wouldn't mind dropping by a MAC counter and finding out what my MAC foundation color number is.

Does MAC ever give samples of their foundations??

Quote: Hate their limited edition collections, even if I'm gonna buy a limited edition product, the fact that I'm not gonna be able to keep using it really gets on my nerves, in fact I end up always looking into permanent stuff.

When they release a LE Collection, are both the product AND the packaging LE? Or, is it just the packaging? Do they sometimes release a specific shade of lipstick, for example, as LE (shade & packaging), and then later re-release the shade in different packaging (as a repromote)?

I would be quite annoyed if I bought something and really like the shade & formula, and then couldn't replace it if I used it up!

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by TwirlyGirly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I've heard fabulous things about their brushes! There are two brushes I definitely want; the 217 and 239. Although according to several blogs I've read, the 217 dupe sold by Coastal Scents is as good as the MAC. I have several of the Coastal Scents version and I love them, but never having used the MAC 217 *I* can't say it's a dupe.
i don't have coastal scents, but i have this crown brush c433 (from a Hautelook bag) that's supposedly a dupe for MAC...the shapes are similar, but crown brush is definitely scratchier than MAC. i wonder if that's the case with coastal scents? i'm just speculating..

MAC 239 is a must have! MAC 217 is good, but found it a little too big for me, so i got smaller blending brushes from Hakuhodo. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> definitely get MAC 239 though. i have 2 right now, and planning to buy a couple more. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i also like MAC Blot powder. i think it's very effective.

i don't have a lot of MAC products because i'm not really religious to one brand, and only buy the supposedly best products from them. i research a lot, and try them in store :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I have the coastal scents 217 dupe (I brought two last Black Friday) and I don't like them. It's an okay brush for blending, but it's not as great as I would like. It's scratchy and doesn't pick up and apply color well IMO. I'm very picky about brushes though. I just brought the MAC 217 and 224 from Nordstrom. Now I really want a MAC 239 brush...

I like MAC because of their color selection. They cater to a wider variety of skintones than some other brands. I own a few of their lip products. Their cremesheen lip glasses aren't worth the money but I like their retro matte lipsticks. Their Mineralize Skinfinish powders make large pores stand out but I usually use a pore filler first.

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have the coastal scents 217 dupe (I brought two last Black Friday) and I don't like them. It's an okay brush for blending, but it's not as great as I would like. It's scratchy and doesn't pick up and apply color well IMO. I'm very picky about brushes though. I just brought the MAC 217 and 224 from Nordstrom. Now I really want a MAC 239 brush...

I like MAC because of their color selection. They cater to a wider variety of skintones than some other brands. I own a few of their lip products. Their cremesheen lip glasses aren't worth the money but I like their retro matte lipsticks. Their Mineralize Skinfinish powders make large pores stand out but I usually use a pore filler first.
doooo iiiiit!!! i couldn't recommend it more. if i can only keep one eye brush in my life, that's what i'd pick!

Quote:
When they release a LE Collection, are both the product AND the packaging LE? Or, is it just the packaging? Do they sometimes release a specific shade of lipstick, for example, as LE (shade & packaging), and then later re-release the shade in different packaging (as a repromote)?

I would be quite annoyed if I bought something and really like the shade & formula, and then couldn't replace it if I used it up!

It may happen that they release again a product that was in a previous LE collection, and rarely can make some of them permanent, but that casually DOESN'T happen with LE products I died for reading reviews about
icon_mad.gif
I've missed so many products I would have really loved to own.

Anyway you may also find similar products between LE collections. (but again, I must be unlucky, but I am still waiting to see replicas of the products I've wanted!!)

So you could definitely use up a LE product and not be able to buy a new one.

Quote: Originally Posted by TwirlyGirly /img/forum/go_quote.gif  

I've only been into MAC for a few months but usually the product and the packaging are LE. For example, I brought RiRi Woo from the Rihanna fall collection. It's currently sold out. Well, RiRi Woo is no longer available in regular or LE packaing because it was a part of the LE collection (that sold out ridiculously fast).

Sometimes they re-release a shade. Honestly, LE stuff doesn't bother me. I have no problem using LE items on the daily basis. If I REALLY love something, I might buy a back up. And what I like changes often. I just hate it when MAC sells out of their LE collections in an hour.

Quote: Originally Posted by ItalianDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
It may happen that they release again a product that was in a previous LE collection, and rarely can make some of them permanent, but that casually DOESN'T happen with LE products I died for reading reviews about
icon_mad.gif
I've missed so many products I would have really loved to own.

Anyway you may also find similar products between LE collections. (but again, I must be unlucky, but I am still waiting to see replicas of the products I've wanted!!)

So you could definitely use up a LE product and not be able to buy a new one.

THIS!!!! I LOVE Wonder Woman and Marilyn Monroe...but those collections came out before I was remotely interested in makeup.

THIS!!!! I LOVE Wonder Woman and Marilyn Monroe...but those collections came out before I was remotely interested in makeup.

welcome to the club!! ALL the products I've missed have ALL been released when I didn't even know what MAC was...

