Drugstore Gems!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already have NYC Sunny and don't use bronzer enough to need a backup, but I did decide to take advantage of the sale and try a few other things from NYC. I got two of the chubby lip crayons and they seem okay, although they feel VERY cheap - the actual product actual moves around a little inside the packaging when I apply it. I also got the Smooth Skin foundation, and I haven't tried it on my actual face yet but I already have one major gripe: the packaging! It's in a glass bottle without a pump, and it is SO thick. It's basically a mousse. A thick mousse. I had to use a little sample spatula to get even a tiny dab of it out. Worst packaging decision ever. 

Does anyone have any NYC products that they love besides the bronzer?

So I went to CVS yesterday and spent way too much on makeup and sun products! But it was totally worth it, I bought two of the Milani Power Lip, and the new Maybelline Fluid touch foundation! In love with all of it.

I used a 30% off coupon, stacked on top of Milani BOGO 50% off and a $4 off $12 makeup coupon. I basically got it all for free!

I already have NYC Sunny and don't use bronzer enough to need a backup, but I did decide to take advantage of the sale and try a few other things from NYC. I got two of the chubby lip crayons and they seem okay, although they feel VERY cheap - the actual product actual moves around a little inside the packaging when I apply it. I also got the Smooth Skin foundation, and I haven't tried it on my actual face yet but I already have one major gripe: the packaging! It's in a glass bottle without a pump, and it is SO thick. It's basically a mousse. A thick mousse. I had to use a little sample spatula to get even a tiny dab of it out. Worst packaging decision ever. 

The Expert Last lipsticks. Brandy Sparkle is one of the best colors in the history of EVER (in my opinion, anyway) and they wear way better than the chubbies.

I did an entire face using drugstore makeup today! My foundation is the Maybelline Fluid touch makeup and when I say run and buy it, I mean, RUN AND BUY IT RIGHT NOW, IT'S INCREDIBLE!

Blush and eyeliner are by essence, courtesy of my FGM @@lovepink

Mascara is Loreal voluminous butterfly and finally NYX butter lipstick in licorice.

image.jpg

I did an entire face using drugstore makeup today! My foundation is the Maybelline Fluid touch makeup and when I say run and buy it, I mean, RUN AND BUY IT RIGHT NOW, IT'S INCREDIBLE!

Mascara is Loreal voluminous butterfly and finally NYX butter lipstick in licorice.

So pretty!  Love  :wub:    

The drugstore right now is killing it!  I want everything! 

One, SO PRETTY!!!

Two, successful enablement on the foundation. Picked up a bottle at the walmart today! Super excited to try it!

Also picked up the Rimmel stay matte primer. I want to TRY and find something that isnt $31 for a tiny tube like porfessional is and I think I read here someone/some people like this? We'll see how it works, I feel oily lately which is really odd!

Last edited by a moderator:
One, SO PRETTY!!!

Two, successful enablement on the foundation. Picked up a bottle at the walmart today! Super excited to try it!

Also picked up the Rimmel stay matte primer. I want to TRY and find something that isnt $31 for a tiny tube like porfessional is and I think I read here someone/some people like this? We'll see how it works, I feel oily lately which is really odd!
Please let us know how the Rimmel works out! I have been looking for a good, oil-munching primer or mattifier that won't break my budget. Lately I have been gushing enough oil to give Texaco a run for its money--I don't know if it's the warmer and more humid summer climate, or my hormonal skin going off on a deranged shopping spree of its own.

The NYC liquid liner that Chrisspy uses is truly amazing! One of my favorites so far although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is just starting out because the brush can be a bit hard to control.

Loréal True Match is also a gem, along with their Lumi Highlighters.

For fans of Clinique Black Honey, who either have lousy access to a counter or don't want to pay the higher price, I find that Revlon's lip butter in Fig Jam is a really close dupe. The coverage is nearly identical, as is the color--except that the Revlon is ever-so-slightly less on the berry-toned side, and is a tiny bit browner than the Clinique.

