Fortune Cookie Soap: Winter Soap Box 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good for trying out new scents, but I'm not sure if the monetary value is really there for $34, since most everything is a mini size. It does come with a code for $10 off your next purchase, which is nice, but that might barely cover your shipping for another purchase.

Have you bought anything from Fortune Cookie Soap before?
No, I haven't. I've been lurking around their site and boxes for some time and I'm trying to decide if I should get this box as one of many holiday beauty gifts I'm buying myself this year LOL I know these are only minis and that's why I'm not sure...

I realize there may not be the monetary value in this purchase but are the products good and fun to try enough so that it's worth in on that level? Some fun and nice smelling and adorable items to try for Christmas?

The shipping cost of sending one item to Europe is over $14 so the code doesn't even cover that...

Do you think it's worth getting this box for $34? I'm in Europe...
Not unless you are really into the spoilers so far.  I think 3(?) products and scents have been revealed so that's about 1/2 the box.  The sizes are very small for the most part.  If you just want to try them out you might do better waiting for the launch where they have discount codes.  You could probably get 2-3 full sized items for the price of the box.

I've got to agree with everyone saying this is more of the same foodie/fruity meh. I should check and see if I've been charged already. If not, time to cancel and take my money to another indie bath shop (I just *know* Haus of Gloi is going to *wreck* me!).

Not unless you are really into the spoilers so far.  I think 3(?) products and scents have been revealed so that's about 1/2 the box.  The sizes are very small for the most part.  If you just want to try them out you might do better waiting for the launch where they have discount codes.  You could probably get 2-3 full sized items for the price of the box.
Agreed. The box is more for trying out the new scents than anything else. A lot of the items are big enough for just a handful of uses, or one time use (like bath salts/bombs). The launch discount is usually a decent chunk off. I want to say 20% off, but I can't remember!

I've got to agree with everyone saying this is more of the same foodie/fruity meh. 
I really dislike smelling like food or fruit, otherwise, I'd totally jump on this box in a second.  A "fresh" or "clean" smelling box would be my fave!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got to agree with everyone saying this is more of the same foodie/fruity meh. I should check and see if I've been charged already. If not, time to cancel and take my money to another indie bath shop (I just *know* Haus of Gloi is going to *wreck* me!).
These scents are my cup of tea, but I know that they aren't for everyone. As long as you cancel before November 1, they will refund you if you have already been charged.

Another spoiler is up...it's the scene where he daydreams about the girl diving in the pool (the hint is a video, so not sure how to post that here).  Makes me think it's going to be a summer/tropical type smell which will just be kind of weird.  So far, I feel this box is looking a little disjointed for a winter themed box, but I hope it comes together in the end :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Another spoiler is up...it's the scene where he daydreams about the girl diving in the pool (the hint is a video, so not sure how to post that here).  Makes me think it's going to be a summer/tropical type smell which will just be kind of weird.  So far, I feel this box is looking a little disjointed for a winter themed box, but I hope it comes together in the end :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That's what I was thinking too. 

I actually really like all of the scent descriptions we've seen so far, but they're just not what I think of when I think of a winter box. I wanted a box that smells like Christmas!

Not really box related, but I did end up ordering a few CYO perfume oils. All museum scents--some of my favorites that they discontinued & some I just really wanted to smell. 

That's what I was thinking too. 

I actually really like all of the scent descriptions we've seen so far, but they're just not what I think of when I think of a winter box. I wanted a box that smells like Christmas!
Me too. I'll stick with the box since I do like fruity scents sometimes, but I'll have to buy my winter-themed body products somewhere else, I suppose.

Me too. I'll stick with the box since I do like fruity scents sometimes, but I'll have to buy my winter-themed body products somewhere else, I suppose.
Me three. I'll keep the box, but after my $10 off code is used, I probably won't buy any of these scents during the general release. That's fine, Haus of Gloi can just have all my money for winter bath and body stuff.

Ok, thanks for your input everyone. I'm not getting the box then, just waiting for the release of the new collection. How can I get a discount code for that occasion, please?

Ok, thanks for your input everyone. I'm not getting the box then, just waiting for the release of the new collection. How can I get a discount code for that occasion, please?
They announce it during their launch party video stream, just follow their Facebook page, all the details will be there. Usually the launch party happens about 2 weeks after boxes ship, but I'm not sure of the exact date.

They will host a collection release live video stream the night that the collection releases. There will be a 20% off code at the end of the video. (As long as they are consistent with previous seasonal collection releases.)
ETA: Whoops, I see that Kelly Silva already responded. I have no clue how I scrolled past that.

