Does Makeup age the skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your memory would be correct. Lead use to be present in cosmetics until the late 20th century. I want to say it was used up until WWII and all the way into the 1960s but off hand I don't recall the exact time line. Unfortunately, there are still indie companies that use ingredients that are not meant for certain areas of the body. I can think of one company (most recently) that is reselling another company's makeup and labels it as for the eyes and "eye safe" when the company that made the product has stated it's NOT safe for the eyes. Then there are other companies that hide what they put into the makeup. Unfortunately the US FDA doesn't regulate cosmetics as well as it should.

Originally Posted by Browneyes123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 I notice women who don't wear makeup seem to have a bone to pick with women who like to experiment their look by wearing foundation and eyeshadow. I've had employees make snarky comments that "makeup is not good for the skin", around me, as if they're implying that it's a bad thing I wear makeup.

haha, this is definitely true and the way of women....we are very jealous creatures, my friend, who doesn't wear much make-up, but bleaches her hair to a platinum blonde every couple of months costing well over $250, yet she rants on girls who wear make-up as supposedly "thats the only thing that makes them pretty"

Hypocrites, got to love them right? 
laughno.gif

I don't know if make-up ages skin, I think your diet, genetics and environment has more to do with how you age, of course certain foundation and make-up can cause temporary problems, like clogged pores, acne, or reduce the appearance of skin..

Unless you don't murder your skin in application by being unnecessarily rough of you pull on your skin a lot, you should be fine. However, sleeping in your makeup does age your skin.

Gravity ages skin because it is constant. Think about it, as we get older, skin cells start decreasing. As we age, our skin loses it's actual density and mass, creating elastosis. Cosmetics (skincare) are beneficial to us and as a result, have proved to be highly helpful in the prevention of aging. Although some may be linked to aging, there is more strengths in cosmetics than weaknesses. If cosmetics are linked to anti-aging, so is everything around us. Genetics play a huge role, however; it is how we take care of ourselves that play an even bigger role in the aging process. We can fight gravity, but it is still going to exist no matter what you do.

Back