Wrapping hair around your head to straighten it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That tutorial rocks! Does you hair have to be dry and straight before you can do this?

Originally Posted by Marisol /img/forum/go_quote.gif That tutorial rocks! Does you hair have to be dry and straight before you can do this? No it does not need to be dry. For beginners, I would actually advise trying it with damp hair first. It gives you more time to work with it, even if you're very wavy/curly naturally, this can still work wonders for you.
The tutorial host is quite advanced in skill when it comes to hair wrapping, which is why she can do it with her highly textured dry hair so quickly.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif No it does not need to be dry. For beginners, I would actually advise trying it with damp hair first. It gives you more time to work with it, even if you're very wavy/curly naturally, this can still work wonders for you.
The tutorial host is quite advanced in skill when it comes to hair wrapping, which is why she can do it with her highly textured dry hair so quickly.

Thank you! I will have to try it this weekend and report back.

I would try this, but I dont think my hair is long enough any more... can you do it with short hair?

Originally Posted by citre /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would try this, but I dont think my hair is long enough any more... can you do it with short hair? Yes!
biggrin.gif
You can do it with hair of any length. The shorter the hair is, the easier time a beginner will have. Although, if you have very curly bob-length hair, what you could do for optimal results is this:

1. Dampen your hair with setting or wrapping lotion (you get that at the beauty supply store, like Sally's).

2. Wrap the hair around the head with a brush, follow the wrapping directions as described above, and hold in place with a soft breathable hair wrapping cloth (something you can also get at the beauty supply store).

3. Let the hair dry in its wrapped formation.

4. Remove the hair scarf. You'll see that the hair will hold it's shape for a bit.

5. Now, watch the video tutorial and follow it: With your brush, again go over the hair to reinforce the wrap, making it a bit tighter and smoother this time. You can use a tiny bit more setting lotion only if needed.

6 Get a peice of plastic food cling wrap (like Saran wrap) and wrap your head with it tightly, just like as was with the cloth wrap before.

7. Sit under a blow dryer hood, or use a hand held blow dryer for about 15-20 minutes, circling the head with heat. (Good thing with the Saran wrap, the moisture does not get zapped from your hair as with other hot tools applied on naked hair.)

8. Undo plastic wrap. Brush out hair. You're good to go!

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes!
biggrin.gif
You can do it with hair of any length. The shorter the hair is, the easier time a beginner will have. Although, if you have very curly bob-length hair, what you could do for optimal results is this:

1. Dampen your hair with setting or wrapping lotion (you get that at the beauty supply store, like Sally's).

2. Wrap the hair around the head with a brush, follow the wrapping directions as described above, and hold in place with a soft breathable hair wrapping cloth (something you can also get at the beauty supply store).

4. Remove the hair scarf. You'll see that the hair will hold it's shape for a bit.

5. Now, watch the video tutorial and follow it: With your brush, again go over the hair to reinforce the wrap, making it a bit tighter and smoother this time. You can use a tiny bit more setting lotion only if needed.

6 Get a peice of plastic food cling wrap (like Saran wrap) and wrap your head with it tightly, just like as was with the cloth wrap before.

7. Sit under a blow dryer hood, or use a hand held blow dryer for about 15-20 minutes, circling the head with heat. (Good thing with the Saran wrap, the moisture does not get zapped from your hair as with other hot tools applied on naked hair.)

Thanks for explaining! I'm gonna try this one night when I have some free time!

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes!
biggrin.gif

Thank you!

I do it once in a while but i really suck at it. My aunt can wrap her hair with 2 pins i swear!

When my hair is longer i always wrap it at night because it gets all tangled and it saved me from having to dry my hair again,

Wow..I want to try this..it looks really cool in the video haha

she has really nice hair though

I tried it but it didn´t really work out. But I´m not giving up yet

I always end up with bobby pin dents when I use them on wet/damp hair... I'm sure this wouldnt work for me.

I've had it done to me in the salon while I sat under the dryer. I had the same issue of the hair "curving" towards one side only though. I'm not a fan of it personally.

I think it all depends on your hair and how you do it. I would never wrap my hair if its wet because i know it wont get straight that way. lol I wrap my hair before i go to bed so when i wake up in the morning its not all tangled and i avoid having to straighten or blow dry it. I also try not to use any pins, its kind of hard not to do that but i really comb it until the my hair *tries* to stay in place and then i wrap and scarf on my head.

Back