Jump to content


Welcome to the new and improved MakeupTalk! Please see our announcement here!

Sponsors


Photo

What's a good Inexpensive Eye Primer?


  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 tismama

tismama

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

I've been experimenting with eye shadows a lot more now, and I'm finding that I need something to make my shadow apply smoother and stay put longer.  I don't want to pay a lot for a primer like the Urban Decay Primer Potion that everyone raves about.  Any suggestions of a primer that I can find at like Walmart or a drugstore? 



#2 DropsofKarma

DropsofKarma

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

I've heard both Hard Candy and Elf have decent eye primers. Comparable to UD's primer potion.  



#3 zadidoll

zadidoll
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Inexpensive? There are lots.

 

Monistat Anti-chafing gel is pretty much the same as makeup primers.

ELF makes a good one for $3.

Hard Candy & NYX both make a few comparable to Smashbox/MAC.

 

All are under $10 except NYX which is like $12.



#4 MakeupofDesire

MakeupofDesire

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

In my opinion, go for the ELF Mineral Eye Primer.  It's only $3 and is very close to UDPP!  It's totally a dupe for UDPP, really.  ELF is always running sales, so you could even get it for less than $3, depending on the sale, of course.  Right now, you get 7 free Studio line brushes for spending $30 or more, which is easy to do, and you get a lot of products!  I also have the monistat anti chaffing gel and the NYX base in pearl and white and still think the best d/s priced e/s primer is the ELF Studio Eye Primer. The ELF $1 line eye primer isn't bad either, but go for the $3 one since you can pick. Good luck! The UDPP is definitely worth investing in.  Especially with the new packaging!


Bring the best to your vanity! Click here to visit our site.

#5 angels41105

angels41105

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

L.A Splash Sealant/ Primer.... I like it better than urban decay ( and i'm a UD junkie so that says alot)



#6 Annelle

Annelle

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

Honestly, I went through trying a bunch while trying to avoid the UDPP.  I haven't looked back once I gave in and bought myself a bottle though. (Tried coastal scents, aromaleigh, a couple random drug store ones...then I realized I had spent MORE money on testing a bunch of cheap primers and being unhappy than I would have buying my first bottle of UDPP)

 

The new squeeze tube should make it easier to use all of the product too, instead of all the techniques that were used in the past to try to claw out all the rest of the tube hidden inside the old bottles.


omg a line --^

#7 MakeupByMe

MakeupByMe

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

Ive tried Many eye primers & all the hype products Stil Nothing beats   Loreal De-crease        Cheap, & leaves your shadow looking great & long lasting without creasing



#8 tismama

tismama

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:43 AM

My local target carries ELF so I'll see if I can find the ELF one. I tried a sample of the Urban Decay PP & I really like it ALOT.  Maybe when I have some extra $$, I'll splurge and get the UDPP. thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll see what I can find if I can find any of those products when I'm at Walmart & Target this weekend. 



#9 divadoll

divadoll

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:01 AM


ELF gets my vote too.

Originally Posted by MakeupofDesire View Post

In my opinion, go for the ELF Mineral Eye Primer.  It's only $3 and is very close to UDPP!  It's totally a dupe for UDPP, really.  ELF is always running sales, so you could even get it for less than $3, depending on the sale, of course.  Right now, you get 7 free Studio line brushes for spending $30 or more, which is easy to do, and you get a lot of products!  I also have the monistat anti chaffing gel and the NYX base in pearl and white and still think the best d/s priced e/s primer is the ELF Studio Eye Primer. The ELF $1 line eye primer isn't bad either, but go for the $3 one since you can pick. Good luck! The UDPP is definitely worth investing in.  Especially with the new packaging!



 


An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

#10 Lysette

Lysette

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

European gals might also check out Manhattan's cheapo eyeshadow primer - works well for me.

 

 



#11 Sarah Afshar

Sarah Afshar

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

Check out my article - Best Eyeshadow Primers For Under $10



#12 diyakhandelwal

diyakhandelwal

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

I found Jordana Cosmetics Eye Primer is inexpensive. I love it

 

*edited by mod*



#13 SassyAuburn

SassyAuburn

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

I am actually in search of a good primer myself. Most of my eyeshadows are glittery and shimmery and although they look great the first out, they definitely loose their "oomph" in less than a few hours.

 

I've used MAC eye paints which works OK but not great.