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
doooo iiiiit!!! i couldn't recommend it more. if i can only keep one eye brush in my life, that's what i'd pick!

Enabler! I'll do it!

Enabler! I'll do it!
*evil laughs* lol you won't regret it! 
wink.gif

I'm not a huge MAC fan, and won't go out of my way to go to one of their stores, but if I'm right next to one I'll usually go in and buy a few things if they catch my eye. The products aren't bad, but they're not the best either. Customer service is always hit or miss (no matter how you look), I either get awesome help or no help, and if I have to wait longer than 4 minutes for someone to ring me up, I'll just put the product back and leave. I will say over the years they have gotten worse, back in the day I used to love their products, their people, their limited collections that actually felt limited and artistic, and quality, but then Estee bought them and don't even get me started on that haha.

I've never owned or used MAC. And now that there's testing on animals to sell in China, I really don't intend to. I think it's just become too much of a status symbol. I'm in school, and some girls think your no body unless you whip out a Mac lipglass to touch up in class :icon_frown: I don't know,I just think I couldn't be bothered by them. I think there's better and more edgy brands with better price points, products and/or business practices. I have nothing against people who use it, but I really couldn't care less lol.

I do not go to the counter when I buy Mac products.  I just don't find the staff personable, helpful, or friendly.  They all act like their too good for anybody that comes in there and just want you to spend as much money as possible.  Personally, I love every single Mac product I own.  I cannot live without the pro longwear concealer (it's my HG) .. I think their eyeshadows are amazing and super easy to blend.  Their paint pot in painterly is the only thing I've found so far to completely cover my purpley eyelids - blends like a dream and I've never had any creasing issues.  I only own one lipstick in Snob which I find to be SUPER drying but I love the color nonetheless.  I'm definitely looking forward to placing my next Mac order.. for the quality I think their prices are very fair!

I've only been buying Mac for a few months, I really like their lipsticks and worshipped. The quality is great, and the price is cheaper than slot of the higher end products that I buy. Im not a huge fan of their brushes though, because when the Mac mua was doing my makeup the brush hairs kept braking off and sticking to my face. My experience at a Mac counter was at Macys they were horrible, unprofessional and lazy. However when I went to Nordstrom the service at the Mac Counter was fabulous. Im 39, my age did not seen to affect the service at Nordstrom, but it did at Macys.

Quote: Originally Posted by Shellmotz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've only been buying Mac for a few months, I really like their lipsticks and worshipped. The quality is great, and the price is cheaper than slot of the higher end products that I buy. Im not a huge fan of their brushes though, because when the Mac mua was doing my makeup the brush hairs kept braking off and sticking to my face. My experience at a Mac counter was at Macys they were horrible, unprofessional and lazy. However when I went to Nordstrom the service at the Mac Counter was fabulous. Im 39, my age did not seen to affect the service at Nordstrom, but it did at Macys.
the face brushes are not good, i think. the eye brushes are great, but the face brushes (the ones i tried) shed and are a bit scratchy.

I really like this topic!

I feel the same way about MAC; I gave them a few chances which they all bombed. The last time The MUA who helped me picked out a lipstick sent it to the counter and bagged it. I come to find out later they put a lip gloss instead of the lipstick I wanted in my bag.   

Yes it was my fault for not checking but I really did not expect that to happen. I trusted the staff. I went to the store the next day and when I nicely explained the situation to the staff so that I could pick up the correct lipstick even before I finished the story, the male cashier said NOPE! WE DON’T DO RETURNS HERE AT MAC!

I was SO embarrassed and vowed never to walk into purchase MAC again…

Quote: Originally Posted by yummyflavour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I really like this topic!

I feel the same way about MAC; I gave them a few chances which they all bombed. The last time The MUA who helped me picked out a lipstick sent it to the counter and bagged it. I come to find out later they put a lip gloss instead of the lipstick I wanted in my bag.   

Yes it was my fault for not checking but I really did not expect that to happen. I trusted the staff. I went to the store the next day and when I nicely explained the situation to the staff so that I could pick up the correct lipstick even before I finished the story, the male cashier said NOPE! WE DON’T DO RETURNS HERE AT MAC!

I was SO embarrassed and vowed never to walk into purchase MAC again…
No that's incorrect, mac will do returns and happily. Go to the counter and get the counter manager! The staff member should be fired for that!

Yeah they should definitely be reprimanded, I would have made a stink, but then again I've been working in retail a long time, I know the rules.

I only purchase MAC from my local CCO, however... they just repromoted the satin blush in "Modern Mandarin," which I will absolutely repurchase forever and ever amen.  If you want some glowy, peachy, delicious, slight-sunburned cheeks, I highly recommend this one!

Quote: Originally Posted by coffeecardigan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I only purchase MAC from my local CCO, however... they just repromoted the satin blush in "Modern Mandarin," which I will absolutely repurchase forever and ever amen.  If you want some glowy, peachy, delicious, slight-sunburned cheeks, I highly recommend this one!
Now that's a recommendation, off to mac.com to look at it! Thanks 
wink.gif

Back