Allure Winter Beauty Box 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same thing here.  I just can't get past the shipping.  I know with sales and coupons, I can get the stuff I actually use even cheaper.  It is just too expensive for drugstore product.  I had it in my cart twice and changed my mind twice.  I am going to let this one go and get the next box. 
As a former extreme couponer (actually more like...taking a vacation lol) I totally agree. I had shelves of drugstore products and paid next to nothing for them, so it's always hard to see the value in things like this, even when there clearly is. 

Although I almost hit checkout until I saw that shipping...

How do companies not know that high shipping costs (or shipping costs at all) are what make people hesitate to buy? We're all conditioned to be like "EW SHIPPING!!" as soon as we see it haha ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't have a problem with drugstore products at all, but a whole box full of them just ain't sexy. It's more like doing your weekly shopping than getting a fun box in the mail, if that makes sense.

I was able to resist until it sold out. I would have used a lot of the products, but I already have a couple of the items and its a lot of money for things I don't necessarily need (I'm getting close to having a problem).

I think I'm going to (try) and hold off on buying this box until it has more makeup products (like the spring box) or until my beauty products get to a more reasonable amount.

Do you guys think everyone is just on product overload, that it's too close to Christmas, or that this box just wasn't that interesting?  I can't believe it hasn't sold out yet!
All this plus the clusters that the two previous boxes were. I will, however, miss reading pages of rants on Allure's FB from people claiming to be the most influential blogger ever and how they will ruin Allure because they didn't get a box.

I picked up the box (my first one ever!). Between myself and my mom we will definitely use everything...except for the hair chalk because...no.

Passing on this...I don't mind drugstore, but I would like a few higher end makeup items. 

I'm in IL and between the $10 shipping and taxes, the box is almost $60. I am intrigued by the John Frieda brunette stuff. I just started coloring my hair, so anything to help with that. I didn't go chemical, I did the Lush henna at home. It was messy and smelly for a few days, but the results have been great. Like a deep conditioning treatment with some grey coverage. So I am very interested in the hair stuff. 

I've been wanting to try to the Lush henna stuff, but I am a little scared!

Weird, I hit quote, but it didn't work. Meant this in reply to @@wurly

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my box. The rusk spray is travel size. Disappointed since that was one of the items I was really excited about. It's going to take a lot for me to pre-order a year again.

Actually, having done some stash cleaning this morning (aka trying to find room for all the crap I bought yesterday) the Jergens lotion is also half the size of the lotion in the fall box. That brings the value of this down even further...

I missed the Fall box and LOVED the summer box, so I didn't want to pass up missing out on this box.  I pulled the trigger before I even realized everything that was actually IN the box.  Silly me... now I have buyers remorse.  Oh well... some of the items will make good stocking stuffers.

Actually, having done some stash cleaning this morning (aka trying to find room for all the crap I bought yesterday) the Jergens lotion is also half the size of the lotion in the fall box. That brings the value of this down even further...
Since it's the 3 day Jergens lotion, it actually is full size. You need much less to get fast results so it contains less product. I've previously bought the 3 day and it's around the same price as the normal Jergens tanning lotion.

Since it's the 3 day Jergens lotion, it actually is full size. You need much less to get fast results so it contains less product. I've previously bought the 3 day and it's around the same price as the normal Jergens tanning lotion.
That makes me feel marginally better. Is it any good?

That makes me feel marginally better. Is it any good?
It's pretty good, if you like the original Jergens tanning lotion. It does work quickly, so if you need a bit of a tan for a day you can use it on short notice and still get a good glow. I think it has the same smell on your skin as the original (if you don't like that smell but want a tanning lotion I suggest Suave's, by the way :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />).

I got mine the day after it went on sale since I preordered, and I am still a little salty about the Rusk being a travel size as it's one of the products I was most excited to try.  I loved all of the Rusk stuff in past boxes.  I went back to my original preorder email and we were promised over $750 worth of beauty products, and each box has been advertised to be worth at least $250.  The value of this one was less than $230 when I assumed the full size Rusk advertised in the picture, so it's even farther away from the $250 we were promised now.  I am considering writing to allure about the value and the smaller Rusk, but wasn't sure if it was one of those things where I should just shut up and be happy with what I got or what. 

I think the reason this is sticking with me is that I don't really feel like preordering was worth it.  Sure, I didn't have to deal with the giant clusterfoos that were the spring and fall shopping experience, but I also wouldn't have bought the winter box, plus I basically paid for 4 boxes for the price of 3 just to spare myself from hitting refresh a hundred times.  Is that really worth it?

Interested to hear the thoughts of others who pre-ordered on this - did you think it was worth it?  Will I sound like those ridiculous whiners on facebook if I complain?

I got mine the day after it went on sale since I preordered, and I am still a little salty about the Rusk being a travel size as it's one of the products I was most excited to try.  I loved all of the Rusk stuff in past boxes.  I went back to my original preorder email and we were promised over $750 worth of beauty products, and each box has been advertised to be worth at least $250.  The value of this one was less than $230 when I assumed the full size Rusk advertised in the picture, so it's even farther away from the $250 we were promised now.  I am considering writing to allure about the value and the smaller Rusk, but wasn't sure if it was one of those things where I should just shut up and be happy with what I got or what. 

I think the reason this is sticking with me is that I don't really feel like preordering was worth it.  Sure, I didn't have to deal with the giant clusterfoos that were the spring and fall shopping experience, but I also wouldn't have bought the winter box, plus I basically paid for 4 boxes for the price of 3 just to spare myself from hitting refresh a hundred times.  Is that really worth it?

Interested to hear the thoughts of others who pre-ordered on this - did you think it was worth it?  Will I sound like those ridiculous whiners on facebook if I complain?
I think it's a legitimate concern that they promised one retail value and you have received another. I would contact them, if only to let them know that there was at least one unsatisfied customer. 

I didn't preorder, or even get the winter box.  And to be honest I would also be upset about the Rusk being a travel size.  The Rusk is one of the few mid-high end products in the winter box and the fact that it's not full size is pretty sad.  After the spring box I was regretting my decision to not preorder, but after seeing the fall and winter boxes I'm feeling pretty good about it.  I think I would email them, you paid a bunch of money and didn't get the value out of it you were promised.

Back