December 2012 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

https://consumertesting.lorealusa.com

I don't know if they're accepting new people though. There's a thread here on MUT about it somewhere.
I think they might always be accepting people, but its hard to get into studies for some people.

I also am a member of Opinion Outpost and in the last 6 months I have been doing product testing non-stop for everything from tooth paste to hair products to make up. You don't always know what brand you are testing for though. Also, I have gotten skin care products to test. They also have recruiting for consumer forums where you are shown concepts and you give your opinion. It is financial compensation anywhere from 50 cents to $50. I like learning about the new products before they hit the market.

Opinion Outpost is a general survey website though, so it may take a lot of time and effort to get into a product testing program.

I've been anything but a low buy this month.  Too many tempting deals out there.  I think I've reached saturation level, though.

i unfortunately failed my low buy. I did a big splurge the other day...I was strong the first half of the month and then I went christmas shopping... and then before I knew it, i bought stuff for myself as well.
icon_cry.gif

I've done OK, but I did break down and buy a couple of things.  The CVS 75% off sale got me, and I also had a tremendous coupon and CVS credit so got some razors...Could have been much worse, but I was trying not to buy anything til after Christmas.  Good luck for the rest of December, everyone, and Happy Holidays!

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've done OK, but I did break down and buy a couple of things.  The CVS 75% off sale got me, and I also had a tremendous coupon and CVS credit so got some razors...Could have been much worse, but I was trying not to buy anything til after Christmas.  Good luck for the rest of December, everyone, and Happy Holidays!
The sale got me too, but other than that, I've been doing great. Good luck finishing out the month strong. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did really well on my necessity only buy for 2 weeks. Then, I got suckered by all the sales. I'm still buying way less than I did before so I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

okay i went back to cvs thursday  and i couldnt help it, i bought some nail polish. But they were 75% off so its not that bad :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i didnt spend over 7 bucks, i honestly could not help it when the revlon polishes were ringing up to about 1.50 each

I'm trying to swap some of my makeup products for other makeup products instead of buying them.

I've done really well this month! All I've purchased beauty wise is a burt's bees chapstick for my purse, and that was only a couple of bucks. Now, if I can just curb the rest of my spending, I'll be doing pretty alright in 2013. I may purchase some items from Birchbox since I have a lot of points that have built up, but I think I'm going to do a "3 out 1 in" sort of deal (full size!) before I buy anything, just so I can save up some more points and clear out room in my bathroom.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I went to Sephora's website today, expecting fabulous deals.  I was so disappointed.  Didn't see anything I wanted to buy.  It might be easier than I thought not to buy at the end of December/January.  

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to Sephora's website today, expecting fabulous deals.  I was so disappointed.  Didn't see anything I wanted to buy.  It might be easier than I thought not to buy at the end of December/January.  
Same here. The only thing I saw that I liked was the NARS lip gloss set, and even with the discounts, it was still a little too much to pay for a couple of mini lip glosses. Not worth it, imo.

I did purchase something beauty related for the first time this month. Dillard's had the Taylor Swift fragrance sets 50% off, so I used the remainder of my gift card to pick one up, and I ended up paying only about 5 bucks out of pocket for it. 

Do we have a low/no-buy January thread yet?  I'm ready to launch in to a 3-month very Super Low-Buy, and I'm on a mission this time (dangit)!

Back