Drugstore vs. Name Brands??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't normally ever buy drugstore brands unless I see something I might like in a magazine, but that hardly happens. The closest I get to drugstore brands is NYX, they carry it in drugstores, but it doesn't seem like a drugstore brand to me.

I've been buying higher end face products, and since I've tried Stila's eyeshadows I can't stand the way drugstore e/s feel.

But I buy drugstore lippies and mascara. I just can't make myself pay $20 for a tube of gloss!

I buy mainly drugstore since being a full-time student isn't very income generating as of now lol. But I do use higher end (mainly MAC & UD) and I find their pigmentation and staying power to be much better.

I like using both because I love the feeling of finding a cheap drugstore product that's a gold mine! I really like experimenting with different colors so I think drugstores let you do so without feeling guilty about spending so much. But as many have said-- high end brands have a lot of great items. I can't overall say one method of buying is better than the other though.

I like both. I tend to find that I like the feel of high end make up better on my face- the lipsticks feel nicer, and all that good stuff, but sometimes that's not always true either. A lot of my HG's are drugstore brands because- hey, if it works great, and it's cheap, why wouldn't I use it?

Pigmentation doesn't really bother me cause nothing lasts long on my oil packed face... So high end or drugstore, I end up reapplying every hour (Brawr).

I have recently started buying Lancome and Max Factor products- and they're both great.

i love both, but i'm making a commitment to myself to only buy drugstore for a while, just to see if i can find things that work for cheaper. i've already switched by high end moisturizer and custom blend foundation to drug store brands!. but, i did go from a drug store brand to a high end brand for my cleanser. go figure~
vogel.gif

oooooooo. i totally love nyx, milani, & prestige! i haven't really used any other drug store brand, but there are definately some great ones!

i use both as well. i like drugstore cosmetics because its really cheap but a sephora just opened up in my town and ive become addicted!

I tend to purchase the cheaper brands. The only time I buy the higher end brands is if they have something really unique, such as the MAC pigments. Other than that I tend to go by colors than brands.

for long i've relied on drugstore brands only, never really understanding there could be good products in the names brands. now i'm not afraid of buying something more expensive but i always try to find a drugstore version, because it's cheaper and can be just as good. i guess it depends on the products.

I prefer department store brands because they allow me to try products before buying. I do find that Wet N' Wild and Milani have excellent eye shadow! They are my drug store "must haves."

I love both of them. I tend to buy most of my makeup at drugstores and flea markets since most of my makeup are from those stores, but sometimes I buy makeup from Sephora, MAC, Bare Escentuals and department stores. Plus, at Sephora, MAC, Bare Escentuals and department stores, you can try the makeup samples buy before deciding what to buy. It depends on the taste of the person.

Drugstore brands are best. They have some testers,yes. I hate it when the product you want to buy has been opened.
frown.gif
There are alot of knock-offs out there, I mean who wants to pay $20.00 something for an eyeshadow or foundation?

I buy cosmetics from both, with one glaring exception. I have light skin and I find that most of the drugstore foundations in the lighter colors tend to be really pink or occasionally orange tinged. Many of them also don't cover as well as some department store brands.

I'm too much of a perfectionist to buy from drugstore brands! I need to be able to wear things before I buy them, so counters just work better for me. Such brands may be more expensive, but I also find that its generally better value, as I get better wear, results, comfort, pigmentation and such from high end/name brand makeup. It lasts longer, I take better care of it, and I would never dream of getting sick of, throwing away, or losing something I have put so much effort into finding! Plus, finding the right products has always been a struggle, as when it comes to makeup, my skin colour and I are as fussy as they get! Counter brands have exactly what I require: I can see the product in person, try it, look at it in different lighting, and walk back to the counter free of the guilt that comes with buying anything I'll just waste. [Not to mention that I don't have to pay friends back for borrowing their Paypal Accounts: bliss!]

That said, if anything drugstore has rave reviews on Makeuptalk, I might just try it...
wink.gif

I only started buying higher end makeup like a year ago (I can't remember exactly). Pretty much everything I've bought I've been super happy with & with drugstore buying you get hit's & misses - If I buy higher end I am usually always satisfied with it.

Plus buying higher end makeup is so much more exciting.. Walking into Sephora & blowing a bunch of $$ is ... really fun
rotfl.gif

Truthfully i used to be a High end cosmetic snob. If it wasn't high end, i wasn't buying it. NOW i am the complete opposite. I have found that my favorite blush is an NYX blush, and it has completely took me away from the MAC, Cargo and Nars blush. I still love MAC eyeshadows but i have found some comparable Milani and NYX shadows. I know see that i DONT have to spend alot of money for quality products.

The only thing i stay true to is name brand mascara's (lancome hypnose, tartes lights camera, lashes) .

I tend to stick to higher end products because of the quality. Keep in mind, a lot of drugstore products are made from the same company as the higher end products, but with lower end quality. For example, Lancome, L'Oreal and Maybelline are all the same company...just different levels of quality.

There are good drugstore products and good high end products. It's all about finding what works for you.
smile.gif

I definitely use both.

Back