UDPP never seemed to hold the heavy glitter products at all

I think Mary Kay's does a decent job compare to what I've used, but still doesn't give 100%

 

I don't live near an ELF store so that option is out. I may try the Hard Candy if people like it.  It's good for strong glitter shadows??

 

Any other suggestions????


I'm a fun, fresh, fierce makeup junkie by day
and glamour blogger by night!
Follow me here and also at: www.sassyauburn.wordpress.com

#14 DreamWarrior

DreamWarrior

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

I like the Smashbox eye primer - I was very happy with the results.



#15 MakeupofDesire

MakeupofDesire

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:40 PM



Originally Posted by SassyAuburn View Post

I am actually in search of a good primer myself. Most of my eyeshadows are glittery and shimmery and although they look great the first out, they definitely loose their "oomph" in less than a few hours.

 

I've used MAC eye paints which works OK but not great.

UDPP never seemed to hold the heavy glitter products at all

I think Mary Kay's does a decent job compare to what I've used, but still doesn't give 100%

 

I don't live near an ELF store so that option is out. I may try the Hard Candy if people like it.  It's good for strong glitter shadows??

 

Any other suggestions????


Ordering from ELF is pretty inexpensive and you would get a great product.  As for the glitter question...Too Faced carries a Too Faced Shadow Insurance for glitter and glitter shadows.  I own it, but haven't tried it yet.  I imagine it's probably stickier than the other products to help adhere the glitter to the lid.  Other things you can try with glitter is to use Duo Adhesive on a q tip and spread it over your lid in a light layer and apply the glitter/glitter shadow on top of that.  That's been in a few tuturials on YouTube as well.
 

 


Bring the best to your vanity! Click here to visit our site.

#16 satojoko

satojoko

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

@ Sarah Afshar : I read your write up on primers and found it helpful as they weren't all ones I had come across before. Will be trying some of those out. Thanks for posting the link :-)

 

I personally detest silicone primers for use ON the lid, although they work great UNDER the eye to prevent concealer from caking and creasing. If I use a silicone type on my lid, it actually makes my shadows crease, every single time. I normally apply my concealer and then use Coastal Scents Camo Quad on my lid, the texture of which reminds me of MAC's prep and Prime for eyes, which I used to use. I then put a bit of a more sticky one over top of that which I got a couple of years ago from some mineral makeup company which I can't remember the name of, then shadow overtop. My shadows never crease. When I have less time, I just use the Camo Quad, which has 4 colors so is great for making shadows have different color depths. It never creases either, even in the summer. I have oily skin, but still find they both work with no problems at all. I have Smashbox's primer and seriously don't like it at all. Doesn't work for me and is seriously overpriced. Haven't tried Hard Candy primer as I don't like their other products.


Check out my stuff for sale or trade, as well as my free shipping deals with minimum purchase. Ads have been newly edited as some prices have dropped & some products have been sold or returned for credit.

#17 Its Only Nicole

Its Only Nicole

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:45 PM



Tis I agree w/this.. I absolutely LOVE Loreal Decrease and it lasts..... forever too.

Originally Posted by MakeupByMe View Post

Ive tried Many eye primers & all the hype products Stil Nothing beats   Loreal De-crease        Cheap, & leaves your shadow looking great & long lasting without creasing



 



#18 SassyAuburn

SassyAuburn

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:08 PM



Originally Posted by Its Only Nicole View Post



Tis I agree w/this.. I absolutely LOVE Loreal Decrease and it lasts..... forever too.



 


Do you find it holds glitter/sparkle shadows good? It has gotten good reviews, the only drawback is someone said it's not really "skin toned". Agree?

 


I'm a fun, fresh, fierce makeup junkie by day
and glamour blogger by night!
Follow me here and also at: www.sassyauburn.wordpress.com

#19 Its Only Nicole

Its Only Nicole

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

I don't wear a lot of sparkle/glitter products, but I do wear shimmer and it hold it quite well.  Now as for the color of the primer... of it not being "skin-toned"  my skin tone of my eye area is one of the darkest places on my body for some reason.. and extremely oily.  So I use primer, plus a base, usually NYX JEP in Milk.. and it keeps it quite well.  It actually lightens it tbh.



#20 DonnasDollhouse

DonnasDollhouse

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:53 AM

I have not tried e.l.f. Cosmetics eye primer, but they have pretty solid products for the price.  You are right they always have great sales!






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users