-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic

Advertise with MakeupTalk

Photo

Wrapping hair around your head to straighten it?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 49 OFFLINE   Andi

Andi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,099 posts
  • Joined 08-March 05
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

I read this in a magazine and they made it seem like it´s the perfect way to straighten your hair without a blowdrier or flatiron.
You´re just supposed to comb your toweldried hair tightly around your head and secure the ends with bobby pins.

I just did this and my hair is a mess..it didn´t fully dry and I wrapped it all from right to left so the shape is really ugly. The texture is really smooth though, at least that´s a plus lol

Does anyone know if this technique actually works? And if so, how exactly is it done and what did I do wrong?

#Post 2 of 49 OFFLINE   Nox

Nox

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts
  • Joined 10-March 06
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

Of course it works. People have been doing this for decades. Ask any black girl here, and she'll tell you the proper way to do this (ditch the bobby pins, they can tear your hair and that's no fun ).

It's very simply really, just divide your hair into four even sections, take a boar bristle brush, and use it to smooth the hair around your head. You will need something to hold it that way. Use a some kind of smooth scarf to tie around your head. This is how I go to sleep at night. You get better each time you practice it. Pretty soon it will take you less than a minute to do it smoothly. This is exactly how I was able to ditch my hair irons. I am completely heat-free now.

#Post 3 of 49 OFFLINE   Andi

Andi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,099 posts
  • Joined 08-March 05
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:30 PM

ah, I didn´t devide my hair at all...so since I have some layers of course my hair didn´t go all around my head. Silly me lol

I would love to straighten my hair without any heating tools. Blow drying makes it straight, but the texture is never smooth and silky..but maybe the wrapping will do the trick
Thanks for clarifying the technique for me, Nox.

#Post 4 of 49 OFFLINE   KellyB

KellyB

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts
  • Joined 22-April 06
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:48 PM

Oh Andi.....I was getting a mental picture of all your hair going in the same direction around your head. Sorry. I laughed.

#Post 5 of 49 OFFLINE   Marisol

Marisol

Elite Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,697 posts
  • Joined 12-February 05
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:58 PM

My hair would look like a frizzy mess if I tried that. I can't even keep a scrunchie on my hair at nights.

#Post 6 of 49 OFFLINE   livelaughdance

livelaughdance

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 11-August 07
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by kelly1965rn View Post
Oh Andi.....I was getting a mental picture of all your hair going in the same direction around your head. Sorry. I laughed.
I was thinking the same thing.... that the hair would all be going the same direction, and if it didn't it would have lift on one side and flat on the other lol

#Post 7 of 49 OFFLINE   Retro-Violet

Retro-Violet

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,486 posts
  • Joined 05-November 05
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:10 PM

oh my god i have to try this!
thank you so much guys!

#Post 8 of 49 OFFLINE   empericalbeauty

empericalbeauty

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:19 PM

I think you also need a wrapping lotion. Not sure. I wrap my hair with Cholesterol Creme. So..yeah. Wrap lotion, I think.

#Post 9 of 49 OFFLINE   enyadoresme

enyadoresme

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Joined 13-January 07
Reviews

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty View Post
I think you also need a wrapping lotion. Not sure. I wrap my hair with Cholesterol Creme. So..yeah. Wrap lotion, I think.
i just use setting lotion spray....the lotion gets kinda heavy and its more lightweight
but yeah nox gave a good description of how it works
not only does wrapping keep hair straight...it prevents split ends too yaaaay!
A lot of people could use one of these.

#Post 10 of 49 OFFLINE   Andi

Andi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,099 posts
  • Joined 08-March 05
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:27 AM

oh yeah trust me I looked stupid with my hair all in one direction.
My hair is really smooth and soft this morning, but dead flat...maybe this technique only works for ladies who have lots of hair, and enough volume.

