Julep August 2012 Boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Grateful I don't like the colors so I can skip. Spent way too much $ lately
Exactly. They got me last month with all the beautiful options, but this month was really easy to skip. I didn't really see anything that really stood out to me as a unique must have. 

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stefani is also preexisting - I picked that one up from Sephora a few months ago.
Harley looks like it might be Leighton (October), and if that's the case, the It Girl box has *two* polishes that were already sent in the It Girl boxes (I don't have the email any more, but I'm about 98% sure that Sienna was in the very first It Girl box.  At least I know I have it, and I know it was in one of the early boxes, and I think that's the only box I can't find in my email archive).  

I'm leaning towards not skipping but switching to Boho Glam because that looks like a metallic version of July's It Girl box minus the glitter, and those shades are right up my alley.  I'll probably add Melanie and...  Actually, that looks like that's it.  I'm getting Alfre in a swap, I already swapped Leighton away because I have several silvers almost exactly like it, Kim looks boring, I have Sienna, and warm colors don't work for me.  I'm kind of bummed that there are so few in this collection that I really want because I lovelove*love* chromes/metallics.  Oh, well.  I already have epic amounts of polish already, I just ordered five a-england polishes (my collection is now complete!), and I will have an entire China Glaze collection to buy in a month or two when their New Bohemian collection (one of the few things I love more than metallics/chromes is duochromes) is released.

I told myself I was going to skip this month...not only did I keep my boho glam box but I went ahead and ordered the add-ons; all 3 they allowed! Oh well, haha.

I skipped. I didn't love the colors and I've been away, so I have my welcome box waiting when I get home!!! That plus recent purchases are enough for me to play with right now.

I skipped, too. Normally I receive It Girl (and last month it was awesome), but this one is just meh. I literally just bought Trixie by Zoya, which is a gorgeous, perfect silver metallic, and I don't need another. 

I switched from Classic With A Twist to American Beauty (Dakota & Stefani) with Alfre as an add on. Out of the almost 100 nail polishes that I own I only have one metallic (a gold one that I got in my birchbox) so I was very excited about this months box.

I'm Classic with a Twist, but switched to American Beauty this month.  I also got Piper and Kim as add ons.  I already have Sienna and Alfre.  I'm really excited about trying their nail polish remover.

I hate metallics, they're so not worth the streaking issues to me, so the only reason I'm getting this month's box is because I have enough referral credits to get it for free. I've changed my mind at least once a day about which box to get, but I think I'm sticking with It Girl -- I just got the 32oz refill of Zoya's polish remover last month (good lord, that bottle is GIGANTIC) so the absolute last thing I need right now is nail polish remover. If you're not fully stocked, though, I'd say it's probably worth it; nothing beats a high-quality nail polish remover that's good on your nails and cuticles and doesn't stink up a room with acetone (hence why I spent $20 on a 32oz bottle of Zoya, lol).

Anyway, my thoughts on the It Girl colors are pretty 'meh', though. The only one I'm excited about is Harley, because it looks super-smooth and not streaky. I love Melanie in theory but even from the swatch photo you can tell it's a streaky mess. Sienna is definitely not my kind of color, so hopefully I can trade that away. I'd love Piper, but I don't want it enough to pay the add-on price for it. Anyone want to trade me it for Sienna? 
biggrin.gif

Xiehan, you might be surprised about Sienna.  When I first saw it online I thought it would be awful but I was really surprised when I actually got it.  It isn't super gold like say, Oscar.  It is more of a warm glittery wash of color.  I use it on top of other polishes to give it a very subtle sparkle.  Even my Mom likes it and she usually only likes clear polish.

Originally Posted by LyndaV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Xiehan, you might be surprised about Sienna.  When I first saw it online I thought it would be awful but I was really surprised when I actually got it.  It isn't super gold like say, Oscar.  It is more of a warm glittery wash of color.  I use it on top of other polishes to give it a very subtle sparkle.  Even my Mom likes it and she usually only likes clear polish.
Interesting... yeah, I looked at some swatches and it actually looks quite pretty, but I feel like the color just wouldn't work for my skintone. I have very pale, very yellow-toned skin, so I feel like it would just wash me out way too much. But, we'll see how I feel about it when it gets here, I suppose!

Well I thought I was being good and not adding on but ended up adding three at the last minute (sienna, piper, and Harley) and switched from It Girl to American Beauty.

Originally Posted by MakeupGalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I thought I was being good and not adding on but ended up adding three at the last minute (sienna, piper, and Harley) and switched from It Girl to American Beauty.
Lol, the add ons are awesome and hard to resist, considering the discount you're getting them for. That leads me to believe there's just a  ridiculous mark up on the polishes lol.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol, the add ons are awesome and hard to resist, considering the discount you're getting them for. That leads me to believe there's just a  ridiculous mark up on the polishes lol.
General rule of thumb on marking prices up, is that the price you pay is *typically* 2x what the seller bought the item for, which is still more than the cost to produce the item. Of course there are products where the markup is more, and then there are the "loss leaders" (those massively sale priced items featured that week/whatever in xyz store). So, I'm guessing that they're still making money off of the add-ons at the discounted price.

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

General rule of thumb on marking prices up, is that the price you pay is *typically* 2x what the seller bought the item for, which is still more than the cost to produce the item. Of course there are products where the markup is more, and then there are the "loss leaders" (those massively sale priced items featured that week/whatever in xyz store). So, I'm guessing that they're still making money off of the add-ons at the discounted price.
For sure lol. I am a little perturbed about their regular prices, considering how little product you get for the price. Especially when you compare to other companies/brands. I almost cancelled because of that, but I opted to stay because I do love the polishes and like the skip option. So I skip a month or two, then snag a box and some add ons when they look really promising.

So I just checked out my tracking for my box and add-ons, my add-ons should be here today (shipped first class) but my box hasn't updated but it is getting shipped priority. So maybe a golden box?

Originally Posted by zorabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I just checked out my tracking for my box and add-ons, my add-ons should be here today (shipped first class) but my box hasn't updated but it is getting shipped priority. So maybe a golden box?
It's possible, but its also possible that the polish remover is making all the boxes heavy this month.

After going on to their FB page I think everyone (except It girl) is having theirs ship priority. Probably cause of the remover.

Originally Posted by MakeupGalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After going on to their FB page I think everyone (except It girl) is having theirs ship priority. Probably cause of the remover.
Dang, I was hoping to be one of the lucky ones this month.

Back