What's a good Inexpensive Eye Primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by SassyAuburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you find it holds glitter/sparkle shadows good? It has gotten good reviews, the only drawback is someone said it's not really "skin toned". Agree?
I bought De-Crease Eye Primer about a week ago and I'm finding it to be the best eye primer I've ever tried. I put it on with my loose eye shadows (very glittery) in the late a.m. and by bedtime my shadow was still true in color, in place, and no creases.  AND I can find it locally at a regular retail/drug store. Cost was low. Can't say anything bad about it. The color is a bit off from my skin tone but with shadow over it, you can't tell anyways!

An A++++ purchase for me and an A++++++ to you who suggested it.  Thanks!!

omg, UDPP is the bessst! but i got it as a sample and i know it's pricey so i really would like to try out the E.l.f. brand primer when i run out of UDPP.

For the cheap I like NYX (wand not pot) and its only 7 bucks at Ulta. For me an eyeshadow primer should neutralize the skin tone so the true color of the eyeshadow pops as well as be slightly tacky so powders stick to it and don't stray. Slightly tacky may not hold glitter well though... I use to put a super thick lip gloss spread thin on the lid and then pack loose glitter on it. This would be over a powder eyeshadow, and it would last all night without much creasing but you have to spread it reaaallllly thin to not crease. And it was a B*&^tch to remove.

i used NYX Concealer Magic Wand as eye primer i got this idea from YouTube 

Also i used Inglot eye primer  .. wish u all the best =)

I've been using the L'Oreal Color Fresco paints as base for my eyeshadows and I'm amazed at how well they work. My eye shadow looks as good at night when I'm ready to take it off as it did when I put it on. I have oily lids so I was sure they would crease within an hour, but no they held up great! I only paid $1 each for them at the Dollar Tree too. They are still at my Dollar Tree, so check yours. This is what they look like:

I dont actually rate eye primers at all, in fact for dark colours I just use a black khol eye liner or my MAC sharkskin shade stick and if its pale, I just use my normal concealer (MAC Studio finish concealer).

If you want a more vivid colour and longevity from your shadows, the best tip is to wet your brush and invest in decent quality, highly pigmented shadows.

I don't like the ELF primers, they all have creased on me.  I also don't like the wet approach or just using concealer, they're not great options IMO.  I do like the Mary Kay primer, it's not super cheap, but it's less than $10 I think.  I LOVE the Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and think I'll stick with it until they stop selling it, and then if I know about it, I'll probably stock up a ten year supply...

Call me nuts, but I don't get the rage about UDPP... I love their products in general, but IMO, the primer potion is totally over rated.  It's runny and does NOT work well on clients with oily lids (or under hot lights).  I prefer MAC Painterly Paint Pot, I am not sure about inexpensive, but it lasts what seems like FOREVER!  totally worth the money!!!

Personally I've had a lot of luck with e.l.f's primer, I think it only costs $1 in America (I'm in England and it costs £1.50). My eyeshadow lasts for hours when I use it!

E.L.F. makes a really good eyeshadow primer as does NYX! They're both really affordable at $3.00 and $7.00 respectively!

I just got an ELF mineral primer in Sheer with the doe-foot applicator from Amazon US for about 50 cents I believe it was. Even with shipping, I think it was under $2 bc we went and got a delivery address just across the border. Anyways, I tried it out, compared it to what I've been using as of late - Eye Fix, the one I got from a mineral makeup company and which I believe Meow also sells - as well as my CamoQuad (which I've dropped using), as well as Too Faced First Base. I found the ELF mineral primer to be comparable to Eye Fix in terms of initial results, although Eye Fix is obviously better in terms of staying power. My eye shadow never creases when I use it, just alone. Love the stuff, and it's lasted me a very long time, not to mention the cheap price. I found First Base, wĥicb is very shimmery and tacky, to be kinda comparable to using my Rimmel shadow sticks, although First Base is more difficult to work with. It's more for packing shadows on, not sweeping them on. It definitely makes shadows go BAM, though! The only reason I got it is bc London Drugs was having a 40-50% off sale on all Too Faced products again bc they wont be carrying them anymore.' I found the ELF primer to be very similar in consistency to Urban Decay. Very much a silicone base. And I don't like Urban Decay's primer at all. That being said, I'd choose the ELF primer over it, especially for the price. The next primer I'll be trying is Too Faced Shadow Insurance, which London Drugs didn't have in stock, unfortunately. But I found it online super cheap anywáys, so will purchase it next month. I have a feeling though that I'll be sticking with Eye Fix. It always works, the price is right, you get a lot of product and it goes a very long way, it completely covers any discoloration on the lids, and makes all eye shadow brands I've used with it really stand out. It also makes the eyes in general stand out just a bit more. Was at Dollar Tree and saw other L'Oreal products, but not the ones above, unfortunately. Would have snagged a couple of those for sure. For a buck each, can't really complain even if they don't work for me

NYX has a few primers on their own site as well as Cherry Culture. You can google them both and find the links. Both sites have sales often so get on the mailing list and you can get some great deals.

I have tried Alot of  primers and i always go back to my Too faced shadow insurance or UDPP. But if you cant afford those, just save up a few bucks a month!

Here are a few different ones

Madd Style Cosmetics (on facebook and artfire.com) Has 2 she releasese on facebook once in awhile and i love them!

My Beauty Addiction (facebook & etsy) Has a really good one AND foil serum as well! Very afforable & always has deals online.

Elfs liner is good but not comparable to NYX primers. If you can buy NYX primers at ulta with a coupon you will save even more! I like the HD primer more than the pot form ones.

Originally Posted by Avintageaffair /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have tried Alot of  primers and i always go back to my Too faced shadow insurance or UDPP. But if you cant afford those, just save up a few bucks a month!
I agree, nothing compares to these ones, imo, and they're a bit pricey, but they last for so long!

I've tried quite a few (benefit, mac) and recently have fallen in love with BH cosmetics lip/eye primer. I really like that it works for both and is super cheap! 

Try GDE (Glamour Doll Eyes) Control Freak, inexpensive, awesome AND you'd support someone right here in this community (Vee, GlamourDollEyes makes all  of the stuff) check it out! Inexpensive and amazing. If you want swatches of her stuff I have some on my blog. Otherwise, just trust and you won't regret it. Get the primer and pick up a couple of eye shadows.

Originally Posted by Jwls750 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try GDE (Glamour Doll Eyes) Control Freak, inexpensive, awesome AND you'd support someone right here in this community (Vee, GlamourDollEyes makes all  of the stuff) check it out! Inexpensive and amazing. If you want swatches of her stuff I have some on my blog. Otherwise, just trust and you won't regret it. Get the primer and pick up a couple of eye shadows.
I second this!!! I LOVE Control Freak! My GDE shadows stayed put like nothing I've ever seen. I didn't like L'Oreal Decrease,  but I do like UDPP as well.

Back