How to Remove Glitter Nail Polish

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this!  I LOVEEE glitter nail polish so I'll definitely be going to buy some felt in the near future!

[SIZE=12pt]Completely soak a cotton ball with nail polish remover. Next, set the soaked cotton ball on your nail and wrap it completely in aluminum foil and then repeat the process on each of your fingers and thumb, pressing down on the foils while the remover works its magic. Let sit for about five minutes and then slide the foils off to reveal glitter-free nails.[/SIZE]

Great tips! I don't wear glitter polish that often, but when I do, I use the felt method. Glitter is so stubborn, especially when there's more than one coat.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Am I the only person who still uses a sponge with slits to soak the fingers in?

(I am going to start doing the wipe off with felt....that makes perfect sense, compared to all the darned cotton pads I go through when doing it.)
I love those removers, but glitter never dissolves.  It just stays on the sponge and gets all over you in future removals.  Sad  Very sad. 
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love those removers, but glitter never dissolves.  It just stays on the sponge and gets all over you in future removals.  Sad  Very sad. 
icon_sad.gif
But I use disposable sponges. Regardless, I've had good successes with the felt and foil method...and with using Butter London Powder Room, strangely enough.

Thank you for this!  I took some glitter polish in when I got a pedi last week and the girl reminded me of how hard is it to get off before she polished me, I'll take my own off this time!

Thank you for this!  I took some glitter polish in when I got a pedi last week and the girl reminded me of how hard is it to get off before she polished me, I'll take my own off this time!

Lots of brands even sell individual pre-soaked felt pads. Great for traveling and they really work to get the glitter off!!

The best nail polish remover has got to be Zoya 3 in 1. I don't even know if it is acetone free or not! All I know is that it takes off the polish without leaving residue (like a red tint) and it gets off the glitter in one or two swipes. I only use 3 cotton balls and I have acrylics, so that is pretty amazing for me! It comes in a small pump bottle that is like $5, but it is worth every penny, then you can refill it with a bigger bottle. I found the bigger bottles bogo at a beauty supply store by me, so I am set for about a year! Seriously worth it! And, it doesn't strip or dry out your skin!

What a great tutorial! I get so frustrated trying to remove my glitter polishes. 

I've found that acetone and a paper towel works for me to get glitter off. And I use glitter probably 2 out of every 5 times I do my nails if not more!

wow sooo cool, I in fact always struggle to remove glitter nail polish. I have one on right now and was wondering how I will remove it! so glad I came accross this video

I wear glitter polish often. I use a thick coat of Sally Hansen Salon Manicure Base Coat and a quick-dry top coat (Poshe, Seche Vite, or Orly Sec 'N' Dry), always. After a few minutes in hot water (usually a shower or bath), it just peels off.

I don't wear glitter that often (because of the removal), but when I do, I go find that pile of stuff I need to hand wash and get to washing. By the time I'm done with the last sweater, there's usually several nails that have popped the polish right off, and the others can be lifted off. It's not peeling because as the warm water softens and swells your nails a bit, the bonds between the polish and the nail pop free. Taking a nice long bath can do it too.

I found a pin on Pinterest that really made me think, so I tried it, and it worked! If you use and empty nail polish bottle and put Elmer's glue in it, you can paint a thin coat of glue on your nails first. You wait for the glue to dry, and then apply the glitter polish over it. You can apply as many coats of polish/lacquer as you want to! Then when you want to remove it, you use a cuticle stick to lift the glue from the edges and it peels of in one piece. I am not sure if this is allowed, but I am going to link the Pinterest DIY site here. It worked for me, so I thought I would share. Any feedback would be great!! http://pinterest.com/pin/178314466467636070/

I just use regular remover and these square cotton pads from the grocery store. They're in the q-tip area. They're kind of fluffy, and get caught on the glitter but they remove it.

Back