December 2012 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to do a no-buy for the full month of December to save up for car repairs (just minor stuff, but that always adds up), but I just got one of those 20% off coupons from Ulta that can be used on prestige cosmetics, so I'm going to go in on the last day it's valid to use it.  I can't pass that up, I'd just end up regretting it!  So, I'm hoping to make it until the 24th, and I'll call that good.  

I went kinda crazy with Revlon Lip Butters today....they were all colors I had been thinking about for a while and part of my "me money" , but either way, I probably didn't need them. For sure not going to buy anything else this year. 

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I finally wore the BearPaws today. They are twice as comfy as the same style boots from Target. Now I wonder if Uggs are even more comfy! (but not wondering enough to fork out their price point)
For what its worth I'm a loyal ugg girl, but I can say that bearpaws are very very comparable in comfort. The off brand ones just don't compare though. 

I'm amazed I'm doing so well on my low-buy. I've used up all 500pt's from birchbox that I accumulated doing the feedback. Didn't spend a penny.

Ugh. I went to Nordstrom the other day and got refitted and my already massive bra size has increased in both band and cup size.
icon_cry.gif
I only bought one bra there though, thinking it wouldn't be much of a difference than my older bras.. boy was I wrong. I found 3 bras that I like (that Nordstrom sells, one is the exact same bra I got there but a different color) on eBay, brand new with tags, for about half the price as Nordstrom sells so I ordered those, but I feel guilty for that.. even though I know I need to wear properly fitting bras, and the new one makes my boobs look smaller somehow.

Maybe cuz you're not busting out? Lol, first time I had a proper fit I was so sad..I came out perky and well fit, but broke as hell!

Yeah, the first time I got properly fitted I dropped something like $600 on bras. Of course I got some matching panties too, but still. At Nordstrom, since they're pretty much the only place I can find my size in person. Then I lost about 30 lbs and bought ~$300 of a new size.. And now even they're limited! Last time I went they only had the one bra that I bought from them in my current size. Not even in other colors, just a blue bra that looked pretty grannyish before I put it on. I was so hesitant to try it on because it looked so ugly just by itself. I'm grateful for eBay now. I've bought one bra from there before and it worked. Hopefully these new ones will be perfect too. Amazon sells some too, at a slightly lower price than Nordstrom.

I can't remember the last time I bought a new bra, lol. All of mine are about...4-5 years old (I know, that's really awful), so maybe I'll have to drop some money on a really decent bra. My boobs have grown so much, I honestly don't even want to know how big the girls actually are now. 

Successfully went to target without buying anything makeup related. It was tempting with the holiday kits, but well worth it.

Originally Posted by Baberanza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think from this point I'll try to go on a low-buy, because I know a no-buy probably won't happen for me.
If you like the Facebook page of Lady De Cosmetic they will honor 50% Off coupon. You might want to try it. I am not sure when it gets exprired but it is still working. Happy Holiday Every One. Any one aware of Abercrombie secret coupon? I heard but can't find any where. 

I went to Target today too! I didn't buy any beauty items, but I let myself get some clothing as a congratulations for surviving this semester.

Mainly, these awesome jeans:

I've been doing decently well on my low buy... I made a purchase of face wash from Clinique even though face wash is the last thing I need. I wanted the two free deluxe samples though. I also took advantage of the Sephora VIB $20 deal. I've been more aware of what I buy though. I'm saving up for a major non-beauty splurge item, so that is my motivation for not buying more cosmetics and such that I in no way need.. It's a hard journey though!

I bought something that cost $53 and I felt so guilty that I returned the whole order that I got from LBB late last month(and that I hadn't touched since I got it). no point on keeping something that's only going to collect dust. So technically... i just did an exchangeish and I'm still on track with this low buy!

Just got a 50% Off coupon for makeups on Lady De Cosmetic Facebook. I thought it might be cool to share it. Basically if you just like their page they will give you that coupon code. They don't have brand name or super high quality stuff but price wise they are good. I had to buy at least 11 gifts and I am guessing getting 6 of them from them. I have to get gift for all my siblings. I pay $20 to $30 for each and it looks more to their eye. I hate recession. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

By the way do you guys know any good place for Boy Toys. I need to get something for boys too.   

cvs had makeup up and nail polish for 75% so i couldnt resist but i felt guilty and decided to give them as presents. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The only thing I really need is a foundation since mine is running out.

I went through my samples, again, and found some I'm going to use.

I got a deluxe sample of an Algenist Overnight Restorative cream (0.5 oz) which sounds interesting. That was either from BirchBox or Sephora. A month or two ago, I got a philosophy GWP, and the things I'm going to use are the purity facial cleanser and microdelivery purifying peel (1oz of purity, 0.4oz for microdelivery).

I opened the Youngblood primer that I got from Sindulge for the first time, I'm glad I didn't try to use it. It smelled like fish so I chucked it.

I got a purple Kr3w watch from LBB that I decided I didn't like. That's going to my baby brother (20 years old, lol) for Christmas. And I'm considering giving his girlfriend a little box of samples. A couple of years ago, the adult children (he was still a teen at the time) decided to stop doing Christmas presents for eachother because there are too many of us, but I feel like my brother got swindled so I'm just giving him something.

I gave my sister the Disney Couture Believe hoops I got from LBB, as well as the ItKit bag (not all the samples though) chock full of samples and full size makeup items I haven't used, including some anti-aging stuff since she just turned 30.

It's always fun to go back and find samples you either didn't know you had or haven't had a chance to use. I rearrange things in my collection every few weeks so I can rediscover products. It keeps me from wanting to shop so much.

I went through my samples, again, and found some I'm going to use. I got a deluxe sample of an Algenist Overnight Restorative cream (0.5 oz) which sounds interesting. That was either from BirchBox or Sephora. A month or two ago, I got a philosophy GWP, and the things I'm going to use are the purity facial cleanser and microdelivery purifying peel (1oz of purity, 0.4oz for microdelivery). I opened the Youngblood primer that I got from Sindulge for the first time, I'm glad I didn't try to use it. It smelled like fish so I chucked it. I got a purple Kr3w watch from LBB that I decided I didn't like. That's going to my baby brother (20 years old, lol) for Christmas. And I'm considering giving his girlfriend a little box of samples. A couple of years ago, the adult children (he was still a teen at the time) decided to stop doing Christmas presents for eachother because there are too many of us, but I feel like my brother got swindled so I'm just giving him something. I gave my sister the Disney Couture Believe hoops I got from LBB, as well as the ItKit bag (not all the samples though) chock full of samples and full size makeup items I haven't used, including some anti-aging stuff since she just turned 30.

I'm goin 2 BUY that settle spray from Mac, apparantly it's realy good.  After you've applied your full makeup u just spray your face and it settles your makeup to stay for longer.  Try it girls!!!

I'm completely aware of the fact that I want to buy something right now to try to cheer myself up. I have to curb my spending though if I want to get anywhere close to where I want to be financially. aargghhhh

Does anyone here feel that being a product tester hinders working your way through the products you already have? Also, do you feel that product testing encourages you to purchase more?

I personally have received 4 shampoo and conditioner sets to test at home in the last three months and I still have a ton of shampoos that I paid for that I need to work my way through.

Back