Does Makeup age the skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the only thing I find causes 'damage' to the skin (aside from taking care of it) and it's dirty brushes. I saw this video a while back and I've been looking for it to post it. I finally found it.

YouTube - Makeup Brush Tip

My whole deal with makeup is I'm just worried about things being dirty and ruining my skin. In short, I don't really think makeup is to blame, I think it's hygiene. If you use makeup but don't take the necessary precautions/steps, then yeah, you're going to age and damage your skin in the long run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FwklwLsSSg

If anyone's interested, there's a homemade cleanser for brushes.

Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know in my town there are some women who dont wear makeup and they seem to have an issue with those who do. You just have to ignore them and keep moving. Makeup isnt really a barrier unless it contains spf imo but most do now so yes it protects your skin. I just use sunscreen bc i hate the way foundation feels except tinted moisturizers i will bust those out on special occassions lol. Foundation actually does form a physical barrier between your skin and the environment whether it contains spf or not. Of course, it's always better if it does contain spf!
smile.gif

Yes and No.

Yes: the chemical stuff in them make your skin age.. paraben esp.

No: Sunscreen is working well with your skin and protect you from the sun. Eye cream helps tone down your eyes puffiness.

everything has its benefits and harms.

Makeup does not "age" the skin.Makeup protects it from the elements and the sun.

If you have a bad diet,if you do not take care of your skin,or you do not wear sunscreen,and have poor skincare:Yes,your skin will age before its time.

Amazing that their are so many "wives tales" out this world. To each their own,I'd say!!

I read in an article that if you sleep in your makeup overnight, your skin would age ten years. I don't know if there's any truth in that, and I can't remember where the article was from, but after reading that, I was quite paranoid for awhile about removing my makeup before bed. I hardly wear makeup to bed, unless if I'm really really tired and can't summon the energy to clean it off before sleep.

I think that makeup is actually a barrier that protects the skin from enviroment. Most foundations contain SPF which is a major thing that helps against skin aging.

What it comes down to is good genes, sunscreen and not smoking or heavy drinking/drugs. That makes all the difference in the world. I've been wearing foundation with SPF since I was 16, and I have no wrinkles or signs of aging. I think that makeup helps shield our skin from the sun! (I am 32, BTW) I know a lot of "natural" ladies who have terrible skin because they don't protect their skin from the sun.

I know girls who are only 28 who look 50 because of crank, drinking, smoking.. so don't even worry about makeup!!

Anybody have any good information on this? Not to be rude but most everything so far sounds like opinion and conjecture (it's the darn teacher in me wanting references I think)
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by primetime34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Anybody have any good information on this? Not to be rude but most everything so far sounds like opinion and conjecture (it's the darn teacher in me wanting references I think)
biggrin.gif
I googled "does makeup age skin?", and this was all I found (apart from people posting opinions on other forums):
CareFair.com - Can Make-Up Make My Skin Age Faster?

But, then again, they don't cite any sources. So there's no guarantee that anything they're saying is any more reliable than what has already been written in this thread. lol.

my mum practically never wears makeup and she looks about 10 years younger than people her age who wear/used to wear alot.

i guess it blocks the pores and your skin can't get enough oxygen from underneath it (or at least that what she keeps telling me)

surley if makeup really did age the skin then not alot of people would wear it?  Does anyone have any evidence that it really does age the skin and i asked my doctor and he said that it only ages the skin if you do not remove it before you go to bed?xx

Makeup does not age the skin nor does sleeping in it age the skin. Skin ages from environmental stress, genetics, age, sun damage, skin damage, cigarettes, drugs and (too much) alcohol. If you don't take care of your skin properly then the layers of dead skin will build up resulting in a dull and old looking skin. Simply washing your face at least twice a day with a gentle cleanser or facial soap will help keep the skin looking fresh. Just keep in mind that products sold today by any company that claims it's anti-aging are basically lying as there is no fountain of youth. Only botox, fills and cosmetic surgery can help "retain" a youthful look.

Originally Posted by banapple /img/forum/go_quote.gif

start using anti-aging creams, eye creams early because it's never too early (just as a precaution lol)

22 is a bit early to worry about anti-wrinkle creams. Using a good moisturizer for the eye area and sunscreen should be fine along with a healthy lifestyle. 

If those anti-wrinkle creams really work, we wouldn't have the need for Botox or face lifts. 