#Post 11 of 49 OFFLINE   Aprill

Aprill

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,482 posts
  • Joined 09-January 07
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:38 AM

I think that your hair may be to fine for this to be done, because it ususally works out fairly well. What you have to do is exactly what Nox said, wrap it going in a circular motion. Use some mousse or gel for hold, or wrapping lotion. use a scarf to tie it up after it is wrapped around. I wish i could help more, if you lived in Mississippi (LOL) then I could do it for you and I guarantee that you would love it forever!!!!!!!!!111111 I love wrapping my hair, it makes it super straight and give it volume.

#Post 12 of 49 OFFLINE   mrom

mrom

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 23-December 05
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

i might have to try this too. my hair is thick and curly/wavy. i constantly fry it to get it smooth! which way do you brush each section?

#Post 13 of 49 OFFLINE   Aprill

Aprill

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,482 posts
  • Joined 09-January 07
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:52 AM

in a circular motion around the head

#Post 14 of 49 OFFLINE   Andi

Andi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,099 posts
  • Joined 08-March 05
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Aprill849 View Post
I think that your hair may be to fine for this to be done, because it ususally works out fairly well. What you have to do is exactly what Nox said, wrap it going in a circular motion. Use some mousse or gel for hold, or wrapping lotion. use a scarf to tie it up after it is wrapped around. I wish i could help more, if you lived in Mississippi (LOL) then I could do it for you and I guarantee that you would love it forever!!!!!!!!!111111 I love wrapping my hair, it makes it super straight and give it volume.
hehe. I will just try it again and again...after all I really LOVE how smooth my hair is. Even after blowdrying and flatironing my hair has this frizzy/rough texture and is barely ever smooth to the touch.

I´ll definitely keep trying.

#Post 15 of 49 OFFLINE   Nox

Nox

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts
  • Joined 10-March 06
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrom View Post
i might have to try this too. my hair is thick and curly/wavy. i constantly fry it to get it smooth! which way do you brush each section?
Mrom, with plentiful hair like you have, and like myself also, you must have some kind of medium to put on the hair to make it easier to manipulate. In your case, water will most likely do the trick. Get it damp, but not dripping, and then brush around the head. I know brushing while wet is not the best thing for your hair, so always use a high quality brush to do this. Some people prefer the Denman brush, some the Boar bristle brush.

Now, you must wrap the head with some kind of smooth cloth. Some ladies even use Saran wrap for a good tight cling. Just make sure to wrap it with whatever you find, otherwise, the hair will not stay wrapped. After you let the hair dry a bit, it is okay to sleep on, but never sleep on it damp, that's asking for scalp fungus problems.

#Post 16 of 49 OFFLINE   EyeCandyDiva

EyeCandyDiva

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Joined 27-February 07
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Aprill849 View Post

LOL...you and Nox are on the money, a wrap is a guaranteed hairstyle that you'll love.

The only way I think this will work on really fine hair, is if your hair is wet, and you use setting lotion.
Fashions fade, style is eternal. --Yves Saint Laurent

#Post 17 of 49 OFFLINE   -Liz-

-Liz-

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts
  • Joined 27-April 06
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

im so confused as ?HoW exactally to wrap it, sorry for being dense i wanan tryit though it soudsn awsome

#Post 18 of 49 OFFLINE   Marisol

Marisol

Elite Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,697 posts
  • Joined 12-February 05
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Liz2 View Post
im so confused as ?HoW exactally to wrap it, sorry for being dense i wanan tryit though it soudsn awsome
I don't understand either.

#Post 19 of 49 OFFLINE   kisska3000

kisska3000

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Joined 28-June 06
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

me neither i really want to try it but i just don't understand how this works
whatever happens, happens for the best

#Post 20 of 49 OFFLINE   Nox

Nox

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts
  • Joined 10-March 06
Reviews

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Liz2 View Post
Originally Posted by Marisol View Post
I don't understand either.
Originally Posted by kisska3000 View Post
me neither i really want to try it but i just don't understand how this works
Okay my ladys! Here is a very good tutorial of how to "Wrap Your Hair". She explains a whole bunch of other stuff too, but it may not apply to what your personal goal is.

Enjoy!

Healthy Textures: How to Wrap Your Hair.