Drugstore vs. Name Brands??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by helyli /img/forum/go_quote.gif hm...considering much of a makeup's price is its packaging + marketing and the same few companies own almost all the brands, I'd say it's trial and error for drugstore product or pay for the mua's and experience at the counter This is so very true. Maybelline and Lancome are related companies and Shiseido just purchased Bare Minerals. It's all about product placement and what they think their target market should be. It doesn't mean they make the products that really should be in that area of their target market. Clinique for example doesn't really belong in a department store, at best they are drugstore. Lately, you'll also see the crossover where department store brands are finding their way into drugstores - Dior show mascara, Shiseido, Pur Minerals, Lancome are all available at drugstores. Cosmetic companies also make private label brands too so you really don't know who makes those.

I like drugstore brands because they are way cheaper and I can go around the corner to get them. I'm on a no-buy right now, but I have kinda figured what products are worth to splurge on. After hearing everyone on MuT's words as well as speaking with pro mua's, foundation, bronzer, chanel lipstick, and mac lipgloss (due to the variety in colors) seem like the products to splurge on.

I use a combo of name brand and drugstore, the one thing I don't like is for foundation and powder you just have to guess your shade... I am a drugstore cosmetics junkie though!

I also use a combination. I do use MAC foundation and concealer because I figured those are the things to splurge on since I'll be putting it on my face every single day. I typically only buy expensive shadows if I'm DYING to try the color. But, I really like getting el-cheapo brands of shadow because I don't like to wear the same colors everyday and more is better sometimes
laughing.gif

By the way, CVS drugstore allows you to buy products and return them if you don't like them.....I love that
wink.gif

I use both.

I love few Drugstore products: Revlon colorstay foundation, Covergirl Lash blast Mascara & Maybelline Color Sensational lipsticks.

[SIZE=10pt]I buy both but I have more drugstore than highend. I've recently purchased six mac eyeshadows and though they were okay, a little too sheer for my taste. Also I need to control my spending on makeup in general. I rather save for a day at the spa or vacation than six more eyeshadow palettes. So I go for more drugstore than highend. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I love Wet 'n wild eyeshadows. Incredible blending and pigmentation. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

I stick to drugstore stuff with the occasional high end stuff which is mostly nail polishes from Chanel. I dunno, drugstore does the trick for me.

Like fashion, I really believe in mixing high and low. There's some stuff I'll splurge on, but I can't resist checking out drugstore stuff if it's gotten a good buzz. That says, unless it's already really cheap on the drugstore scale (Hard Candy, WnW, or NYC) I only buy drugstore when it's on sale or on promo for Optimum Points at Shoppers. I can't bear to spend full-price on drugstore makeup, when it'll be on sale a week or two later.

Neither! I purchase all of my makeup off of eBay and I just started purchasing makeup from tkb trading (Which I LOVEE) so much cheaper then purchasing makeup irl. But I do buy drug store mascara and foundation(I have very nice skin so coverage isnt a big deal) and high end primers

I am team drug store! I've tried a lot of high end products and paid the money. In my oppinion I can find drug store products that make me just as happy for half the price. I normally check reviews online before I try something too. It keeps me from buying stuff I end up hating. I also enjoy buying tons of things instead of just one high end product.

I mostly buy drugstore brands because I don't always have access to the dept. brands except once in  a while, and even then I'm still confused on stuff like foundation and conceler. The only conceler i own is my mom's old Rimmel London cover stick in Classic Ivory. So i stick to a combo of Hard Candy and CoverGirl with the occasional Urban Decay eyeshadow(i only own one!) Or my eyeshadow palette i got from HotTopic.

I mostly buy HE over DS. First of all, how much more fun is it to shop at Sephora rather than Walgreens or CVS? Also, Sephora has amazing customer service and return policies. Yes, it is expensive, but worth the money imo. I'd rather pay $40 for a HE foundation than $15 for a DS foundation. The DS foundation everyone raves about, Revlon Colorstay, I used since I was 15 and I'm 20 now. It was my HG foundation. I just recently started using HE foundations and I realize how much better they are. First of all, I have to pack on the Revlon Colorstay and it ended up looking cakey. I just started using Laura Mercier foundation ... I'm not sure if it's my HG foundation yet, but it went on like a dream. I'd rather spend $100 at Sephora and only buy 3 or 4 things than spend $100 at Walgreens and buy 10 things.

Also, has anyone else noticed how much more expensive the DS is than it used to be? Wet n' Wild is the only brand there I think is worth the price ... most of the other brands, I might as well just spend a few extra $$ and buy a nicer product from Sephora or MAC.

I use a combination of drugstore and big brands.... In fact, I have a rimmel mascara that is my go-to. I rank it up there with diorshow.

I try to steer away because i know a LOT of the drugstore brands test on animals and most of the makeup counter ones do not... however that's my 'thing'.

as for which ddrugstore brand is my fave: Physicians formula by far followed by L'oreal lipglosses (though l'oreal does test on animals)

lots of the drug store products i've tried are really hit or misses. So far, i've had a bad experience with all maybelline products, i break out and the quality... well the LACK of quality really puts me off. So far, i'm liking my brand name products... shiseido, dior, etc... you really need to do a fair amount of research prior to investing in a drugstore product.... however, skincarewise, I like my drug store, natural/orangic shizz!

I buy DS for mascara and nail products.  For everything else (eyeshadow, blush, highlighters, face products), I've started really getting into mid and high-end products like Clinique, MAC, Estee Lauder, and Stila.     It's an investment I'm making and worth it to me.  I still use good old Cetaphil for cleansing.

Originally Posted by BeautifullyMADE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I was just wondering whether or not drugstore brands were better of more sufficient than name brand cosmetics. I am really starting to become a drugstore cosmo addict! I can't get enough of it! They're half the price as name brands and it's much morer convient for me to get a hold of.

I prefer both really because where drugstore brands lack, name brands make up for and vice versa. What's your thoughts about it?
I personally don't think it matters whether a product is drugstore or belongs to a name brand necessarily: its down to the individual product. There are products by high-end brands that suck, and products by low-end brands that suck, and its just a matter of researching and testing to find what works well and what doesn't. If a product is high-end, and it works well, its up to you if you think that its worth it. 

Personally, I find that there are a few drugstore gems and some makeup is lovely that is also cheap. You can look good on a budget, no question, but in general I find that if you look at the drugstore, you're much more likely to find duds. I think that's to be expected. In general, the products I find work best for me usually fall under the more expensive category, and there are a few more affordable favourites. 

Every high end brand has a line in a drug store and millions of more items are sold there than the dept stores. I buy from every where the price is not important the quality is.

Back