It's all going to happen to us and some people have the genetics of pre-mature aging. It's all about basic skin care, healthy eating and sleeping habits, no smoking or excessive drinking and enjoy being young! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Those so-called anti-wrinkle creams are nothing more than bunk. Skin becomes saggy due to age. Damage to the skin is caused by any number of things (as I listed above). Exactly how are those creams suppose to help? If you ever pay close attention to the commercials they merely state helps reduce the appearance of and not get rid of. It's clever marketing on their part to word it in a manner that it will get rid of wrinkles without actually stating it which would be illegal due to false marketing.

while most creams cannot anti age as well as they claim, keeping your skin well hydrated and moisturized will slow down aging. dehydration is the leading cause of aging, even when it comes to the sun because the sun dehydrates and also radiates...using a cream cleanser (non foaming), alcohol free toner, moisturizer of your choice and a yogurt mask up to three times a week are all good ways to keep well hydrated skin. eyecreams are a must for eye suppleness as well :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but not necessarily the most expensive or hyped up kind...

I've asked many doctors (yay for cheap healthcare in canada), and they say wearing makeup doesn't contribute much to aging.

From all the reading and research I've done... it seems to be that the biggest causes of aging are

0) sun and tanning beds - it's pretty obvious that tanning salons will make you age, especially if you went when you were a teen. they are going to be banned for anyone under 18 for a reason.

1) genetic ( blame your mom )

2) stressful lifestyle - lack of sleep, work related, chronic stress, etc.

3) bad diet - you gotta eat raw vegetables and fruits. it doesn't have to be organic, but as long as it's fresh! avoid sugar and salt!

4) drugs and alcohol - all the partying as a young adult and teen will bite you in the ass. lol

5) dehydration - obviously, water is only the best! i can drink as much as i want from the tap. phew.

6) lack of exercise - studies suggest that EXERCISE is the best anti-aging treatment. sign up for those ZUMBA classes! my ACNE AND SKIN improved after 3 months of vigorous exercise. No joke. My skin feels smoother and softer!

7) exercise in harsh weather conditions - i do not recommend it! but if you have no choice, put vaseline and sunscreen on your face to protect it from the wind and sun exposure. reapply every 60 minutes.

And of course, too much makeup, like powder, makes you appear older, especially if you put too powder under eyes. So, take good care of your skin!

I see mixed reviews on whether sleeping with makeup on is bad for your skin. I always thought it was, I looked it up online and found this . As far as whether or not makeup ages your skin, my mom never wore much makeup and her skin looks really nice and clear, but as many of you have already said, there are other things that contribute to aging just as much as, if not more than, makeup. It seems like makeup's contribution to aging is minimal at best as long as you don't sleep in it, so why stop using it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My mom is the opposite - she wore a lot of horrible and cheap makeup all her life and her skin is clean and really nice. People think she is in her late 30s.

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see mixed reviews on whether sleeping with makeup on is bad for your skin. I always thought it was, I looked it up online and found this . As far as whether or not makeup ages your skin, my mom never wore much makeup and her skin looks really nice and clear, but as many of you have already said, there are other things that contribute to aging just as much as, if not more than, makeup. It seems like makeup's contribution to aging is minimal at best as long as you don't sleep in it, so why stop using it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Those so-called anti-wrinkle creams are nothing more than bunk. Skin becomes saggy due to age. Damage to the skin is caused by any number of things (as I listed above). Exactly how are those creams suppose to help? If you ever pay close attention to the commercials they merely state helps reduce the appearance of and not get rid of. It's clever marketing on their part to word it in a manner that it will get rid of wrinkles without actually stating it which would be illegal due to false marketing.

I was supposed to create a thread about this. You're so right, Zadi. I've upped my use of anit-aging skincare for the past 2 months, and I thought some of my wrinkles etc were reduced, but one morning, after washing my face, I took a mirror outside to really look at my skin. And while it does look brighter (from all the exfoliants I'm guessing) my wrinkles are still there/coming. Did the same thing after I applied the serums and creams and yes, the lines were less visible. So I say all this to say that the creams with all their silicones and fillers do blur out lines and pores, but if you really LOOK at your skin without them, it's exactly the same...

If my memory serves me right, at some point (long, long ago) makeup contained ingredients like lead that was toxic. I think makeup still kinda has a bad stigma because of the way it used to be formulated. Maybe this is why some people just don't trust manufacturers enough to use it.

Back