What's a good Inexpensive Eye Primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I third Control Freak. It's not super expensive at about $11 a container but it will last a very long time as a little goes a long way. Love it.

I bought the 12 dollar samples of Tarte primers and i love them. But i dont have the $$ hanging around so i use (and love) the loreal decrease! its cheap, easy to get nearby and works beautifully. plus the formula isnt really runny and watery like i find the UDPP to be and the elf is aswell, i hate those. the loreal one leaves my lid smooth enough that i can wear it alone (my lids are really dark) but with shadow it sucks them on all day! stands up to the tarte sample 100%

ELF mineral eyeshadow primer is good and NYX High Definition Eyeshadow Base is another good one for cheap.

LOreal has a great primer if you can find it, I like it and some artists that I know like it better than UD.

I've tried the ELF primers and they don't work at all. I also tried the NYX primer pots, and those don't work either. I really like Bare Escentuals Prime Time--it's the only one I've tried so far that actually keeps the shadow on all day. Even when I've done a vigorous workout, even when I've SLEPT in my makeup--the eyeshadow is still perfect. I got a tiny little sample from Sephora four months ago, and I still have a little less than half the product left, after using it every day. A little goes a looooong way. It's pretty expensive at $18 for a full-size, though. Not sure I can justify that.

Hey just wanted to tell you that udpp is only 9$ in travel size, so not a bad price for such a good product! !

I've tried the ELF primers and they don't work at all. I also tried the NYX primer pots, and those don't work either. I really like Bare Escentuals Prime Time--it's the only one I've tried so far that actually keeps the shadow on all day. Even when I've done a vigorous workout, even when I've SLEPT in my makeup--the eyeshadow is still perfect. I got a tiny little sample from Sephora four months ago, and I still have a little less than half the product left, after using it every day. A little goes a looooong way. It's pretty expensive at $18 for a full-size, though. Not sure I can justify that.
I use the Bare Escentials Prime Time eyelid primer as well. But, I normally use loose mineral pigments so I assume this product is best suited for mineral cosmetics? It doesn't play well with my urban decay 24/7 glide on shadow pencils though.

I have the white and gold Color Tattoos, and I've been using them as bases for my shadows. I've been really impressed with the results with shimmery and satin shadows. I rarely wear matte shadows, but when I do, I just use a concealer as a primer.

I use the $1.00 eyelid primer from ELF. I typically don't use primer, but when I do, my cheapie from ELF works just fine.

From personal experience, E.L.F. Cosmetics has an amazing primer. It's only $3! I say go for that. It's just like UD's eye potion.

My new favorite brand, ever, the king of all dupes, NYX - makes a terrific eye primer.  I think it's about $6.

I use Elf eye primer, it's pretty good and for a $1(@Target) who can complain. Plus I'm trying out using NYX milk eye pencil as a base before my shadow. I see a lot of people using it on Youtube so I figure I give it a try. My shadow stays on point all day.

I am a makeup junkie and I have always loved the Mary Kay eye primer as well as the foundation and eye lash primer.  I have been using the products for years when I decided to become a Mary Kay beauty consultant.  I would be happy to help you all out if there is anything specific that you are looking for or have questions that I can help with. 

Blessings!

JP

link removed due to TOS.

Wow, I tried the  e.l.f. essential Eyelid Primer and really liked it! Has anyone also used e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer, and if so is there a difference in how well they work? 

NYX has a HD primer for about $8! It was what I used before UD's Primer...

It works great and I love it. Gives definatly good coverage all day!

The ELF in the wand doesn't do a thing for me. I have one from Jesse's Girl and that's fairly nice. The Monistat anti-chafing gel is very good. I'll have to look for the L'Oreal stuff. I have a question for those that use NYX shadow pencils. I have several and have tried to use them as primers/base but I get creasing very quickly. I put the pencil on first and then my shadow. No go. Am I missing a step or, are the shadow pencils just not for me?

I have the white and gold Color Tattoos, and I've been using them as bases for my shadows. I've been really impressed with the results with shimmery and satin shadows. I rarely wear matte shadows, but when I do, I just use a concealer as a primer.
I'm going to second this. I picked up the color tattoo in barely beige and that's been great as a base. I find myself reaching for it a lot now. I've also used concealer and the ELF primer.

My long-winded opinions and a few tips that may help:

People have so many different experiences with eye primer that it makes me wonder if they respond differently to each person's body chemistry and/or weather. Here's my experience:

1. Urban Decay Primer Potion works fabulously for me, and the price isn't bad since it only takes a tiny bit at a time. If the price is intimidating for you, you can keep an eye on the trade threads since the minis usually show up there. Also, the Urban Decay website has the huge professional size for sale right now for $20 (usually $30) which is the price of the regular size, the trial size for $9.00, and a set (I believe regular size) with Original and Sin for $28.

2. E.L.F. Mineral Primer worked the best for me from the cheap ones. The amount of product did not last very long for me.

3. L'Oreal De-Crease was the worst for me of any, regardless of price; my eyeshadow stayed way better without a primer than with that stuff.

4. I haven't used it personally, but for glitter I have heard that Pixie Epoxy is fabulous--made by a company called Fyrinnae: http://fyrinnae.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=412

5. Benefit Stay Don't Stray was only minimally better than wearing my eyeshadow on bare skin. (It wasn't bad as a concealer, though.)

6. For a colored base, Maybelline 24-Hour Tattoo cream eyeshadows work perfectly for me. I don't need to use my UDPP when I wear these. Tough as Taupe is my favorite shade of these. I like them on their own or under powder, but they do last longer under powder. I think they are discontinued now, but if you can find L'Oreal HIP paints in the tubes, these work great this way, too.

7. I also found that if I moisturize my face at night and use eye cream, my face (including my eyelids) doesn't become hardly oily at all during the day. I am guessing this is because my face doesn't try to overcompensate for my lack of moisture by putting out more oil.

8. Eyeshadow formulas vary A LOT  as to staying power. This varies by shade, unfortunately, not just by brand. Some of my $1.00 Wet n Wild shades perform better than some of my $15 shadows by MAC. I spend the time to check out reviews online (I like Temptalia best for this) to know if a shadow is worth its price.

Back