Wrapping hair around your head to straighten it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excellent tutorial! the wrap was my best friend for many years! always left my hair smooth and gorgeous. if you're worried about pen dents, you can skip the pins and use an old fashion triangle hair net to secure.

wow i've never heard that one before..... interesting. i really doubt that would work to well

definitely gonna try this the next time i wash my hair & have it a bit dried already. my hair is craaazy, so i'll let you all know if it worked for me. thanks, everyone, for the details!

boo i cant get it to work! my hair is super long, seems i cant get it tight enough. also when i try theres this one section in the back that doesnt wanna cooperate
frown.gif
any other long haired ladies have success with this one?

I know back in the old days women use to wrap their hair around beer cans and or anything similar... It'll be perfect if my hair was nice and thick!

Originally Posted by newyorkknick /img/forum/go_quote.gif boo i cant get it to work! my hair is super long, seems i cant get it tight enough. also when i try theres this one section in the back that doesnt wanna cooperate
frown.gif
any other long haired ladies have success with this one? Yes. Practice.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Of course it works. People have been doing this for decades. Ask any black girl here, and she'll tell you the proper way to do this (ditch the bobby pins, they can tear your hair and that's no fun
frown.gif
).
It's very simply really, just divide your hair into four even sections, take a boar bristle brush, and use it to smooth the hair around your head. You will need something to hold it that way. Use a some kind of smooth scarf to tie around your head. This is how I go to sleep at night. You get better each time you practice it. Pretty soon it will take you less than a minute to do it smoothly. This is exactly how I was able to ditch my hair irons. I am completely heat-free now.

great advice
smile.gif

Women of color have been using this "trick" with processed hair for many years. We refer to it as a "wrap". Now-a-days most women use a wrapping foam or heavy liquid setting lotion. Depends on your hair texture. For fine hair a foam will work just fine. Those with hair shoulder length or longer generally do a "roller-wrap". This is done by placing your hair around the largest rollers your hair can hold and sitting under a dryer or letting it dry naturally. Removing the rollers, parting the hair on either the left, right or sideback and spin-smooth flat brushing your hair around your head. Then either securing with a 100% silk scarf or long clips. Let your hair rest for a while, then release and finger comb.

Things of importance: Remove all tangles! Wet hair must be flat and smooth--a bumpy uneven set leads to frizzy hair. Also, your hair must dry completely! About half-way through the drying without rollers "break the wrap" by lightly loosening and lifting the hair so that the bottom layers can dry thoroughly. Be sure to sink your fingers into your hair and checkings for complete dryness. Anyone using a relaxer must "touchup" their hair in the proper timeframe--if you have curly roots, the hair will not lay flat.

Examples:

YouTube - African American Hair Styles & Care : Dry Wraps for African American Hair : Tips for Black Hair Care

YouTube - African American Hair Styles & Care : Wet Wraps for African American Hair : Tips for Black Hair Care

THT!

Back