For fans of Clinique Black Honey, who either have lousy access to a counter or don't want to pay the higher price, I find that Revlon's lip butter in Fig Jam is a really close dupe. The coverage is nearly identical, as is the color--except that the Revlon is ever-so-slightly less on the berry-toned side, and is a tiny bit browner than the Clinique.
I also have found a good dupe in Burts Bees Red Dahlia tinted lip balm. I wore them side by side one day to compare and it was really close on me. 

I also have found a good dupe in Burts Bees Red Dahlia tinted lip balm. I wore them side by side one day to compare and it was really close on me.
I forgot about that one! It is indeed very similar. The Burt's Bees shows up slightly redder on me, where the Clinique has more of a light-berry stain look, but the coverage is spot-on and wears well.

The Expert Last lipsticks are my favorite item of theirs! The price is ridiculously cheap, especially with the deals they are having at RiteAid ($1.99, then the 40% off makes them $1.19 and then the coupon makes them .19, and when you spend $5 you get that $2 back, so amazing deal). They are well pigmented and I find they last just as long as any other lipstick on me. Around here there are only 10 or so colors (not sure if there are more released or not, I'm in rural MI, so we don't always get all the shades of stuff LOL).

I had been buying these lipsticks for full price and then using the coupon and thought that .99cents was great, but it's even better with this deal that is now going on (i bought other stuff I wanted with this sale and coupons!). Unfortunately, when I went in last night, I got the last two coupons from the display :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A drugstore fave I haven't mentioned yet is Sinful Colors nail polish. They are my favorite polishes. I have probably 20 or more of them and only had issues with a couple not covering well/being streaky. (and I'm ok with that to a point since they are only $1.99 and go on sale a lot at Meijer).

I love this thread!  I'm new to drugstore makeup and beauty products so I love reading these posts.  As soon as I was old enough, I started using the same department brands (Estee Lauder, Lancôme, Clarins) that my mother and grandmother used.  In more recent years I have been using the brands that I purchase at Sephora and also what I have discovered through my subscription boxes.

I've tried a few drugstore products the past couple of months, mostly NYX products that I see posted about here.  I purchased 2 other products that I am so in love with, that I just cant keep them to myself - One is Garnier 5 Second Blur primer.  I normally use the Smashbox primer or Hourglass, but I have to say I love the Garnier more than either of these more expensive brands.  The other amazing product I picked up my CVS is Macadamia Deep Repair.  I had been using Kerastase for a few years, but I saw much better results with the Macadamia Deep Repair.  Both of these products work better for me than their more expensive counterparts, and I am in LOVE, LOVE, LOVE with them both! 

The Garnier 5 Second Miracle Blur is a fantastic primer, but I have dry skin.  Its a little heavier than the Smashbox.  I don't think this work so well for someone with oily skin.

Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation
I have a test tube of this in my car waiting for me to try!
My gems:

Rimmel Lasting 25 Hour Foundation (HG, I always try others but *ALWAYS* come back to this!

NYX Blush in Peach & Summer Peach

NYX Pearl Pigments (The white, the pink and the goldy-shimmer champagne brown) - i use them daily!

NYC Bronzer in Sunny

NYX Matte Bronzer (ummm... forget the shade ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

L'Oreal Magic BB Cream - the lightest shade - the texture is SO different then the rest of them!

I guess nothing really new in my list

I have a couple gems!!!! The NYX HD concealers have always been a favorite, but get the darker shades to contour with. They blend out so perfectly and have great undertones for creating depth. 

I also love the extra creamy lipsticks, except for the fact that mine always break. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Hannah

(removed blog link per TOS -magicalmom)

1. Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask: $3.99

I recommend using this mask once a week, or whenever you feel like your skin is going to break out. It does a great job of halting breakouts without drying out your skin. It is very cooling and feels awesome! 

2. St. Ives Apricot Scrub: $4.29

This exfoliator works far better than any high end exfoliator I have ever tried. Everyone raves on Kate Sommerville’s “Exfolikate” ($22), but I find this scrub to be much more effective at removing dead skin. Use 1-2 times weekly. 

Next, let’s talk about body care.

3. Olay Ultra Moisture Body Wash with Shea Butter: $4.79

This is the only body wash I have ever used that makes me feel like I can skip lotion and still have silky, hydrated skin after my shower. Great stuff. 

4. Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub in Coconut Lime: $6.99

Body scrubs can get very pricey if you start looking at high end brands. And if you want my opinion, there’s no reason to shell out all that extra money on something that you’re going to rinse down the drain anyways. I use this scrub as an all-over exfoliator as well as on my legs before I shave. 

The drugstore has a lot to offer when it comes to good hair products. I don’t use a lot of product in my hair, but the products I’m mentioning are things I use on a very regular basis, and have been part of my routine for about a year now. 

5. Tresemme Heat Tamer: $5.99

If you're someone who heat styles your hair often, a great heat protectant is a must. This one gets the job done and leaves your hair feeling nice and smooth. 

6. L’oreal Evercream Shampoo and Conditioner: $5.99 each

I'm obsessed with this stuff. It works as well as salon products that I've tried and is a fraction of the price! I have naturally dry and course hair, so taming it can be somewhat of a beast. If you have similar hair, give this stuff a try. You won't regret it. 

And now to the good stuff- makeup. 

7. Burt’s Bees Pomegranate Chapstick: $3.99

I have tried TONS of lip balms and, aside from straight vaseline, this is the only one that improves the overall health of my lips. A lot of other lip balms feel great when you first use them, but leave my lips feel dehydrated by the end of the day. 

8. Maybelline Great Lash Mascara- Clear: $6.79

I know what you’re thinking. But, let me stop you right there. I don’t actually use this as a mascara. Instead, I use it as a brow gel. It works just as well as any high end brow gel at a fraction of the cost. Save your splurges for fun stuff like eyeshadow or blush. 

9. Real Techniques Powder Brush: $9.99

I’m not gonna say that expensive brushes aren’t awesome. I know as well as the next girl that good brushes can completely change the appearance of your makeup. But, we don’t all have $50 to shell out for a powder brush. If you’re like me, try this brush. It’s super soft, applies powder evenly, and holds up very well. I’ve washed mine countless times and it still looks brand new. 

10. Rimmel Stay Glossy Lipgloss: $3.79

My favorite shade is called “Non-Stop Glamour.” This lipgloss is perfect if you’re someone who can’t stand super sticky glosses. It applies beautifully and has just enough color to brighten up your face. This gloss pretty much lives in my purse. 
Ahh pleeeeease be careful with the St Ives apricot scrub. (I'm going to sound like a broken record.. lol) This is way too abrasive for your face and you're gonna do more harm than good down the road. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I had to beg my sister to stop using it until she finally took my skin care advice and now uses it as a foot scrub.

I forgot which page I was on so I'll just go ahead and say what I like :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm obsessed with Covergirl mascara in the green tube with the fibers. I usually HATE mascara with fibers but this one doesn't clump up and layers really well.

I just started using Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes, I love how this looks on, I love layering on my mascara and this gives me what I'm looking for in 2-3 coats compared to about 5 of the CG one.

Maybelline unstoppable eyeliner( I believe, I'm going from memory here). This stays on all day for me and doesn't fade. It also works perfectly for when I smudge my liner under my eye, I keep going back to this liner.

Physicians Formula bronzer, really light, not too shimmery and I like the way it blends.

ELF cream liner pot. I think this is pretty close to the MAC one I used to buy. I like it but I hate the stupid lid. I end up stabbing my hand with my nails when I try to open it.

ELF bronzer/blush in St. Lucia. Blends well and has lasted me almost a year and I still have plenty left.

Almay TLC foundation. I have been using this for years (I had to switch to something cheaper because I was going through Jane Iredale powder every month). It gives a lot of coverage and stays on through ANYTHING. I wear this on float trips with CG & olay powder and through the water and sweating in 100 degree heat, I still look like I just applied it!

My favorite is Maybelline Fit Me liquid foundation. I apply it with a beauty blender and it's comparable to any of the better prestige foundations.

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder

Milani Lipstick in Rose Femme

The black rimmel kate moss lipsticks

Rimmel Scandaleyes Eye liner

Wet n Wild Silent Treatment Eye trio (loveliest neutral/smokey colors ever)

I think I'm the only person ever who doesn't like the Rimmel Stay Matte powder! It doesn't do anything for me. 

Back