I went ahead and cancelled my box.  Based on the spoilers I have  a sensitivity /allergy to an ingredient in the hydrate me and cuticle butter and don't use the OCD so I'd be getting a bunch of stuff I won't use and I am trying to cut down on my stash.

Because I'm super cheap, I usually use my $10 gift card on the wax tarts, because you can get 6 of them for $10. Not to mention each one is at least 3-4 uses. I have a burner in my bathroom and their tarts are always really high quality and smell for a long time. I usually just get the box for fun/reviewing purposes because I already have way too much stuff to spend the money on full sizes. 

This box is still up in the air for me. I won't cancel because $20 4 times a year isn't that big of a deal, not to mention the gift card. It's fun and interesting enough to make me continue getting them. Although I really hope the spring box is as nice as the one last year!

They will host a collection release live video stream the night that the collection releases. There will be a 20% off code at the end of the video. (As long as they are consistent with previous seasonal collection releases.)

ETA: Whoops, I see that Kelly Silva already responded. I have no clue how I scrolled past that.

They announce it during their launch party video stream, just follow their Facebook page, all the details will be there. Usually the launch party happens about 2 weeks after boxes ship, but I'm not sure of the exact date.
Thank you very much for the info.

last year's winter box - nightmare before christmas - wasn't that wintery either (at least to me)

this was my review on it last year

“Zero” Dry Shampoo.  This is supposed to smell like sweet peppermint with a hint of pumpkin, but I do not notice any smell when I shook a bit out on my hand.  So, the smell is a “0” for me.  That said, I love dry shampoos, so I will use this, scent or not.
 ​
“Sandy Claws” Exfoliating Body Butter.  Now this smells like cocoa to me!!  There is a hint of chai, but the chocolate scent is very powerful and I do not smell that chai scent at all.  This is GREAT.  It does remind me of Lush’s products.   I really want to purchase this in a full size.
 ​
“Lock, Shock and Barrel” Bath Melt.  I got Barrel’s face – he was the more intelligent of the three!   lol.  This is a great scent – pine with a spice-y undertone.  I don’t take baths, but I will see what else I can use this for.  I love the smell of this one
 ​
“Holiday Worlds” Whipped Cream Body Butter in Thanksgiving Town.  Wow – two body butters in one box!!  They are very different in their texture and application.  There were 4 scents that could be in your box this quarter – Halloween Town, Thanksgiving Town, Christmas Town and Easter Town.  Thanksgiving Town smells like a cake and according to their website, it is described as “Brown sugar dusted graham crackers, vanilla frosting, creamy caramel, and plump, juicy raisins”
 ​
“Oogie Boogie” OCD Hand Sanitizer.  There is a BUG in my sanitizer!  lol.  It looks to be a plastic spider or fly.  Not sure yet.  This product is slightly neony in color, which is cool.  Smells like berries and cinnamon. 
 ​
“What’s This?” Roll On Perfume.  This has a really nice scent, which I won’t say anymore about, as there is a contest from FCS to guess the notes in this perfume.  Nice size rollerball.
 ​
“Sally” Fortune Cookie Soap.   This is so creative – they even have a patch and whip stitching that resemble  Sally, Jack’s rag doll girlfriend.   The smell, meh.  It does smell like laundry soap!! lol  But the cookie is really sweet looking.
 ​
“Jack” Bath Fizzy.   This is a very menthol smelling bath fizzy, with a lemon undertone.

It had a lot of scents that were supposed to be associated with Christmas, but I didn't view it as a Christmas smelling box.  There was always some other scent overpowering it - or in the case of Zero - none!

The only one that came close was Lock, Shock & Barrel

the hydrate me's are GREAT and I love the christmas bulk shape.  Hydrate me's are better shipped in the cooler months, cause they melt like crazy in the summer.
I'll be excited if mine arrives and it's still in the bulb shape! I tried to get a couple during the summer release and when they arrived, they were liquid.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was SO hoping for a nutty smell for "squirrel!" One of my all time favorite Christmas scents is German marzipan which is a German almond paste. I think I was secretly hoping it would smell something similar to that!!!

When I think of Christmas I think of apples & cinnamon, oranges & spiced wassail, pine cones, hot chocolate, & let's not forget candy canes & sugar cookies.

What smell do you think/hope the hydrate me will be?
That German marzipan sounds amazing, Dani!! Does anyone sell a scent similar to that?

Back