Life's Entropy

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had known ordering a Brow Pomade with my lipsticks right when she opened meant I would be one of the last to get my orders, I would have skipped getting the brow pomade....sometimes the way indie owners do things make me want to scream.

If I had known ordering a Brow Pomade with my lipsticks right when she opened meant I would be one of the last to get my orders, I would have skipped getting the brow pomade....sometimes the way indie owners do things make me want to scream.
Agreed!  If I would have known she only had 30 of each color in stock, I might have placed my order with her earlier in my shopping day.  And seriously, if you are an Indie company why do you wait until Black Friday to offer new releases or Christmas collections if you don't have enough stock on hand to ship them before Christmas?  Same thing with the Halloween collections.  At a minimum I want to receive the items before the holiday in question.  But I would really like to receive them early enough that I can WEAR them during the appropriate season.

Agreed!  If I would have known she only had 30 of each color in stock, I might have placed my order with her earlier in my shopping day.  And seriously, if you are an Indie company why do you wait until Black Friday to offer new releases or Christmas collections if you don't have enough stock on hand to ship them before Christmas?  Same thing with the Halloween collections.  At a minimum I want to receive the items before the holiday in question.  But I would really like to receive them early enough that I can WEAR them during the appropriate season.
I think its a live and learn experience. This is a small independent seller, not a big name label with tons of numbers to give them predictions. She must not have had anything to indicate *that many* orders would have been placed. I mean, she only has 456 likes on facebook. Like  @@rachelshine said, she probably isn't aware *how big* of a following she has on larger websites like Reddit.

I honestly think the winter collection is a overall wearable collection anytime though, except for maybe blackbody.

I think its a live and learn experience. This is a small independent seller, not a big name label with tons of numbers to give them predictions. She must not have had anything to indicate *that many* orders would have been placed. I mean, she only has 456 likes on facebook. Like  @@rachelshine said, she probably isn't aware *how big* of a following she has on larger websites like Reddit.
This is the thing that always gets me. They have a way to see how many customers they have, and yes of course with a new product/release/sale you will be bringing in new customers, but you've got to be able to look at how many customers you have and say ok I will probably be getting at least this many orders? I don't know, sometimes I think a lot of indie owners just get so caught up in the creation side of the business, that they forget the actual business aspect. For me it just seems like common sense, but maybe I understand something about it they don't.

This is the thing that always gets me. They have a way to see how many customers they have, and yes of course with a new product/release/sale you will be bringing in new customers, but you've got to be able to look at how many customers you have and say ok I will probably be getting at least this many orders? I don't know, sometimes I think a lot of indie owners just get so caught up in the creation side of the business, that they forget the actual business aspect. For me it just seems like common sense, but maybe I understand something about it they don't.
Totally makes sense. I considered trying my hand at making wedding bouquets and putting them on etsy (I've made mine and I think they turned out nice) but I think my lack of "business sense" has kind of made me afraid to give it a shot.

I definitely think that are creative people out there who have business sense, but I think there are creative people that don't want to think about that stuff and just want to make things because its fun (like myself), and business people who have no creativity at all.

So much THIS.  She is a Reddit user, she should not have had her head in the sand.  While 450 orders may not have been foreseeable, 30 seems like a ridiculously low number.  And let's give her the benefit of the doubt and say she really could not have predicted more than 30 per color.  Well then she should have handled it like Hello Waffle did...communicate that she has limited stock available and only put that much up for sale.  If you get your order in, you know it will be coming in a reasonable amount of time.  THEN re-list for future orders and clearly state they will have a longer turn around time.  That way you are being honest with your customers and they are able to make informed shopping decisions.

I just really think she was SHOCKED so many people liked her stuff and wanted a piece of the action! She may have known that IMAM loves her, but wasn't expecting people outside of that little bubble to get them too. Plus, they are NEW products completely. Not the lip tar dupes, but actual lipsticks. And are more expensive for her to make. She probably didn't want to gamble making say, 100 of each color, and have it blow up in her face. 

I say, thankfully it's not a specific themed collection. Like when NM took EONS to ship out their Halloween orders. While the colors could be used at any time, many of you wanted to use them specifically for Halloween. Also, I don't doubt Jane is working her ass off to get these orders out. I believe it's just her (her bf runs her site I believe) and she is dealing with a family friend with a terminal illness. At the end of the day, it's just lipstick. I know we paid for it, but we'll get it soon and it will be glorious. 

FWIW, I didn't pull the trigger on placing a LE order until I saw a ton of great pictures of the lip theories on /r/MUA. That was black friday weekend. That subreddit has over 200k subscribers.

I'm hoping that my order will ship soon since I just ordered the lipsticks. But, we'll see!

If they don't ship soon, I'll probably forget about them & it will just be a really nice surprise when they show up :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My previous order took the entire TAT from her, so I expected this to take at least that long (I can't remember how long,,, I don't think it was as long as my Darling Girl order though). I think she's been straightforward and upfront about her extended TAT, why it's that long, and where she is in fulfilling orders. She seems to be making smaller batches that she feels comfortable taking a loss on, and then making much larger supply purchases as soon as she figures out the demand. As long as she is clear about this and is sending quality products, it's not a problem for me.

So much THIS.  She is a Reddit user, she should not have had her head in the sand.  While 450 orders may not have been foreseeable, 30 seems like a ridiculously low number.  And let's give her the benefit of the doubt and say she really could not have predicted more than 30 per color.  Well then she should have handled it like Hello Waffle did...communicate that she has limited stock available and only put that much up for sale.  If you get your order in, you know it will be coming in a reasonable amount of time.  THEN re-list for future orders and clearly state they will have a longer turn around time.  That way you are being honest with your customers and they are able to make informed shopping decisions.
It was actually a bit of a last minute decision. She had originally intended for there only to be 30 tubes of each period. However, the 48 hours before the sale had so many people asking her to do a few more made her decide to make them unlimited, preventing her from making new stock in time. 

A lot of the indies (even the very active Reddit ones) were unprepared for the orders they received. Ten Three Labs is extremely Reddit active and in discussions at IMAM and she prepared for 25 orders on Black Friday. She ended getting over 200. I think a lot of them just don't realize how in demand vegan, handmade, quality products at a lower cost are. 

Squeeeeee!!!! I got my package yesterday!!! I ordered the 3 lighter lipsticks, sample of the animal eyeshadows, and a contour stick. Haven't swatched the latter 2, but omg...the lipsticks. And the GWP lipgloss in chaos.

I MUST HAVE THEM ALL.

I had my doubts. I love my nars audacious. But-these are sooo close to the texture-maybe a little bit less creamy, like 1% less...they honestly remind me of the mac mineralize lipsticks. And they stay!

Anybody want swatches?

I want to see the swatches, too. I've just started reading this thread today and I already want those lipsticks once she opens again!

I will swatch when the kitty wakes up...I'm a sucker for a sleeping kitty on my lap :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> my little kitten is whopping 20 lbs now!

I did email jane to see when she is opening up her store so I could buy the others....no response yet!

10864766_1573150892916253_962591243_n.jpg

Milky Way, Supernova, Fluxx, Plasma, Blackbody. And then the Chaos Lip Theory GWP on the right. 

Obsessed with all of these. They're super opaque and smell good enough to eat :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm obsessed with Milky Way, Plasma, and Blackbody. Looks like the lip theories have a tendency to bleed like lip tars - this is going to take some practicing for me when I get mine in the mail, since I still suck at applying lip tars  :lol:

Back